Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vance Joseph and coordinator press conference

Default Vance Joseph and coordinator press conference

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 22m22 minutes ago

Vance Joseph opens by congratulating @Terrell_Davis on his HOF election. "He's a great Bronco, he' s a great example for our players."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 21m21 minutes ago

Joseph: "My first call was to Mike McCoy ... being an ex-head coach, that was important, being a successful coord. ... was more important."

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 21m21 minutes ago

Mike McCoy's first call was to Jeff Davidson as OL coach. #9sports

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 22m22 minutes ago

Vance Joseph on Mike McCoy: "I wanted a guy who could build a system to our players, and Mike was the guy."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 20m20 minutes ago

Joseph: "Our TE group is going to be important to our offensive production."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 20m20 minutes ago

Vance Joseph, on Eric Studesville: "He chose to stay here with us ... having Eric was a must."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 19m19 minutes ago

Vance Joseph on the defensive staff; "It was important that we keep that group somewhat intact."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 19m19 minutes ago

Vance Joseph: "Keeping Joe Woods as a defensive coordinator was vital."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 17m17 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said "3 or 4 teams" were chasing OLBs coach Fred Pagac, who returns for the 2017 season.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 17m17 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said Joe Woods will keep #Broncos defensive scheme in place as it was with Wade Phillips in charge.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 17m17 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said it was "a long search" for the ST coordinator before hiring Brock Olivo -- "a great communicator, great energy."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 15m15 minutes ago

Former Broncos strength/conditioning assistant Cedric Smith will return, Joseph announced, to work under Luke Richesson.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

McCoy said his family was excited about the possibility of coming back to Denver after Joseph called him about the OC gig.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 15m15 minutes ago

Mike McCoy: "To be able to come back a second time is something special. I understand what the expectations are here every year."

McCoy: "It was an easy decision to make" to come back to Denver.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 14m14 minutes ago

McCoy: "We're going to do what our players do best ... it's going to change from week to week ... whatever we think we need to do to win."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 14m14 minutes ago

McCoy: Coaching staff "is re-evaluating" the roster right now.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 14m14 minutes ago

McCoy: "We're going to build our system over time. We're working on putting the playbook together."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 13m13 minutes ago

McCoy: "We're going to give the players some flexibility. ... This is going to be a very player-friendly system."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 13m13 minutes ago

McCoy on Siemian & Lynch: "It's going to be an open competition with those two players."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 11m11 minutes ago

McCoy: The QBs "will start off on the same page of the playbook ... I'm big into talking to QBs & installing from a week-to-week basis."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 10m10 minutes ago

Mike McCoy: "I've got a burning desire to call plays and I did not do that the last 4 years. And that was hard."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 9m9 minutes ago

McCoy: "I'm excited to get back in this, to call plays. ... It's not my offense, it's the Broncos' offense."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 9m9 minutes ago

McCoy said he will lean on Jeff Davidson "with a lot of things on game day."

Mike McCoy: "Billy (Musgrave) once told me, 'If you do your work Mon.-Sat., it should make calling the plays on game day a lot easier.'"

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m8 minutes ago

McCoy: "I'm a lot better coach now than I was four years ago because of what I've been through -- both good and bad."

McCoy, on the QBs: "I'm happy with the two guys that we have."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 7m7 minutes ago

McCoy on Broncos' O-line: "We're in the process right now of evaluating that. ... As an entire offense, we all can improve."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

McCoy: "Our offense will go as far as our offensive line will take them."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 6m6 minutes ago

Mike McCoy on Broncos' O-line: "Jeff Davidson and John (Benton) will make them play better and they WILL play better next year."

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

Joe Woods: "I just can't wait to get going."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 5m5 minutes ago

Joe Woods on replacing @sonofbum: "Wade Phillips is going to go down as one of the best D-coordinators in the history of the NFL."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 5m5 minutes ago

Woods said he's had "great conversations" with Wade Phillips, said, "he's very happy for me."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 5m5 minutes ago

Woods: "The blueprint ... that's not going to change ... there are some things we can tweak to help enhance it."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 4m4 minutes ago

Woods: "Wade always gave us the opportunity to give our input on the gameplan. So I've been in front of the whole group. They know me."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 3m3 minutes ago

Woods on D's greatest need for improvement: "It's the run game. Last year was a little different for us in terms of how teams attacked us."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Woods: Defensive terminology "is going to be exactly the same."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Woods: "We want to fit the scheme to the players."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 2m2 minutes ago

Woods on DBs: "Definitely have big personalities in the room, but you learn those are the guys who are going to make big plays for you."

