Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Harris: John Elway will make offseason splashes

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Default Chris Harris: John Elway will make offseason splashes

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Apparently, Broncos general manager John Elway has conditioned his players to get excited about free agency.

Speaking to reporters this week, Broncos cornerback Chris Harris was answering a question about his transition into the offseason when he added this about Elway: "After the season hopefully everything starts to get rolling. Once free agency comes you know Elway is going to make some splashes. I'm excited to see who he brings as a part of the team."

When asked if he almost had to expect Elway to do something big by now, Harris laughed.

"Oh yeah, automatic splash," he said. "For sure."

While last offseason was relatively quiet by Elway standards, he still re-signed the team's best player, Von Miller, to a six-year, $114.5 million deal. The Broncos let Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan walk but did manage to sign one of the top-20 free agents on the board: former Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung.

This will be an interesting offseason for the Broncos, who have been linked to Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, even though NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport poured some cold water on that storyline a few weeks ago. As is often the case this time of year, the list of potential free agents reads like a Pro Bowl squad, though many will be re-signed.

Denver will have a healthy amount of space given their relatively low salary-cap number spent on quarterbacks ($2,781,902 between Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch), which allows new head coach Vance Joseph some room to bring in players familiar with his system. Will that include another quarterback for offensive coordinator Mike McCoy? That would certainly constitute a splash.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eason-splashes

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Can't wait!

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

It feels like a weird thing to look forward to, but we have relatively few big holes, and reportedly have a lot of cap space to fill them. We can't really know our draft priorities before knowing how well that succeeds. Of course, we could create more holes in the interest of creating more cap space, and can't know which big names will be re-signed before they hit the open market, but all that also directly bears on everyone ELSES draft priorities (and thus what'll be available at our picks.)

*shrugs* It's the end of January: If you're not playing, you're planning. But for all the doom, gloom and blame-laying this year, we're still in pretty good shape.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    But for all the doom, gloom and blame-laying this year, we're still in pretty good shape.
    First positive comment I have ever read from you regarding the Broncos

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Tony-Romo :clap:clap: :clap:clap:clap:
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I absolutely hate it when new HC's have to bring "their players", I rarely works out well for the Broncos.

Vance Joseph doesn't have a system for players to be "familiar" with. He's just supposed to be the "Leader of Men", if it ain't broke don't break it.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Vance Joseph doesn't have a system for players to be "familiar" with. He's just supposed to be the "Leader of Men", if it ain't broke don't break it.
    I thought you wanted a defensive tackle
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I thought you wanted a defensive tackle
    I actually didn't read the article, I'm just bitchy.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

13. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    lol. . . i'm starting to think it might happen, if the cowballs can't trade him. . . and they probably can't, sooo. . .

i'm all for rolling those dice again, if the contract is right. . . you gotta be realistic about the guy's durability, though. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    lol. . . i'm starting to think it might happen, if the cowballs can't trade him. . . and they probably can't, sooo. . .

i'm all for rolling those dice again, if the contract is right. . . you gotta be realistic about the guy's durability, though. . .
    He will be cut.

16. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

If Romo is available we should get him. He's still a really good player at this game. If we pick one TR, one good OL, patch up the OL, we're a top three team going into the season.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I absolutely hate it when new HC's have to bring "their players", I rarely works out well for the Broncos.

What about when assistants do it (they have "input," remember?)
    PLAYER (22) POS. AGE FROM TO 2016 AAV STATUS MARKET VALUE
    Luke Joeckel G 25 JAC TBD $5,300,400 UFA Market Value
    T.J. Lang G 29 GB TBD $5,200,000 UFA Market Value
    Chance Warmack G 25 TEN TBD $3,041,663 UFA -
    Ron Leary G 27 DAL TBD $2,553,000 UFA Market Value
    Chris Chester G 34 ATL TBD $2,350,000 UFA -
    Kevin Zeitler G 26 CIN TBD $1,886,050 UFA Market Value
    Austin Pasztor G 26 CLE TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
    Tim Lelito G 27 NO TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
    Ted Larsen G 29 CHI TBD $1,650,000 UFA -
    Jermon Bushrod G 32 MIA TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Cutting him would only save them ~$5M (I realize that's a lot of money to normal people, but the point is they eat nearly $20M of dead money even if they DO cut him.) Fact is, they were budgeted for that from the get go; it's only become an issue because 1) he got hurt again and 2) Dak looks like the real deal. But pretend they didn't have Dak: Would they still start Romo at $25M next year? You bet your butt they would, and if Dak gets hurt, they will.

They can't trade him unless they do some kind of sign 'n trade; his current 2017 salary is huge AND they'll want enough trade value to offset the $19½M of dead money they'll have for the money they guaranteed but haven't charged to their cap yet. No one's going to give up $35M worth of cap space, players and picks for a 37-year-old piñata with a long unbroken history of choking. ESPECIALLY not Elway.

I still don't think it will because the only way it happens is if Jones cuts him. Jones is going to want to get something out of him and if there is even ONE team desperate enough for a QB to offer something, they'll get him.

I don't see us taking on his contract as is, it's absurdly bad. So the only way it works is if he gets cut and then we can sign him on our own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Cutting him would only save them ~$5M (I realize that's a lot of money to normal people, but the point is they eat nearly $20M of dead money even if they DO cut him.) Fact is, they were budgeted for that from the get go; it's only become an issue because 1) he got hurt again and 2) Dak looks like the real deal. But pretend they didn't have Dak: Would they still start Romo at $25M next year? You bet your butt they would, and if Dak gets hurt, they will.

They can't trade him unless they do some kind of sign 'n trade; his current 2017 salary is huge AND they'll want enough trade value to offset the $19½M of dead money they'll have for the money they guaranteed but haven't charged to their cap yet. No one's going to give up $35M worth of cap space, players and picks for a 37-year-old piñata with a long unbroken history of choking. ESPECIALLY not Elway.
    As dirty as it makes me feel to admit I agree with you, I do...There is zero reason for Jones to cut Romo. He either trades him or sits on him. It is not beneficial to the cowboys to cut him and we aren't going to eat that much cap space for another rental.

Cowboys will either find a good trade partner or have a very expensive backup for next season. The Romo situation is very similar to the DT situation...Fans around here really want to see him cut or traded, but no one is going to take on that contract and it doesn't offer enough cap savings to make it worth while to cut the player...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information