Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Trevor Be Healthy For Training Camp?

Default Will Trevor Be Healthy For Training Camp?

Latest word from Tyler Polumbus on 104.3 The FAn (who played with most of the current Broncos and gets the latest word) is that Trevor Siemian has a 5th degree separation in his left (non throwing) shoulder, and according to medical reports, this is a 4 to 6 month recovery time after his surgery.

Normally a 5th degree separation is something doctors see with auto accident victims where the shoulder is crushed. It's a violent injury, much worse than a normal football injury -- which tend to be 1st to 3rd degree separation. Normally, a first or second degree separation doesn't require surgery.

The worst injuries, seen normally in industrial accident victims and such is a 6th degree separation. So, Trevor's injury is more severe than we knew.

It's likely now that Paxton Lynch will have to take all the first team snaps in OTS & Mini-camp starting in April (the Broncos get an extra week because the NFL gives them that due to breaking in a new coach). It's an open question how healthy Trevor will be to start training camp in July, but he should be healthy by the beginning of the next season.

This gives Paxton Lynch an opening. If he's getting the majority of 1st team snaps beginning training camp he could be the day 1 starter. Unless he just proves he's a bust of course, in which case the Broncos might very well add a veteran QB who could start in case Trevor is too hurt.

They will need at least another veteran arm for training camp. Now that need to have a reliable veteran QB grows more acute.

But, this is the opportunity Paxton has been waiting for. Trevor was always ahead of him because of being in the league an extra year. But, for now Paxton is scheduled to get all the first team reps and has an opportunity to "Wally Pip" Trevor. (Lou Gherig got his chance and never gave the Yankees job back to Wally Pip).

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Bottom line is its a great opportunity for Paxton to prove how much he has/hasnt improved and will make it harder for Trevor to hold onto his job because of missing valuable time. If Trevor can come back and still win the job than i think the writing would be on the wall for Lynch at that point.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

The writing would be on the wall, but that wouldn't mean the Broncos would get rid of Paxton. He's earning peanuts on a 5 year rookie deal.

Even if Trevor starts, there's no guarantee he won't get hurt again. Last year he was hurt 3 separate times including having an extremely severe left shoulder injury he apparently played through and the outside world didn't know was as bad as it is.

He was hurt in college and in his first year of the NFL. He's a small guy who is injury prone. Even if he starts, there's going to be opportunity for Paxton to start this season when Trevor gets hurt again. (and he probably will).

From there on, it's up to Paxton to prove he's ready to play in this league. Last year he wasn't.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The writing would be on the wall, but that wouldn't mean the Broncos would get rid of Paxton. He's earning peanuts on a 5 year rookie deal.

Even if Trevor starts, there's no guarantee he won't get hurt again. Last year he was hurt 3 separate times including having an extremely severe left shoulder injury he apparently played through and the outside world didn't know was as bad as it is.

He was hurt in college and in his first year of the NFL. He's a small guy who is injury prone. Even if he starts, there's going to be opportunity for Paxton to start this season when Trevor gets hurt again. (and he probably will).

From there on, it's up to Paxton to prove he's ready to play in this league. Last year he wasn't.

He might be earning peanuts but if he cant win the job in year two as a first round talent and out play the other guy (hypothetically) than there really isnt any point in keeping him unless he was destined to just be a backup. But the point is if Paxton cant win the job and make progress it would be quite clear that Denver would have to look elsewhere for their #1 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    He might be earning peanuts but if he cant win the job in year two as a first round talent and out play the other guy (hypothetically) than there really isnt any point in keeping him unless he was destined to just be a backup. But the point is if Paxton cant win the job and make progress it would be quite clear that Denver would have to look elsewhere for their #1 guy.
    That's just it. Why would Denver NOT keep him as a backup?

And if he's a backup now does that mean he has to remain a backup for the last 4 years of his contract? Not necessarily.

Unless the Broncos bring in a veteran like Tony Romo to start (less likely than not at this point if only because of how much $ Tony Romo would want), Paxton Lynch is taking all the first team snaps in OTAs & training camp.

This is his chance. But, if he shows he's still not ready, John Elway is not giving up on him. He'll have yet another chance in 2018 off-season.

And let's be realistic, he's probably going to start at least 1 or 2 games in 2017, given how injury prone Siemian (and Tony Romo of course) are. Even if BOTH Romo and Siemian were ahead of Lynch, it's an even money bet both of them get hurt this season and wind up on IR. Romo has played 5 games in 3 years.

And Siemian is having at least 1 major injury per season, including college. Usually more. He had 3 separate injuries last year including ankle and shoulder. In fact, he may well have had other minor injuries he concealed because he was so afraid of losing his starting job.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Elway won't try and draft another QB in the 2018 draft if he concludes Paxton can't do the job. But, he'll still be on the roster and he'll have other chances.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

That's just it. Why would Denver NOT keep him as a backup?
    They may or may not. But if he's not that good than even as a backup he may not be worth keeping. I can give you a list of bad QB's that were cut in the past by the Broncos because they were not even good enough to be back ups if you wish. Its not unheard of to see first round picks totally flame out and not even make the team. Siemian has shown that he has problems staying healthy so i dont think he will ultimately be the answer here so if by chance Paxton cant prove anything than im 100% sure that Elway and Denver will look elsewhere for a starter. The only way Paxton remains if he cant win the starting job is if he can be a competent backup but that remains to be seen right now.

