Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Broncos won’t pick up option on Russell Okung

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Default Report: Broncos won’t pick up option on Russell Okung

Just now on PFT. Per Jay Glazer of Fox Sports:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...russell-okung/

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived LTC Pain For This Post:

I wouldn't mind him back here on some kind of restructured deal, just because we have enough moving parts on the line as it is. But he's not worth the $20.5 million guaranteed that would kick in if we picked it up. Gives us around $43 million to work with now, but of course, we now need a new LT.

Of course the Broncos aren't going to pick up Okung's contract at this point, but they have several weeks before they have to decide, so I doubt Elway even knows at this point.

If they can engineer a trade for a LT like Kelvin Beachum, they won't have to pay Okung. But, if not, they could be forced to do it.

So, this report is pretty much garbage at this point. Jay Glazer was the idiot who was close to John Fox and broke the news that Fox wouldn't be back -- the very morning of the playoff game against the Colts which Fox then proceeded to tank! I doubt he's particularly close to Elway though after that fiasco!

Elway is certainly not telling reporters right now what his plans are, and it's unlikely he even knows, since FA hasn't begun yet and it's uncertain whether he can sign a FA LT or not. He might like a guy, and get out-bid or the target might just sign with another team for instance.

Looks like Elway is on a mission to completely rebuild that line. Bring in Reilly Rief in FA and let him and a rookie tackle battle it out for the left tackle spot. Loser moves to RT.

6. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Looks like Elway is on a mission to completely rebuild that line. Bring in Reilly Rief in FA and let him and a rookie tackle battle it out for the left tackle spot. Loser moves to RT.
    Looks like Jay Glazer is full of hot air again, which is not unusual for him. How can he know anything at this point when we haven't even started FA? Elway has several weeks to decide what to do about Okung and he doesn't have another starting LT on the roster. He might get rid of Okung, but only if he can find someone else at least as good who's cheaper.

Riley Reiff for instance is no upgrade: "OT, Lions. Age: 28.

"Riley Reiff was moved to right tackle this season after the Lions spent their 2016 first-round pick on Taylor Decker. Reiff has been a pretty average blocker throughout his career despite being a former first-round selection himself."

In short, Reiff was a bust at LT, so the Lions moved him to RT, and had to use a #1 pick on a LT, which no team wants to do! (I.e. waste multiple 1st round picks on the same position). Now he's overpaid for a RT so they are cutting him loose.

Pass.
    Last edited by Cugel; 02-23-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Of course the Broncos aren't going to pick up Okung's contract at this point, but they have several weeks before they have to decide, so I doubt Elway even knows at this point.

If they can engineer a trade for a LT like Kelvin Beachum, they won't have to pay Okung. But, if not, they could be forced to do it.

So, this report is pretty much garbage at this point. Jay Glazer was the idiot who was close to John Fox and broke the news that Fox wouldn't be back -- the very morning of the playoff game against the Colts which Fox then proceeded to tank! I doubt he's particularly close to Elway though after that fiasco!

Elway is certainly not telling reporters right now what his plans are, and it's unlikely he even knows, since FA hasn't begun yet and it's uncertain whether he can sign a FA LT or not. He might like a guy, and get out-bid or the target might just sign with another team for instance.
    This is a picture of a circle:

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 7 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Looks like Jay Glazer is full of hot air again, which is not unusual for him. How can he know anything at this point when we haven't even started FA? Elway has several weeks to decide what to do about Okung and he doesn't have another starting LT on the roster. He might get rid of Okung, but only if he can find someone else at least as good who's cheaper.
    You understand why Elway can't wait for free agency to make the decision, correct? We've been over this, already.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Cameron Wolfe also reporting it. He's probably an idiot who couldn't possibly know anything too, right Cugel?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I drove Glazer around for a week in '98. He's a great guy. He doesn't miss much.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    You understand why Elway can't wait for free agency to make the decision, correct? We've been over this, already.
    No. He can try and trade for Kelvin Beachum at the Combine next week, THEN make a decision. If he lands a trade he can let Okung go. If not, he can decide what to do then. Obviously he doesn't want to pay Okung $11M. But, that's not the question. The question is "what's the alternative?" Is there someone out there better? Or at least better value?

Andrew Whitworth for instance? He's been good, but he's 35 and former Broncos T Tyler Polumbus says he can barely move at all. And how much would he cost? How much longer can he play?

Sebastian Vollmer 33 yrs. old? The Pats are cutting him loose which isn't a good sign, since Belichick normally takes in older players, gets a couple seasons worth out of them, and then cuts them when they're used up. Then some team swoops in and signs the guy and usually finds out he can't play anymore.

I don't know that Vollmer is washed up, but I don't trust Pats retreads.

The oft-injured Matt Kalil? He's 28, but his injury history is pretty bad. Pass.

Browns RT Adam Pasztor? He's a RT, and played pretty mediocre.

Ryan Clady whom the Jets turned loose after 1 season? He hasn't played a full season in the last 5 years, except 2014 when he was pretty bad for much of the season. He keeps hurting his left knee. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Fill me in, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    I drove Glazer around for a week in '98. He's a great guy. He doesn't miss much.
    I don't care if you like the guy. Do you really believe that Elway is talking to that stiff and telling him what his plans are? Especially when Elway can't know exactly what his plans are at this point anyway? He might be able to swing a trade for a guy or he might not. He might have a good lead on a potential FA prospect or he might not.

And I don't believe he's telling Jay Glazer anything right now.

As for the disreputable part that Glazer played in making sure his buddy John Fox got the Chicago Bears job I hate Glazer! He made sure to break the report that Fox was not going to be in Denver the next season - just ahead of the Colts playoff game. Fox & Glazer did that in order to make sure that the Bears realized that Fox was on the way out of Denver so they wouldn't sign another coach.

They got the message. Then Fox went out and tanked the playoff game and he and his coaches all cleared out their lockers and went off to other jobs in the NFL. It was all very dirty. They didn't want to win that game because it would have meant he couldn't interview for his next job until after the Broncos playoff run. And the Bears might not have waited.

As Elway said there was no "kicking and screaming" the team just lay down in the playoffs and mailed it in.
    Last edited by Cugel; 02-23-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Every beat writer is reporting it. I'm not sure why you doubt the validity of the statement. They're saying Okung was told the Broncos aren't picking up the option. That's not a rumor, that's fact.

BTW, Beachum was cut and is a FA

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Every beat writer is reporting it. I'm not sure why you doubt the validity of the statement. They're saying Okung was told the Broncos aren't picking up the option. That's not a rumor, that's fact.

BTW, Beachum was cut and is a FA
    cugel won't believe it 'til he hears it from the insiders at 104.3TheFan. . .

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I don't care if you like the guy. Do you really believe that Elway is talking to that stiff and telling him what his plans are? Especially when Elway can't know exactly what his plans are at this point anyway? He might be able to swing a trade for a guy or he might not. He might have a good lead on a potential FA prospect or he might not.

And I don't believe he's telling Jay Glazer anything right now.

As for the disreputable part that Glazer played in making sure his buddy John Fox got the Chicago Bears job I hate Glazer! He made sure to break the report that Fox was not going to be in Denver the next season - just ahead of the Colts playoff game. Fox & Glazer did that in order to make sure that the Bears realized that Fox was on the way out of Denver so they wouldn't sign another coach.

They got the message. Then Fox went out and tanked the playoff game and he and his coaches all cleared out their lockers and went off to other jobs in the NFL. It was all very dirty. They didn't want to win that game because it would have meant he couldn't interview for his next job until after the Broncos playoff run. And the Bears might not have waited.
    How old are you?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information