Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Report: Broncos won’t pick up option on Russell Okung

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Jeff Davidson, he's legit. Chris Strausser is his new Assistant OL Coach, he's legit.

Ogbuehi is legit. Bungals are shit.
    I'm Joel and I approve of this message. Wait, secret bribes=free speech now, so I don't have to say that anymore:

SUCK IT, DEMOCRACY!
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Actually, the Bungles are NOT shit. They have a pretty good and dangerous team. They just happen to have a QB who chokes in the playoffs against really good teams. And some not so good ones. And some teams that slid into the playoffs by accident. And some teams that have no clue how they managed to get in, but are just going to roll with it. And some teams. . . . . . . . . .

As of late yesterday, the Broncos were still exploring the option of bringing Russell Okung back to start at LT, but at a reduced rate. Russell is OK with the idea of returning, but wants to test the FA market.

According to 9News Broncos Insider Mike Klis, if Okung tests FA, then the Broncos are moving on from him. All this means Okung is moving to a new team. Four teams are now in a bidding war for him and he's going to get at least $8-10M a year. The Jets and Panthers are reportedly the newest teams to be interested in him.

James Palmer of NFL Media is reporting that the Broncos and free agent LT Russell Okung are discussing a potential return for him to Denver.

Okung is considered to be the best available left tackle in this year’s free agent market and has been linked to the Panthers, Broncos, Giants, Jets, Chargers and Vikings.

Master Tesfatsion of the Washington Post previously mentioned Okung will be able to secure an even better contract than the one-year, $5 million deal he signed with the Broncos last year. This contract did include a four-year,$48 million option, but it was ultimately declined by the Broncos a few weeks ago.

Tesfatsion added that the belief right now is that Okung should be able to get between $10-12 million per season when all is said and done.

Broncos GM John Elway said that they have not “moved on” from Okung, despite the fact that they declined to pick up his option last week.

Okung, 28, is a former first-round pick of the Seahawks back in 2010. After six years in Seattle, Okung signed a one-year, $5 million contract that included a team option with the Broncos in March of last year.

The Broncos had until March 9 to pick up Okung’s $1 million team option. Had they exercised his option, they would have added four years at $48 million with $21 million guaranteed to his contract.
    This repeats the problems the Broncos are finding trying to upgrade their team. Everywhere other teams with a lot more money are outbidding them for FAs. The Browns and 49ers have around $100 M and even the Patriots have $60M under the cap. Broncos are 10th in terms of FA space under the cap, which sounds great, but lots of teams have more.

Now the top FA target after NT Chris Baker of the Redskins (who could get over $8M a year), would be re-signing Okung. But now that's not happening, their top LT target is down to Whitworth, who will get $11-12 M and is likely to return to the Bengals and is 36 years old anyway.

Apparently the Broncos are not interested in the Lions Reilly Reiff who got demoted to RT and now could be available. He's not a true LT.

Maybe

According to Broncos Insider Mike Klis, unless some RT falls into their lap in FA (and that is not one of their top 4 FA priorities - #1 Tony Romo, #2 DT Chris Baker, #3 LT (someone, anyone!), #4 RG - TJ Lang?) the Broncos starting RT in 2017 comes down to a "competition" between RT Donald Stephenson (Urg!), Ty Sambrailo (Urf!) and Michael Schofield (Gag!).

They could try and land a RT in the draft, but it would be difficult for a rookie to start and play well at that position and there are not a lot of great tackles in this draft.

So, unless they land a trade or some RT finds his market unexpectedly falling (the opposite appears to be happening with Ricky Wagner set to break the ALL-TIME RT FA record of $11.2M a year), the Broncos starting RT would appear to be already on the roster. And not in a good way either!

Has someone actually gone on record that a broken down over-the-hill QB is our #1 FA priority despite last years 1st rounder and ANOTHER guy who had a great NFL debut being on the roster for at least two more seasons, while our current line would virtually GUARANTEE this is Romos final season if he comes here?