All situations are different. They might cut him because he turns into a Brockhead and pouts like a hoe. They might cut him because he turned out to be so ******* bad that he makes Joey Harrington look like a god.

Or maybe he's just hurt all the time. Or they stumble upon another QB they think has a chance to develop but only want to carry 2 QB slots.

Or maybe there's a decent trade option. Or they are so tight against the cap that it's an easy cut.

Who knows?

Who? Who? Who?

Owls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Oh where art thou, dear Tony?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

They may or may not. But if he's not that good than even as a backup he may not be worth keeping. I can give you a list of bad QB's that were cut in the past by the Broncos because they were not even good enough to be back ups if you wish. Its not unheard of to see first round picks totally flame out and not even make the team. Siemian has shown that he has problems staying healthy so i dont think he will ultimately be the answer here so if by chance Paxton cant prove anything than im 100% sure that Elway and Denver will look elsewhere for a starter. The only way Paxton remains if he cant win the starting job is if he can be a competent backup but that remains to be seen right now.
    You're talking yourself into a position that makes no sense. Paxton Lynch was not expected to start last year. That was never the plan. He was admitted by all NFL scouts to be "very raw" and "a multi-year project" The plan was for Mark Sanchez to start, for Paxton to develop behind him, and for Trevor Siemian to be either the #3 QB or more likely get cut in training camp.

Sanchez sucked and Siemian won the starting job but he struggled staying healthy and only won 8 games while the team failed to make the playoffs.

Despite your opinion there is just zero chance Elway gives up on Lynch this season if he's still not ready. He's earning next to nothing and they would need a 3rd QB anyway since Trevor is so injury prone. (as is Romo).

If Paxton was making average QB money, he'd have to win the starting job this year or get released. But, since it's peanuts he stays. "Money talks and B.S. walks." -- My cousin always said that when we were boys and it's still true.

But, even if he's the backup in 2017 that wouldn't prevent him from suddenly turning into a quality starter in year 3. Trevor Siemian came out of nowhere last year and won the starting job. It would be possible for Lynch to do that next year. But, the longer he waits, the harder it will be to convince the coaches he's the starter.

Probably if he doesn't start in 2018 he gets released at the end of his 4th season (the Broncos decline to exercise the 5th year option for 1st round draft picks). That's how those former 1st round QB busts you see around the league (Matt Lienart come on down!) get to a new team. Their former team keeps them until they would have to pay them a lot of money -- then release them.
    Last edited by Cugel; 02-26-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Cugel is actually more pretentious than I am.

Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

You're talking yourself into a position that makes no sense. Paxton Lynch was not expected to start last year. That was never the plan. He was admitted by all NFL scouts to be "very raw" and "a multi-year project" The plan was for Mark Sanchez to start, for Paxton to develop behind him, and for Trevor Siemian to be either the #3 QB or more likely get cut in training camp.

Sanchez sucked and Siemian won the starting job but he struggled staying healthy and only won 8 games while the team failed to make the playoffs.

Despite your opinion there is just zero chance Elway gives up on Lynch this season if he's still not ready. He's earning next to nothing and they would need a 3rd QB anyway since Trevor is so injury prone. (as is Romo).

If Paxton was making average QB money, he'd have to win the starting job this year or get released. But, since it's peanuts he stays. "Money talks and B.S. walks." -- My cousin always said that when we were boys and it's still true.

But, even if he's the backup in 2017 that wouldn't prevent him from suddenly turning into a quality starter in year 3. Trevor Siemian came out of nowhere last year and won the starting job. It would be possible for Lynch to do that next year. But, the longer he waits, the harder it will be to convince the coaches he's the starter.

Probably if he doesn't start in 2018 he gets released at the end of his 4th season (the Broncos decline to exercise the 5th year option for 1st round draft picks). That's how those former 1st round QB busts you see around the league (Matt Lienart come on down!) get to a new team. Their former team keeps them until they would have to pay them a lot of money -- then release them.
    I suggest you go back and read what i wrote because you clearly are having some comprehension problems. Especially pay special attention to my last sentence please. Everything else you are jibbering and jabbering about has nothing to do with what im talking about and i never brought it up once that Paxton should be starting year one. If there is anyone talking out their ass or in circles it is you my friend. Go back, read what i actually wrote and then comment.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Cugel is actually more pretentious than I am.

Well done.

He's always been that way but people are aware of his schtick by now. He's a blowhard to the highest degree. lmao

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

He's always been that way but people are aware of his schtick by now. He's a blowhard to the highest degree. lmao
    Lol, a blow hard.

I've never heard that before

18. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Lol, a blow hard.

I've never heard that before
    I thought you invented the blow hard.

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I thought you invented the blow hard.
    Hold on, just going to urban dictionary know to get an exact meaning.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information