Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Romo Will Come To Denver

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Why Romo Will Come To Denver

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.843f34f83375

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Elway doesnt want Romo.

Anyone who believes that is off his rocker.

Apparently Romo has made it known he wants to play in Denver. Wise choice. But is a desire to join forces with Romo reciprocated by Elway?

No. At least not at 24 million a season. Why would John trade into that contract when he knows he doesnt have to? And just how strong is Romo's

desire to play in Denver? He definitely doesnt want to go to a team simply to finish his career. To say that a chance at a ring is somewhat important

to Romo is ludicrous. Its everything. More than the money too? Yes.

What other franchise makes sense? KC maybe? Cardinals?

Denver has it all, everything a guy like Romo is looking for (Im going to assume John will revamp the Oline, probably get a stud RB or TE in the

draft) and players want to play here.

All we are going to hear is "Elway is not interested". Guarantee......until we sign him. Elway is no dummy. Romo would help the offense

tremendously. Paxton isnt going anywhere. Paxton doesnt cost money. Siemian doesnt cost money. And Dallas isnt going to pay Romo 24

million a year to sit when that money can help its superbowl contending young team. That money will shore up holes.

........and Elway knows this. Elway is going to be patient. Elway is going to get Romo in Denver because Elway knows that stud QBs

on teams with great defenses win championships. And thats what this is about.....from here forward. Romo would be a massive upgrade and

just like Peyton, John knows what it would mean. He will tell Romo all he wants to hear. Is he injury prone? Yes. Yes. Yes. ALL that will be

incorporated into his contract.

Romo has the quickest release in football...still. Romo would LOVE to play with WRs that dont throw fits on the sidelines and in

the huddle. Romo has been to Denver.....its a stud place to live.

I really think Romo comes to Denver. Thats because Johns alternative is to play a year in order to see if Siemian or Paxton gets better.

I dont see John sitting on a 'lets wait and see' approach.

He wont give up a massive trade, and he wont sign Romo to anything crippling.

I think Romo comes to join the mile high magic.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

I highly doubt it. First, Romo would have to be released by Dallas because he's under contract. Elway is not going to TRADE for Tony Romo. Second, Dallas is trying to trade Romo. If they succeed, Romo will be going elsewhere.

Third, Romo would have to re-negotiate his salary down to about 1/3 what he is making now. Would he do that when some other team would pay him what he thinks he's worth?

Sure he would like to come here, but Elway is not going to hire him. Elway believes in Paxton Lynch and has just hired a staff of veteran offensive coordinators, like Bill Musgrave who was OC in Oakland. They are paying these guys a lot of money to mentor and tutor Denver's young QBs.

They did not pay Musgrave all that money to coach up Tony Romo. Romo doesn't need it.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I'd be disappointed because, IMO, Romo just needs one good shot in the back/shoulder and he's on the shelf for 2 months minimum and then they will have progressed no further in developing Lynch/Siemian.

Somebody on ESPN was trying to sell a Romo-for-Watt trade. Unless Watt is halfway crippled, I don't see that one working out. But what could work out would be for the Cowboys to trade Romo to the Texans for Brock Osweiler and Will Fuller. Why would either team do this?

The Texans would be dealing Osweiler's albatross contract for someone who could still be a huge upgrade at QB and the sacrifice would be last year's #1 draft choice. The Cowboys would make Osweiler the #2 QB who can be dropped without penalty after the 2017 season (unlike Romo) and, as a bonus, add a speed burner and kick returner in Fuller who is still under a rookie contract. The dollars match up well although the Texans would be stuck with the diminishing cap hit if they release Romo before 2020.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I can't believe so many people are against this idea.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

6. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I just think the risk on his health is too great

8. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

I'd love to sign Romo, as long as Dallas cuts him

10. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    yea his unbelievable playoff record. we should bow down to it

12. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I just think the risk on his health is too great
    Thats part of it. Romo got hurt this past year behind one of the best Oline's in football. Sorry to break it to the members who seem to be oblivious to this but Denver isnt going to have the best Oline in football all of a sudden going into next year even with a couple of upgrades. Secondly, taking care of the ball is important, not only to winning ballgames but to Elway himself who knows how important it is. Romo is just as careless with the football as he is at making plays. Lastly, Elway and company have already said they are fine with the two guys they have so dont hold your breath that he comes here. You heard it here first, he wont be a Bronco.

14. The Following 7 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Im going to assume John will revamp the Oline
    The past six years make that a HUGE assumption. Well, no, he's revamped the line several times: With 4th round picks and bargain bin FAs no one wanted. Do that with Romo and he'll be a paraplegic by Halloween. He'll cost at least $1M no matter what, because that's the minimum 2017 salary for players with 10+ seasons.

This is not happening. Smart money says someone Elway DID spend a 1st round pick on gets thrown out there early next season, behind Paradis, Garcia and whatever lukewarm bodies Elway chooses to fill out the rest of the line. Then he takes his lumps for 2-3 years and goes on the scrapheap of failed 1st round QBs because "the draft's ALWAYS a crap shoot." Lather, rinse, repeat, as age and FA erodes our D.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I'd love to sign Romo, as long as Dallas cuts him
    I doubt they do that. His cap hit is really high.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

17. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Romo didn't even get to the regular season without re-injury. The Seahawks turned him into a folding chair in Week 2 of the pre-season, practically the first time he'd been touched. Tough guy. Great courage. The guy's made of balsa wood.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

First, we arent going to overpay because no way Dallas keeps him. Jerry isnt going to take that cap hit for a bench player even if his name was Troy Aikman. That money will be used to help Dallas now as they are on the cusp of a championship.

