Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Free Agency mega thread

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Also, what has having a dominant o-line done for those teams really? Tennessee has been completely irrelevant, and so had Dallas until they hit the jackpot on Dak and Zeke. It's not like Elway has used those first rounders on irrelevant positions. People have bitched for years about how soft our d-line was, and he spent premium picks on guys like Sly, Malik, and Wolfe. And pass rush is always important, so he spent premium picks on Von and Ray. You only get one first rounder a year typically, if you spend it all on o-line, it will come at the expense of other positions. Given that our defense won us a title, I can't fault Elway for using most of our premium picks over his time here on that side of the ball.
    The offensive line needs to be good - in the passing age it's more on the QB to put the line over the top than vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    The offensive line needs to be good - in the passing age it's more on the QB to put the line over the top than vice versa.
    It at the very least needs to be top 10 or 12. But it cant be in the bottom of the league, that will never do.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

"Hi, we're Cleveland. We have no good players on defense or offense other than lineman. We'll keep building our line like we have for the past decade. Surely this will make great QB's bloom here. P.S. some guy named Joel approves."
    "Hi, Cleveland here again. We are continuing to implement our master plan to build a dynasty. The 1st we’ve done, bring in a new HC every year or 2. The last HC that we kept for 3 or more years in a row, Romeo Crennel (2005-2008). The 2nd, bring in a new QB every year. We’ve had a different #1 QB for the past 5 years in a row. The last starting QB that we’ve had for 3 or more years in a row, Tim Couch (1999-2002)."
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

4. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    It at the very least needs to be top 10 or 12. But it cant be in the bottom of the league, that will never do.
    Unless you got dat Peyton Manning... (=

It used to be that the 'fans who were smart' always jerked off to the lines. It's like using a vocabulary to show off how 'smart' someone is. They'll adjust in time.

Not saying this is you at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Unless you got dat Peyton Manning... (=

It used to be that the 'fans who were smart' always jerked off to the lines. It's like using a vocabulary to show off how 'smart' someone is. They'll adjust in time.

Not saying this is you at all.
    Well, even when Manning was putting up decent stats (lets face it he stunk like doo doo the year we actually won the SB) the Oline was ranked 4th (2014) and 1st (2013). So the reality is that unless you have an all world defense and a former HOF QB you might be able to pull that off. But the reality is that is very very rare to where your Oline is not top 10 on your way to SB titles. Qb can do certain things but you still need a very good Oline to get it done.

I just saw this article on the Ringer about some of today's FA signings. It's broken up by "why they did it" and "why they shouldn't have done it", depending on the player. Some of the shouldn't haves are particularly funny:

Russell Okung, T, San Diego Chargers (four years, $53 million)

This deal absolutely blows me away, and not in a good way. I love Philip Rivers and believe he’s never had an offensive line that could take pressure off him; he doesn’t get enough credit for his toughness while playing behind some of the turnstile left tackles the Chargers have given him. Based on last year’s tape, Okung isn’t an improvement: He looks like a softer, more athletic version of King Dunlap. He definitely struggles against power rushers, and for all his athleticism, he also struggles to hold the edge. What’s left? He simply wasn’t effective last year — and now, he’s been rewarded like he was. Only in the NFL.
    The Matt Kalil one is also quite good. As for us, we were on the positive side for the Leary pickup:

Ronald Leary, G, Denver Broncos (four years, $35 million)

Last year, the offensive line in Denver would have struggled to win a pillow fight at a 13-year-old’s sleepover. For a team that wanted to act tough, they weren’t firm inside and couldn’t knock anyone off the ball. You could have had Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, or David Lynch back there and it wouldn’t have mattered; the Broncos never controlled the line of scrimmage. They realized that they needed to become tougher, nastier, and way more physical. That’s Leary.
    https://theringer.com/why-nfl-teams-...16b#.85gvij2x7

8. The Following 9 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

At some point last night, Logan Ryan signed with the Titans. Three years, $30 million

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 36m36 minutes ago

Bears will be signing former Giants, Jags CB Prince Amukamara, source says.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Teams over paying for LT like okung because they are desperate could mean some of the top tackles in draft could fall to us. I hope one of top 3 or so fall to us in 1st. Dont want to reach for one.
    Last edited by NightTerror218; 03-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Peppers is going home to Carolina.

Ian Rapport:

Reunion: The #Panthers are working to bring back veteran pass-rusher and old friend Julius Peppers, sources say.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account

The #Browns official release of RGIII will come today. They’re trying to shop Brock Osweiler. Will give Cody Kessler a chance to start.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840254670878756866

Forget Romo. I'd be willing for the Broncos to take Oz back to compete for QB with Lynch and Siemian if the Browns would trade Joe Thomas to the Broncos as part of the deal!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NCBronco View Post
    Ian Rapoport‏Verified account

The #Browns official release of RGIII will come today. They’re trying to shop Brock Osweiler. Will give Cody Kessler a chance to start.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840254670878756866

Forget Romo. I'd be willing for the Broncos to take Oz back to compete for QB with Lynch and Siemian if the Browns would trade Joe Thomas to the Broncos as part of the deal!
    I'd take RGIII before Oz

15. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Rumor has it that we're interested in Giants DT Jonathan Hankins:

I’m told that the NFC East-rival Philadelphia Eagles have been showing Hankins “lots of love” in the event they lose their own free-agent defensive tackle, Bennie Logan. The Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns are also said to have interest in Hankins, with a couple of other teams lurking.

Hankins, a run-stuffing 6-foot-3, 320-pound player who will only be 25 next season, should draw a handsome paycheck in what has thus far been a free-spending free-agent market.
    http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/3/10...broncos-browns

Browns are cutting RGIII. Gotta take at least part of Oz's contract if you want Thomas........

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Rumor has it that we're interested in Giants DT Jonathan Hankins:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/3/10...broncos-browns
    He'd be a good additional at NT, much better against the run.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information