Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: College Player Highlights 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdriver View Post
    no one has brought it up, but this is the guy most project we are going to draft at 20, #65. I'm ok with it. Strikes me as a solid guy that needs a year to round out his game, unless he's a quick study.

Here is his footage vs. Ohio state. #8 of ohio state is sam hubbard, redshirt soph who is a quality opponent (big 10 hon mention). Also a good chance to get a look at malik hooker #24, gareon conley, and marshon lattimore.

tl;dw

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

weak
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

i know we are stacked right now with talib, harris, and roby...but what about a db in the 1st?
    i realize that we just drafted lynch and have another young qb on the roster, but should this prospect fall to the 3d round (unlikely--bet you money the texans grab him), he is worth one of the broncos three picks. Imo best qb in the draft--quick release, accurate, mobility, goes through progressions, quick thinker, hard worker.
    THIS is (half of) why I oppose contenders just blindly going Best Player Left at the end of each round. More the QBs than the DBs, since you can actually start >1 DB (though we do have TWO Pro Bowlers and at least a couple more pretty good ones, so we'd probably end up benching a 1st rounder unless we were in dime or someone got hurt.) And IF we're going to do that this is hopefully the best time, since it's the highest we'll be drafting for a while.

Still, ALL the best of the best are LONG gone by #20. Even if MULTIPLE teams scouts whiffed on ALL of them (or, more likely, suckered themselves into skipping the most elite prospects to draft need, despite FAR too many needs to fill all of them in a single draft,) the top 3 or even top 5 won't make it past over half the NFL. Even if they do, most playoff teams are usually stacked at whatever random position the best player LEFT plays, so are just picking to trade someone under contract for a good player at a position they CAN use: Why not cut out the middle man and actually take the best rookie at THAT position and have him cheaply for 5 years?

Take the simplest example: Indy's #14 or #15 (depending on a Combine coin flip with Minny,) so let's say the Best Player (still) Available at the point's a QB, hands down—should a team paying Andrew Luck $25M/yr through 2021 take a QB there? Or a more complex example: We've got Von and Ware, Ray with a club option on 2019 and will likely re-sign Barret—if the next LT's "available" at #20, should we take him and let our OL, ILBs and NTs remain crap?

I realize I beat this drum before every draft, but the scenario where we took the Best QB Available at a spot we traded up 5 picks to reach because Manning retired is just the most extreme case. And I also realize drafting ANYWHERE is always a crap shoot. But finding Dak Prescott as a 4th round SUPPLEMENTAL pick is rare, and far more common (if only relatively) in the first.

I really hope we don't soon become a team with a top 10 natural pick, let alone 5, 3 or #1 overall. IF we do, I'll be all in on BPA; those teams suck so bad EVERYWHERE that the best of the best is not only practically guaranteed to be an immediate starter but a BIT upgrade from whatever warm body just taking up space there now. Yet as long as we're in the hunt our DRAFT POSITION will suck, and we'll need to fill our few holes to get over the top before age and FA catch up with us.

With that in mind: Who fits that bill that's likely to be available at #20? Or is this years draft talent at those positions such that we should try to trade up/down to either latch onto those few players or get them at the level they'll fall to while stockpiling higher picks for future drafts?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    No one has brought it up, but this is the guy most project we are going to draft at 20, #65. I'm ok with it. Strikes me as a solid guy that needs a year to round out his game, unless he's a quick study.

Here is his footage vs. Ohio State. #8 of Ohio State is Sam Hubbard, redshirt soph who is a quality opponent (big 10 hon mention). Also a good chance to get a look at Malik Hooker #24, Gareon Conley, and Marshon Lattimore.
    I've seen a number of people bring him up on these fora, but thought the consensus from nearly all of them was that he won't last til #20? Just googling:

CBS ranks him the 14th best player overall and #1 OT
    So does Daniel Jeremiah for NFL.com
    Bucky Brooks positional rankings list him the 2nd best OT after Cam Robinson
    For those who put stock in PFF (which doesn't include me,) he's ranked 23rd overall but again the top OT.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:

All three of the top OT have serious question marks and it wouldn't shock me if all 3 lasted past 20. Ramczyk is very raw and very inexperienced...Robinson has a high ceiling and a very low floor and is probably best served as a OG or RT in the NFL...and Bolles is already 25 years old and has a checkered past.

My hope is that we can renegotiate with Okung, sign Wagner and Zeitler and not worry about having to draft OL in the first. But if we did, I'd probably look to the interior more and grab Forrest Lamp. The OT's just arent very impressive as first round picks.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Even if they can walk out of free agency with a solid OL they should draft OL to develop for the future, considering it takes so damn long.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

9. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Even if they can walk out of free agency with a solid OL they should draft OL to develop for the future, considering it takes so damn long.
    Agreed. I'd just prefer they not have a great FA when it comes to the OL and still reach for a player at 20

11. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I kinda hoped we'd get a good FA OT and find a solid G in the draft, since they're less in demand, so good ones tend to go farther down. However much it's debated, the next time Elway drafts an offensive linemen in the 1st will BE the first, and Gs taken in the 50s (or 90s) have a better track record than OTs taken there. But the draft always leaves me guessing because I never watch college. I certainly don't advocate blowing a pick by drafting a position that has no talent when it's our turn.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

0:36 Mccaffrey catches screen and takes it house

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

people can say cook is the top rb in this draft all they want.

Christian has the versatility and vision that surpasses Cook, Cook is just raw physicality.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I posted the McCaffrey vid already dude. This is your thread man. What are you doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I think taking this guy in the third is a much better option than taking McCaffrey in the first. 5'9" 215.

He might be the best back to come out of Boise yet. He's a legit 3 down back in the NFL with great cut back ability and good top end speed. I don't oversell Boise players and I believe this guy is being overlooked.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I think taking this guy in the third is a much better option than taking McCaffrey in the first. 5'9" 215.

He might be the best back to come out of Boise yet. He's a legit 3 down back in the NFL with great cut back ability and good top end speed. I don't oversell Boise players and I believe this guy is being overlooked.
    Huh, usually I hate college highlight reels because of the soundtrack, not the editing.

That's nice speed and agility; few RBs can run a deep post to the house, or beat a CB deep on the edge. That said, a lot of those clips left me thinking, "screw the RB: Can we draft the guys opening all these HUGE holes?" I mean, sure, he still needs enough speed to avoid getting run down from behind, but when there's a blocker CRUSHING every defender in front of him it's hard to be impressed that he gained yards. He runs east/west a lot, too; makes me nervous.

His celebrations are first rate though; I can see why the video lead with a lot of that before getting to less important things like how he plays.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information