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Olivo said his interview with Vance Joseph lasted six hours ... thanks him for the "confidence to go w/ a first-time coordinator."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Olivo: "It's an honor to be a part of what many people believe to be the flagship franchise of the NFL."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Olivo: Without Dave Toub, "I wouldn't be here right now."

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1m1 minute ago

Brock Olivo is an earnest speaker. Enthusiastic.

Olivo said Toub was "very proud" ... compared it to a father sending his son off on a scholarship.

Olivo said Vance Joseph understands "the one-down philosophy," of how special teams has one chance to swing the game, not 3 downs.

Olivo: Identity is going to be "fast, smart, tough" ... says he knows the roster pretty well because of coaching against it.

Olivo: "We know what we're walking into here ... we love it."

Olivo said game-management was a part of the interview -- will work with Joseph & analytics guru Mitch Tanney on getting that down pat.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

Olivo said Toub taught him that you have to make sure the players not only learn what to do, but why they do it.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 4m4 minutes ago

Brock Olivo says we're going to KILL it on special teams - Keep It Likeable & Learnable. He's going to keep it simple.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 4m4 minutes ago

Olivo is the kind of coach who will have no problem getting guys to go through a wall for him. A ball of energy. That's how he played, too.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2m2 minutes ago

Brock Olivo on how to stop Tyreek Hill: "The flu. Flat tire, can't make it to the game.'' #9sports
    Last edited by VonDoom; 02-07-2017 at 04:44 PM.

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

well, that's a whole bunch of right things being said. . . now they just have to do the hard part, and actually go out and do it. . .

also. . .

Mike McCoy: "I've got a burning desire to call plays and I did not do that the last 4 years. And that was hard."

McCoy: "I'm excited to get back in this, to call plays. ... It's not my offense, it's the Broncos' offense."
    suck it, U29!

10. The Following 8 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Inlike mccoy emphasis that ol will need to play better. Obviously a point of coaching emphasis is to improve that group.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Inlike mccoy emphasis that ol will need to play better. Obviously a point of coaching emphasis is to improve that group.
    Still can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Anyone expecting McCoy, Davidson and Benton to turn Schofield or Garcia into All Pros will be sorely disappointed.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Still can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Anyone expecting McCoy, Davidson and Benton to turn Schofield or Garcia into All Pros will be sorely disappointed.
    I bet Garcia can be coached up

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I bet Garcia can be coached up
    Sure, but to what level? He's a good run blocker, but ANY kind of misdirection leaves him chasing his tail even after two years on the field. Then again, the same applies to Paradis and he's NOT a good run blocker (because he lacks the strength) but the consensus is he's the second coming of Tom Nalen.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

At least you caught the important quote: " Mike McCoy on Broncos' O-line: "Jeff Davidson and John (Benton) will make them play better and they WILL play better next year."

That means you should not expect the Broncos to go out in FA and replace the entire OL, just because Joel wants them to.

They are going to work with the majority of starters from 2016 and try and improve them, rather than just replace them.

I still expect them to go out in FA and acquire a RT because Donald Stephenson just flat sucked.

I still expect them to re-sign Russell Okung because there's nobody better available.

I still expect them to draft a couple of OL in the draft, but not in the first round and none of them will be intended as starters in 2017, rather long term developmental projects. Maybe in 2018 one or more of their 2017 OL draft picks will be ready to step in as a starter. Hopefully, they can come into the rotation later in the year, but we'll see.

In short, expect the OL to be a patch-work similar to what it was in 2016. Hopefully better coaching can help these guys, but no, I don't expect them to suddenly become All-Pros just because there's a new OL coach replacing Clancey Barone.

The line will continue to struggle in some games. And the QB is likely to get hurt as a result. That's why they are glad they have 2 QBs in Paxton & Trevor, because the chances of Trevor Siemian lasting the entire season without having to miss any games due to injury are not red hot. He's more injury prone than Tony Romo.