I mean, I don't mean to be a jerk, Cugel, but aren't these the same "NFL insiders" who told you we'd NEVER let Okung hit the open market when we could lock him up for 4 seasons with the flip of a switch (and $50M)? Because, y'know... we did PRECISELY that ANYWAY. I'm not sure which would be more stupefying: That professional sports journalists (if that's not a contradiction in terms...) are saying we'll start Schofrailo at RT, or that Elway might ACTUALLY do that.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it's the "journalists" with no clue wtf they're doing, not our GM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Has someone actually gone on record that a broken down over-the-hill QB is our #1 FA priority despite last years 1st rounder and ANOTHER guy who had a great NFL debut being on the roster for at least two more seasons, while our current line would virtually GUARANTEE this is Romos final season if he comes here?

I mean, I don't mean to be a jerk, Cugel, but aren't these the same "NFL insiders" who told you we'd NEVER let Okung hit the open market when we could lock him up for 4 seasons with the flip of a switch (and $50M)? Because, y'know... we did PRECISELY that ANYWAY. I'm not sure which would be more stupefying: That professional sports journalists (if that's not a contradiction in terms...) are saying we'll start Schofrailo at RT, or that Elway might ACTUALLY do that.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it's the "journalists" with no clue wtf they're doing, not our GM.
    Every writer I've seen has said that our priorities are LT and some sort of DL. The Romo thing may happen but no one is making it priority one in the media and I doubt that's how Elway is approaching it as of now.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Cugel, please tell us how the NFL works.

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Every writer I've seen has said that our priorities are LT and some sort of DL. The Romo thing may happen but no one is making it priority one in the media and I doubt that's how Elway is approaching it as of now.
    That sure as Hell makes a lot more sense. That is, last year was a keen reminder that what's logical and what actually HAPPENS don't always coincide, but I'd like to think there's at least some bastion of sanity left in the world.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post

Uh, Mike Klis? Literally every one in town with a finger on the pulse?

Did you know that ostriches don't actually stick their heads in the ground?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

12. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I'll never understand people's preoccupation with building a team and THEN worrying about the QB, that's ass-backwards.

Wait til there are no holes left to fill and then get the most important piece?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

I wonder if Joel is still holding out, now that everybody in the NFL is saying that Houston and Denver are both in the hunt for Romo, and essentially it's down to those two teams since Romo just said publicly to Dallas reporters that he wants to go to a team that has a great defense and is ready to win a SB. That pretty much eliminates every possible team except Houston and Denver.

Of course the Texans will win because they just gave up a 2nd and 6th round pick just to free up $16M under the cap to throw at Romo - unless Jerry Jones decides to utterly screw him by either trading Romo to Denver, or else just keeping him.

Wouldn't that be hilarious? Jerry has to be chortling about the possibility of pulling a Lucy to the Texans' Charlie Brown and yank Romo away from them after they just got rid of their starting QB? You just KNOW Jerry would utterly love that, if he could get away with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Of course the Broncos aren't going to pick up Okung's contract at this point, but they have several weeks before they have to decide, so I doubt Elway even knows at this point.

If they can engineer a trade for a LT like Kelvin Beachum, they won't have to pay Okung. But, if not, they could be forced to do it.

So, this report is pretty much garbage at this point. Jay Glazer was the idiot who was close to John Fox and broke the news that Fox wouldn't be back -- the very morning of the playoff game against the Colts which Fox then proceeded to tank! I doubt he's particularly close to Elway though after that fiasco!

Elway is certainly not telling reporters right now what his plans are, and it's unlikely he even knows, since FA hasn't begun yet and it's uncertain whether he can sign a FA LT or not. He might like a guy, and get out-bid or the target might just sign with another team for instance.
    So, this report isn't "garbage" as your "very professional" analysis and expertise concluded huh Cugel!
    Last edited by LTC Pain; 03-09-2017 at 09:50 PM.

16. The Following User High Fived LTC Pain For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information