Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: John Clayton's GOAT QB Ranking

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I hate the Patriots like any good Broncos' fan should. But, to discount what Brady has accomplished is stupid. I'm not saying he should be #1 - Elway holds that spot for me - but he's a damn good QB and to say otherwise means you really don't understand football or the position he plays.
    Yeah, Brady is number two or three for me, but I would not argue with anyone who placed him at one

2. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Too much emphasis placed on Superbowls. I don't think Brady is #1. For me it's Peyton, Elway, and then probably Brady.

Terry Bradshaw is one of the most overrated players in NFL history.

4. The Following User High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Montana deserves the top honors hands down IMO. Brady is probably 3-4 behind Manning and Elway, but I cannot agree with #1.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Too much emphasis placed on Superbowls. I don't think Brady is #1. For me it's Peyton, Elway, and then probably Brady.

Terry Bradshaw is one of the most overrated players in NFL history.
    I really don't like the bashing of Bradshaw. He was a leader, got his team behind him and played very well when it counted.

Doesn't hurt he has 4 rings averaging nearly 26 points per game.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Probably should put an asterisk next to #1.

9. The Following User High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The order in which I'd prefer them to be the quarterback of my favorite team:

1. Elway
    2. Manning
    3. Rodgers
    4. Marino
    5. Montana

Just my opinion, man.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

north, geez dude. . . just blow brady already and get it over with. . .

if elway had played for bill walsh or belichunk, he would have gone to like fifteen straight super bowls. . .

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    north, geez dude. . . just blow brady already and get it over with. . .

if elway had played for bill walsh or belichunk, he would have gone to like fifteen straight super bowls. . .
    Uh duh?

Who argued against that? Lmao

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Bradshaw won all his Super Bowls with a HOF running back next to him. So did Aikman. Changes your whole passing game completely. Montana won a SB with Bill Ring and Linville Elliott as his RBs. Before TD, the best Elway played with was Sammy Winder who wasn't terrible but was no Franco or Emmitt. Brady's running backs were largely cast-offs and low picks. Give him his due but Montana is still #1 in my books in terms of Super Bowl play.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Known cheaters should not even be in the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I really don't like the bashing of Bradshaw. He was a leader, got his team behind him and played very well when it counted.

Doesn't hurt he has 4 rings averaging nearly 26 points per game.
    He needed about six or seven seasons to have a good year, even in his era. He has one of the worst TD to INT ratios for any QB in the HoF, including his peers in that era.

If he didn't have an all-time team he wouldn't have had the chance to play well when it counted. He is probably the worst player in the HoF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Before TD, the best Elway played with was Sammy Winder who wasn't terrible but was no Franco or Emmitt.
    I love Dick Enberg but I hated the way he pronounced Sammy Winder's last name. Seemed like over emphasize on the winde of Winder.

Brady is good enough to have a solid claim to the title.

Early in his career when he was just a good passer everyone made excuses for him because he lacked personnel. As if a solid trio of WR's, a good line, and a pass catching back is something to sniff at. Regardless, when he matured his numbers did hit the heights that they had to hit. To be fair, he needed more time to do it than a lot of the other Qb's in this conversation. Which is something I do hold against him because he was nursed along by his head coach.

Marino...they gave that man the ball and said go win.
    Peyton Manning, they have that man the ball and said go win.
    Same thing for Favre.

There was a little bit of a comedown on the guy when people watched him get sodomized by the Giants. People started to get that sometimes a QB can't do it all, which actually gave people more of an appreciation for Manning. For the last half of Brady's career, he has been given an absurd amount of weapons. He's back with the solid WR corp and godly TE. However, he hasn't had the big deep threat and he's still money.

Pound for Pound, Brady is a QB god. But is always felt like his HC made him more than he made his HC.

If Brady wins on Sunday, he's going down as the greatest. His stats are godly, he's the best postseason player ever, and while the postseason is the most overrated and least accurate way to gauge a player's success and worth, it does matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

21. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

To me, Elway is the greatest purely on the arm strength, or shall i say, his hard delivery. Which was always why he had many critics. Terry Bradshaw hated Elway because of his deluvery, jealous if the arm strength. His greatest weapon was a weakness to some on the other side:

An over reliance on arm strength

No touch on short tosses and dump offs

Accuracy not as good as his peers (Marino, Kelly, Montana, etc)

Sloppy footwork which was due to his tendency to run because he would have been killed.

His teams getting demolished in Super Bowls gave him a reputation as a choke artist.

Much of these issues have been redeemed, but thats why he sits where he does.

In my mind, hes the best because of the arm strength and delivery style.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Brady is good enough to have a solid claim to the title.

Early in his career when he was just a good passer everyone made excuses for him because he lacked personnel. As if a solid trio of WR's, a good line, and a pass catching back is something to sniff at. Regardless, when he matured his numbers did hit the heights that they had to hit. To be fair, he needed more time to do it than a lot of the other Qb's in this conversation. Which is something I do hold against him because he was nursed along by his head coach.

Marino...they gave that man the ball and said go win.
    Peyton Manning, they have that man the ball and said go win.
    Same thing for Favre.

There was a little bit of a comedown on the guy when people watched him get sodomized by the Giants. People started to get that sometimes a QB can't do it all, which actually gave people more of an appreciation for Manning. For the last half of Brady's career, he has been given an absurd amount of weapons. He's back with the solid WR corp and godly TE. However, he hasn't had the big deep threat and he's still money.

Pound for Pound, Brady is a QB god. But is always felt like his HC made him more than he made his HC.

If Brady wins on Sunday, he's going down as the greatest. His stats are godly, he's the best postseason player ever, and while the postseason is the most overrated and least accurate way to gauge a player's success and worth, it does matter.
    Elway will still always be #1 for me but you make a solid case for Brady.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information