Sure, but to what level? He's a good run blocker, but ANY kind of misdirection leaves him chasing his tail even after two years on the field. Then again, the same applies to Paradis and he's NOT a good run blocker (because he lacks the strength) but the consensus is he's the second coming of Tom Nalen.
    Paradis was ranked by Football Outsiders as the #1 C in the NFL in 2016. You can argue with them, but not successfully.

The big problem for him is "how healthy is he going to be after his two hip surgeries?" Supposedly the doctors are "encouraged" by his response to the surgery. He's back on the bicycle the day after the surgery because doctors learned from the tragic case of Bo Jackson to keep the player active after the surgery.

We'll just have to see how the new system and his recovery from surgery goes in the off-season. He is now insisting that he's going to be ready for training camp, but that's wildly unlikely. They have got Connor McGovern, who is a big mauler who didn't get onto the field at all in his rookie year. They will probably want to coach him up a bit and he could be useful in rotation. He might even get the start at C if Paradis isn't ready game 1. That would be a cheaper alternative to going out in FA and getting a veteran C who can play if Paradis can't go.

As for Max Garcia, he's a mauler, like Louis Vasquez, (who they let go because he didn't fit into the ZBS very well). His problems in 2016, according to former teammate and fellow OL Tyler Polumbus, was that he was too aggressive and would attack his man from the snap, getting out of alignment with his fellow linemen all too often. That led to gaps in the blocking scheme.

Well, that's the kind of error that can be fixed with coaching and they are going to try and do it. He's still a young player, only entering his 2nd year as a starter, so we can expect some improvement. He's supposedly not great in space, but they are playing him at G and a new blocking scheme won't require him to kick out and move like the ZBS. They really didn't have the players to make that system work here in Denver, and they still don't have them now.

Admittedly, the OL isn't going to be great in any case, but it could be significantly improved over last years' group, even though they are keeping 3 or 4 starters from 2016.
    Last edited by Cugel; 02-08-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Paradis was ranked by Football Outsiders as the #1 C in the NFL in 2016. You can argue with them, but not successfully.

As for Max Garcia, he's a mauler, like Louis Vasquez, (who they let go because he didn't fit into the ZBS very well). His problems in 2016, according to former teammate and fellow OL Tyler Polumbus, was that he was too aggressive and would attack his man from the snap, getting out of alignment with his fellow linemen all too often. That led to gaps in the blocking scheme.

Well, that's the kind of error that can be fixed with coaching and they are going to try and do it. He's still a young player, only entering his 2nd year as a starter, so we can expect some improvement. He's supposedly not great in space, but they are playing him at G and a new blocking scheme won't require him to kick out and move like the ZBS. They really didn't have the players to make that system work here in Denver, and they still don't have them now.

Admittedly, the OL isn't going to be great in any case, but it could be significantly improved over last years' group, even though they are keeping 3 or 4 starters from 2016.
    Want to believe that, but don't.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I haven't read any post that suggested that they could turn those guys into all pros.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Eight takeaways from the Broncos' coaches as the offseason begins

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Tuesday's series of press conferences and meet-and-greets with Broncos coaches offered plenty of key items to disseminate as the Broncos' offseason gets underway.

A few pertinent takeaways from the day's proceedings:

1. JOSEPH "ABSOLUTELY" COMMITTED TO SIEMIAN AND LYNCH

Head Coach Vance Joseph made his intentions at quarterback clear, reiterating that his "vision" is to have Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch in an open competition for the starting job.

"They're both smart guys. Obviously different skill sets, but I'm committed to both of those kids," Joseph said. "They're good football players, and we've got to build around those guys."

The subject of Tony Romo arose, given that the Cowboys quarterback has been the focal point of rumors and chatter in recent weeks, but Joseph dismissed that.

"That's not even possible. He's under contract right now, so we can't discuss that, obviously," Joseph said. "But we've got two guys [Siemian and Lynch] that are capable. They're two different guys. They're two young guys, and we're excited about them both."

2. THE OFFENSIVE GAME PLANS WILL CHANGE "WEEK TO WEEK"
    rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...4-e5ad52a53feb

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

20. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Vance Joseph called our QB coordinator Bill Musgraves. Not Musgrave. Musgraves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information