Page 32 of 86 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Free Agency mega thread

Guys...I wasn't....serious...

Oh dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I'm not kidding when I say that I'd take Cutler here.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

3. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    It wouldnt be any worse than Romo. Both players have pros and cons.

5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    It wouldnt be any worse than Romo. Both players have pros and cons.
    Romo has more upside, I think. Cutler has gotten a bad rap for a long time. He's pretty good as a QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Romo has more upside, I think. Cutler has gotten a bad rap for a long time. He's pretty good as a QB.
    The way i see it Romo is the better team player, the consummate professional whereas Jay is a loner and pouter. But Romo is as frail as Mr. Glass from Unbreakable whereas Jay is at least younger and little healthier. Both QB's can look fantastic at moments while looking like complete dogshit the next. Its just a matter of personal poison with those two.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

He's a better option than anyone available outside of Romo, but I'm not sold on him being a better option than what we currently have.

9. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

You can't be a Broncos fan and want Jhey Cutler here. They are mutually exclusive states of being.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Nor Schofield!
    I can deal with that, as long as it's not RT. Even Stephenson at guard is ok with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Campbell wants so much freaking money though....yuck...
    His request is what the market will bear, and swapping Ware's 9mm for Campbell's 14mm is good math in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Bwhahahahahahah oh my god. Cutler is so hated. I dont think ive ever seen a player hated by both the fanbase and other players as much as Jay is. I almost feel bad for him.

mike freeman
    @mikefreemanNFL

Packers offered the Bears a number one pick to keep Cutler. The Bears declined.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    His request is what the market will bear, and swapping Ware's 9mm for Campbell's 14mm is good math in my book.
    Campbell is totally worth it.

18. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Hypothetically speaking, if it comes down to Campbell or Romo and you can't have both - who is your priority? Obviously I favor Campbell, but am curious where you stand.
    calais, for sure. . . obviously nothing's ever guaranteed in football, but you have to like his odds of playing most or all of the season exponentially better than romo's. . . granted, the QB is more impactful IF he plays most or all of your games-- but campbell would have a big impact in his own right. . . good DLs can play at a pretty high level late into their careers, and he has that freakish skill set. . . he should have some very strong years still left in the tank, and he's a better player than malik jackson-- he can be disruptive, and play some snaps inside in the nickel, but he's also stouter than malik at the point of attack IMO. . . he'd fit perfectly in this scheme-- and would significantly upgrade the run D, especially if we still bring vance walker back as well. . .

but really, i think we should do some cap finagling, and think big. . .

20. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Joel, the Browns have invest a lot of picks on that line, and FA signings, too.
    No kidding: But they didn't neglect their QB to do it, they just suck at drafting and developing QBs, despite drafting no less than THREE 1st round QBs in just 8 years.

That goes back to 2006 when they signed Steinbach. But hey, some people know that you don't build a line with ONLY first rounders.
    Never said you did, but if you want good TACKLES (rather than just Gs) you better use something like the #3 overall pick they spent on Thomas, the #21 overall pick they spent on Mack (a CENTER!) or at least the #35 or #37 overall picks they spent on Bitonio and Mitchell Schwartz. That's FOUR lineman Cleveland drafted higher than ANY lineman Elway's EVER drafted in HALF A DOZEN YEARS. So don't sit there giving me that "hey, Cleveland built an elite line with average picks." Because #3, #21, #35 and #37 are not "average" picks; that's a high 1st, a low 1st and two high 2nds. If Elway were getting this kind of "protection" from picks like that I'd be screaming at our scouts (and coaches,) not him.

You can't sit there saying, "the Browns have no QB because they keep overinvesting in their line" then turn around in the same breath and say, "the Browns drafted their quality linemen in late rounds." No, they didn't: That's factually false AND contradicts your founding premise, so where does that leave us?

