Thread: How one Patriots Super Bowl ring gave new life to 24 orphans in Thailand

Default How one Patriots Super Bowl ring gave new life to 24 orphans in Thailand

Pretty cool story about a former Patriot player's charitable and generous act. I suspect that various professional players perform similar kind, generous and/or charitable actions and wonder why they don't receive more coverage. Instead, the media only seems to focus more on the bad acts of professional athletes.

Former Patriot Jerod Cherry donated his Super Bowl XXXVI ring from the upset of the St. Louis Rams to charity.

They decided on a raffle that wouldn't exclude the average fan, who is usually overwhelmed by the heavy corporate hitters at an auction.

Raffle tickets went for two bucks a pop, with a minimum purchase of five tickets. The winner was promised a ring from an epic Super Bowl and about $16,000 to pay for the taxes. The raffle cleared more than $180,000 for the charities of Cherry's choosing.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...phans-thailand
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived MNPatsFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

The only good, or "neat" story about the *Patriots is one that involves them losing. Particularly in heart-breaking fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    Pretty cool story about a former Patriot player's charitable and generous act. I suspect that various professional players perform similar kind, generous and/or charitable actions and wonder why they don't receive more coverage. Instead, the media only seems to focus more on the bad acts of professional athletes.

Former Patriot Jerod Cherry donated his Super Bowl XXXVI ring from the upset of the St. Louis Rams to charity.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...phans-thailand
    neat... the Superbowl winning players are all given $90,000, he could have kept the ring and donated money but the ring was only worth about $65-70,000. I thought players one drive is the ring, maybe it's the $90,000
    Last edited by weazel; 02-01-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    neat... the Superbowl winning players are all given $90,000, he could have kept the ring and donated money but the ring was only worth about $65-70,000. I thought players one drive is the ring, maybe it's the $90,000
    Why do you say he could or should have donated his alleged $90,000 payment for winning the Super Bowl when the raffle for his SB ring generated $180,000 for his charities? Furthermore, IMHO it is much more charitable and difficult to give up a token of your accomplishment (e.g. SB ring, Olympic Gold Medal, etc.) than it is to merely donate money.

As I previously said, I didn't post this article merely because it involved a Patriot player. Rather, I posted it because it was a story about a professional athlete doing something generous and charitable rather than something criminal, idiotic, or selfish. Although I suspect these actions probably occur fairly frequently, IMHO these stories aren't told/written more frequently because the media doesn't believe the stories will generate money for them.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MNPatsFan For This Post:

Pretty cool story-

I know someone who is a non-profit rescue worker in Thailand. Exploitation of children is a pandemic there.

I wish I could do something like that.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Why do you say he could or should have donated his alleged $90,000 payment for winning the Super Bowl when the raffle for his SB ring generated $180,000 for his charities? Furthermore, IMHO it is much more charitable and difficult to give up a token of your accomplishment (e.g. SB ring, Olympic Gold Medal, etc.) than it is to merely donate money.

As I previously said, I didn't post this article merely because it involved a Patriot player. Rather, I posted it because it was a story about a professional athlete doing something generous and charitable rather than something criminal, idiotic, or selfish. Although I suspect these actions probably occur fairly frequently, IMHO these stories aren't told/written more frequently because the media doesn't believe the stories will generate money for them.
    Forced to agree; the donation would've only provided the charity HALF as much money and Cherry probably wouldn't even have felt a $90K hit. I mean, he was a career backup, but for nine seasons, so he's probably got millions of dollars: He has "only" THREE SB Rings.

Considering all the... less noble... things NFL players are in the news for, an act of generosity involving personal sacrifice bears mentioning.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

10. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Meh
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Pretty cool story-

I know someone who is a non-profit rescue worker in Thailand. Exploitation of children is a pandemic there.

I wish I could do something like that.
    There was supposed to be a treaty signed during Bush Jr. presidency that all of those countries would out law the practice. Of course that doesn't mean that mean that the laws are being enforced in places where local law enforcement is on the take.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    There was supposed to be a treaty signed during Bush Jr. presidency that all of those countries would out law the practice. Of course that doesn't mean that mean that the laws are being enforced in places where local law enforcement is on the take.
    Sex trafficking is horrid over there

14. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I didn't say he should have done anything and the $90,000 isn't "alleged", it's fact. I said he could have kept the ring and donated the money as to me the ring would be more important as that is why I would be playing the game. I think you're taking my comment as a criticism, but it was more a statement of surprise that he would do that. I was commending him, not criticizing.

As for the second statement the monetary value of the ring is $70,000 it doesn't matter what the group got on return for it. His tax return will say $70,000 donated, even if they received 2 billion for his ring.

the "alleged" statement pissed me off so here is proof. Granted this is the 2017 payments, but I don't know what year you are talking about and the payments haven't changed all that much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	10113
    Last edited by weazel; 02-02-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

So, we're going to bash someone who is doing something nice?

Cool. Welcome to today's America.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Considering so many Super Bowl rings end up in pawn shops in Vegas, I think this is really cool.

19. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information