Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you married to a social worker

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Default Any of you married to a social worker

I was wondering if any of you guys are married to, or are good friends with a social worker. I am keen to discuss the differences between social work in UK and the States. Especially the differences between our qualifications

I will of course Google the regulatory body in America, but I thought I would ask on here as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

My neighbor is a social worker. I don't know the specifics or qualifications of her job, but I know she really hates it and has caused depression. She thought she'd enjoy helping and she enjoys helping the kids, but she also sees the bureaucracy side of it. Her hands are tied in a lot of ways, and the State of Alaska caters to the parents (regardless of how bad they are towards their children). She said she'd like to eliminate the majority of those parents. But they do foster kids, and adopted one.

Granted this is her and my wife conversing, I really never talk to her.

3. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    My neighbor is a social worker. I don't know the specifics or qualifications of her job, but I know she really hates it and has caused depression. She thought she'd enjoy helping and she enjoys helping the kids, but she also sees the bureaucracy side of it. Her hands are tied in a lot of ways, and the State of Alaska caters to the parents (regardless of how bad they are towards their children). She said she'd like to eliminate the majority of those parents. But they do foster kids, and adopted one. Granted this is her and my wife conversing, I really never talk to her.
    Interesting, we have a massive emphasis on the voice of the child, not the parent.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

My wife's bachelor's degree is in Social Work, and she worked for several years as a licensed social worker before going back to get her Master's Degree in Psychology, and is now a Licensed Professional Counselor.

7. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    My wife's bachelor's degree is in Social Work, and she worked for several years as a licensed social worker before going back to get her Master's Degree in Psychology, and is now a Licensed Professional Counselor.
    Cool, does she know if the UK bachelor's degree equates to the same thing, or if some kind of upskilling or conversion training is required to practice on the States?

Obviously there would need to be some legislative training but I assume that could be on the job.

Also do the requirements vary from state to state?

in the U.K., Social worker is a protected title and can only be used by those qualified, but there are lots of jobs in the field that do something very similar, but don't require the full degree - is that the same?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Cool, does she know if the UK bachelor's degree equates to the same thing, or if some kind of upskilling or conversion training is required to practice on the States?

Obviously there would need to be some legislative training but I assume that could be on the job.

Also do the requirements vary from state to state?

in the U.K., Social worker is a protected title and can only be used by those qualified, but there are lots of jobs in the field that do something very similar, but don't require the full degree - is that the same?
    As to your second question, yes that is the same here. You must be a licensed social worker to use that title. The license requires passing a test after earning a degree that requires a certain number of qualified hours of education at an accredited university.

The requirement do vary from state to state. I don't know if a UK bachelor's degree would transfer or qualify here, although I imagine it would.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    As to your second question, yes that is the same here. You must be a licensed social worker to use that title. The license requires passing a test after earning a degree that requires a certain number of qualified hours of education at an accredited university. The requirement do vary from state to state. I don't know if a UK bachelor's degree would transfer or qualify here, although I imagine it would.
    Can you ask your wife who her regulatory body was as I would like to contact them if possible.

11. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Part 1 of 2

Officially, my adoptive mom was a social worker for the state of Wyoming from 1979-1985, but this needs to be viewed in historical context. It’s pretty much common knowledge that individuals with developmental disabilities at best considered not worth wasting time with trying to educate for almost all of human history, at worst were euthanized. It’s my understanding that, in the US at least, this belief began to change in the 1960s.

In 1979, when I was 10, my mom started working for the state of Wyoming after my dad lost his job. Her primary client was a couple in which the husband had a 3rd grade education, & the wife only a 2nd grade. They had an eldest daughter my age, plus to younger boys that I played with while my mom taught the parents basic house care, budgeting, parenting, etc.

The specific service that my mom provided would now probably be considered habilitation, the developing of new abilities for the 1st time in the client’s life. The help that I provide would probably now be considered respite, which is technically looking after the client so the guardian can get a break &/or take care of various chores. Of course the children’s parents were the actual client, but they need a break & some alone time with my mom so they could learn how to better take care of their family’s needs.

This kind of help for such individuals, which was cutting edge social work back then, is now done by 1,000s of barely trained “professionals” throughout metro Phoenix alone, who work for dozens of companies that have contracts with the state of Arizona. I know that your OP was seeking current information about modern social work, which I will address in part 2 from the standpoint of an Autistic who has sought out services from social workers. Nevertheless, no matter how frustrated we get with the current system, including yours truly, I can attest to just how much things have improved in just the past 37 years.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Part 2 of 2

To be a social worker in the state of Arizona, you must either have a relevant master’s degree, or have a batcher’s while in the process of getting your master’s. The problem with this is that the money that the state is willing to pay is beneath what most with a master’s believes they should be getting paid. If you’d watched my videos on “Getting Autistics Jobs and Off Public Assistance,” I got my 4th Vocation Rehabilitation with in my 1st 10 months of service. When I express my frustration over this problem, was asked if I wouldn’t prefer someone with at least a master’s degree of education. I responded flat out that I’d rather have someone who’d stick with me to the end.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

14. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Davey boy, are you wanting to move here to be with us?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Davey boy, are you wanting to move here to be with us?
    Yes. I have four years to decide where we will move to..... And work out how to make it happen.

Exploring multiple options.

17. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

The States being number one.

Unfortunately social work does not appear to be a needed profession in the visa world.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    The States being number one.

Unfortunately social work does not appear to be a needed profession in the visa world.
    That is supremely unfortunate, and not only for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

no but I wish. I hear good things

Not a good time for immigrating but you're white, so good luck.

23. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information