Look where their picks in totality have gone, as well as their money. They've had a 'great' line with 'great' talent on it for a long, long time.
    I did, but let's look at it yet another way: ALL the 1st round picks in franchise history
    Year Rnd
    Pick Pos To
    2016 1 Corey Coleman 15 WR 2016
    2015 1 Danny Shelton 12 NT 2016
    2015 1 Cameron Erving 19 C 2016
    2014 1 Justin Gilbert 8 DB 2016
    2014 1 Johnny Manziel 22 QB 2015
    2013 1 Barkevious Mingo 6 LB 2016
    2012 1 Trent Richardson 3 RB 2014
    2012 1 Brandon Weeden 22 QB 2015
    2011 1 Phil Taylor 21 DT 2014
    2010 1 Joe Haden 7 DB 2016
    2009 1 Alex Mack 21 C 2016
    2007 1 Joe Thomas 3 T 2016
    2007 1 Brady Quinn 22 QB 2012
    2006 1 Kamerion Wimbley 13 DE 2014
    2005 1 Braylon Edwards 3 WR 2012
    2004 1 Kellen Winslow 6 TE 2013
    2003 1 Jeff Faine 21 C 2012
    2002 1 William Green 16 RB 2005

They spent a whopping 4/18 1st rounders on offensive linemen: They spent THREE on QBs, so how, exactly, are they neglecting the QB position because of fixation on their line? They're not foregoing a decent QB to get blockers, they're foregoing decent QBs to get guys like

Justin Gilbert (#8 overall)
    Barkevious Mingo (#6 overall)
    Trent Richardson (#3 overall, traded halfway through his sophomore season)
    Joe Haden (#7 overall)
    Braylon Edwards (#3 overall)
    Kellen Winslow Jr. (#6 overall)

I'm sorry, looking at all that makes it REALLY hard to believe taking Joe Thomas #3 overall is their "problem."

After just two years they traded Gilbert to a division rival who cut him at seasons end: 2014s #8 overall pick isn't even PLAYING anymore.

Mingos greatest "accomplishment" was getting traded to NE* for a 5th rounder just in time to get a Ring after three nondescript seasons in Cleveland.

Richardson's biggest "accomplishment" was netting Cleveland 2014s #8 overall pick, which everyone mocked as "oh boy, Cleveland has more great draft picks to waste." Just FIVE SEASONS later, neither Richardson NOR Gilbert are NFL players, so I guess "everyone" was right.

Haden's had some good seasons; he's about the only decent top Cleveland pick that WASN'T an offensive linemen (and, again: They only spent 3/18 of their top picks on offensive linemen; even when they spent a 1st rounder to replace Mack in 2014, that was only AFTER spending a higher 1st round pick on DT Danny Shelton.)

Braylon Edwards was a decent receiver on a lot of bad teams, making all of ONE (2nd team) All Pro squad; someone should've "coached up" the former #3 overall pick, who retired after 8 seasons.

Kellen Winslow Jr... what's in a name (hint: NOT a HoF career.) He lasted two seasons longer than Edwards, but didn't play even as well.

But, yeah: The whopping FOUR offensive linemen Cleveland picked early in EIGHTEEN tries is the reason none of the THREE QBs they also pursued early ever did anything. Just FYI: There's a LOT of things wrong in Cleveland, and just because the blind squirrel found a nut on the offensive line doesn't change that.

Actually though, wait a minute: As you say, you don't HAVE to spent a 1st rounder to get top players, because it's easy as pie for any decent coach to "coach up" late round players to quality starting level. If only Cleveland had has one of the many MANY QB coaches who could've made 4th round (#106 overall) QB Luke McCown a star. For example, the last QB selected before McCown (at the end of the 3rd, #90 overall) was... Matt Schaub.

Maybe Cleveland should hire the QB coach who produced THAT guys ONLY decent seasons (including a pair of Pro Bowls) in a DOZEN years.

Anyway..back to more pressing things:

Time for a John Elway tattoo.
    My Lord and Savior's perfect, but John Elway ain't him.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

So they heavily invested in their line and they still couldn't help out the bajillion QB's they brought in. Steinbach, Thomas, Mack, Joe what'shisface that they just signed, and another guard...they all got big money, several of them multiple deals, several of them drafted highly. That line was keep in tact over and over again. A continued and longterm investment.

At that point, I didn't even need to keep reading.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 17h17 hours ago

Adding to @PSchrags: Super Bowl XLVII MVP LB Malcolm Smith expected to sign with the 49ers after the start of free agency, sources say.

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 2m2 minutes ago

LB Malcolm Smith's deal w/ SF a strong one: Five years, $26.5 million with $13m guaranteed, source says. (Up from his $3.5 per year w/ Oak.)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information