Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Broncos won’t pick up option on Russell Okung

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I hear they are going with only four linemen next season. Revamping the offense.
    Yeah. Lynch is just going to take the ball and sprint to his right on every play. Sounds OK to me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Glad to hear Elway is keeping you informed of his decisions on a regular basis. Keep up the good work.
    I'm sorry you spent all morning banging out posts about how the Broncos have no choice but to keep him.

It sounded like BS even before this news came out...just an FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

There would be perpetual shadows in certain places and life as we know it probably wouldn't exist?
    In that case, I want to meet a girl from "certain places." She'd be fun at a full moon party.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

What is a full moon party?

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I'm sorry you spent all morning banging out posts about how the Broncos have no choice but to keep him.

It sounded like BS even before this news came out...just an FYI.
    From my point of view, the only certainty was that Elway had no choice but to decline to pick up the option. Everything else, including signing Okung to a new deal (even if that were to happen before March 8) remains a choice that Elway has in front of him. Okung was holding an unsuited 8-10 and the flop was A-K-7. Elway is holding a Jacks or better pair. Exercising the option would have been Elway folding before the turn.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

I hear they are going with only four linemen next season. Revamping the offense.
    Worked for Belichick in that one game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    From my point of view, the only certainty was that Elway had no choice but to decline to pick up the option. Everything else, including signing Okung to a new deal (even if that were to happen before March 8) remains a choice that Elway has in front of him. Okung was holding an unsuited 8-10 and the flop was A-K-7. Elway is holding a Jacks or better pair. Exercising the option would have been Elway folding before the turn.
    I don't play poker, but I agree with your first two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Basically this story isn't news anyway. Of course the Broncos aren't thrilled to pick up Okung's deal. That's been known since he signed it! The question is:

1. Will the Broncos re-negotiate with Okung a more cap-friendly deal or cut him loose? The article just assumes they cut him, but that's certainly not a given.

2. Can they trade for a LT like Kelvin Beachum ahead of FA? If so, then Okung becomes expendable and there's no chance they bring him back. If not then do they like the FAs available?

If so then Okung becomes expendable. If not or if they don't think they can find anybody then they have to keep him.
    With us declining the option, he will test FA. There's always a (slim) chance he's back, but this is akin to cutting him. If they had been working on renegotiating a deal before FA, we would have heard about it by now (or they would have waited longer to let him go).

I don't know why you keep bringing up trading for Beachum - he was cut and is a FA, just like Okung is now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Greg Dulcich

Not surprised. Keeping him would be the "safe" thing to do, but Elway doesn't play it safe and bring back over priced average players. Elway is going to do what he needs to make the team better and not just go the safe route. I like the idea of having more money to play with. In JFE we trust!

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. ---- Pope John Paul II

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    What is a full moon party?
    I'm not sure, but apparently you get to rail hippies there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos won't pick up option of tackle Russell Okung

The Denver Broncos have informed offensive tackle Russell Okung that they will not pick up his option, sources confirmed to ESPN.

If the Broncos had exercised their $1 million option on Okung, he could have earned up to $48 million over another four years.

Okung, 29, had a $1 million option bonus due between the fifth day after the Super Bowl (Feb. 10) and the first day of the league year (March 9). If that option was exercised, his 2017 ($2 million) and 2018 base salaries ($9.5 million) would have become fully guaranteed.

He also was due a roster bonus of $8 million on 10th day of league year. In addition, he was due a roster bonus of $93,750 every game in 2017 that he was on the 46-man active roster.

The Broncos save $10.9 million against their salary cap this season by not exercising the option.

Okung, a first-round draft pick, played with the Seahawks from 2010 to 2015 and was a part of Seattle's 2013 championship team. He signed with the Broncos in 2016.

The Broncos' decision was first reported by Fox Sports.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ng-pick-option

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Mike KlisVerified account‏@MikeKlis 42m42 minutes ago

There had been internal discussions Broncos would want Okung back at severe cut to play RT, but unlikely as he will test market. #9sports

Mike KlisVerified account‏@MikeKlis 38m38 minutes ago

Bengals OT Andrew Whitworth may be among FAs Broncos may target as they switch to power scheme. Vance Joseph with CIN in 2014-15 #9sports

RT? Slap him in the face on the way out the door?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Were the people who broke this story the same people that suggested Denver was a possible home for Jay Cutler?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

I have uncovered footage of Cugel from today:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    I’m the hobbit.

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information