Second, take a look at the QBs in the final four teams this year. I dont see Siemian or Lynch replacing those names. Not saying it cant happen, just dont think its likely.

Third, I think a stud RB like Leonard or Delvin will take a huge burden off the oline, not to mention the quickest release in football.

I understand Romo is not a guarantee to stay healthy. Everyone knows it. So that will all be taken in by Elway.

Dallas is going to trade Romo to who? Who out there is going to pay all that money to him AND that he wants to go to?

They may get a late third or fourth if Romo restructures.

Oh........and havent you heard? Romo WANTS to play in Denver.
    Elway wont mortgage the farm, but if a championship is on his wishlist next year, Romo raises the stakes in his favor, even if he doesnt make it through the season.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The past six years make that a HUGE assumption. Well, no, he's revamped the line several times: With 4th round picks and bargain bin FAs no one wanted. Do that with Romo and he'll be a paraplegic by Halloween. He'll cost at least $1M no matter what, because that's the minimum 2017 salary for players with 10+ seasons.

This is not happening. Smart money says someone Elway DID spend a 1st round pick on gets thrown out there early next season, behind Paradis, Garcia and whatever lukewarm bodies Elway chooses to fill out the rest of the line. Then he takes his lumps for 2-3 years and goes on the scrapheap of failed 1st round QBs because "the draft's ALWAYS a crap shoot." Lather, rinse, repeat, as age and FA erodes our D.
    We'll have none of this sunny optimism Joel! Tell us what you REALLY think.

Elway watched the Seattle Seahawks demolish his #1-all-time-great-teams-for-the-ages and decided he wanted that team. The bragging, swaggering, defensive bullies of Seattle. So he went out and got that defense. Meanwhile the offense withered.

But, teams can either put their big $ contracts into offense or defense, but it's impossible to do both. $18M a year they're spending on Von Miller isn't available for other players. It's close to $38 M for just Talib, Harris & Miller.

The Seahawks have the same problem, since they are paying big money contracts to the Legion of Boom. Richard Sherman don't come too cheap at $13.6 M in 2017. So, the Seahawks made a conscious decision to skimp on the OL. They even got rid of Pro-Bowl Center Max Unger when he wanted to get paid. That crappy OL play killed their playoff run this year, but I doubt that stops them. They chose to put the money into their defense so it simply isn't available on offense to hire $10-$12 M a year OL.

Denver is trying to upgrade without paying very much money. That's why it's been such a cluster-bomb for so long. If you're clever you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay much you won't get much. And that's what the Broncos have. Not much.

Not much talent. Not much consistency. Not much hope they will get much better.

They need four new OL. They will probably get 2 at most. I can assume Donald Stephenson will be one of them. Maybe they sign a FA RG and RT. Probably not the most expensive FAs, but someone who will generate underwhelming excitement in the fan base when the signing is announced.

They guy they get will probably have the reputation of being somewhat mediocre and will probably be somewhat mediocre. I don't see them breaking the bank for someone top shelf and there will be few such FAs and lots of teams looking, so the price will be very stiff for the top guys.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    First, we arent going to overpay because no way Dallas keeps him. Jerry isnt going to take that cap hit for a bench player even if his name was Troy Aikman. That money will be used to help Dallas now as they are on the cusp of a championship.
    That's true. But you overlook one key point.

It's true that teams would rather wait Dallas out and force them to release Romo after the June 1 cut-off (when the cap hits from cuts get pro-rated against 2 years of the cap rather than simply accelerated).

So, of course, the smart thing for any team that wants Romo will wait, right? Well, not exactly. You see, they would wait, but for one thing: they know Romo wants to come to Denver. So, if Romo gets a visit scheduled in Denver, he probably won't leave Denver without a contract, because that's his desired landing spot.

So, how do these teams force Romo to come play for them when he'd rather be here? They have to trade for him. Then they hold his contract. He can re-negotiate his contract, and refuse to be traded to that team of course, but would he? Probably not, especially if it were a huge hassle and would give him a bad reputation. And doubly, especially not if the team he's traded to pays him a boat load of money.

Did I mention that a Boat-Load of Money is usually not something you refuse. "Mr. Romo, I know you'd like to play in Denver, but they can only afford to pay you $8 M a year! That's backup money! Why don't you come to our crappy assed team that has over $100M under the cap we need to spend. We'll give you a ginormous contract, so big you won't be able to lift up the check."

"No? You'd rather throw away $16,000,000 a year to come play in Denver Mr. Romo? Great! Welcome to the Denver Broncos!"

Somehow I don't think that is very likely. I think he will swallow hard and think to himself: "you know, I'm scheduled to make $24,000,000 this year and I'd kinda like to get that and not take a $16,000,000 pay cut. Thanks, but no thanks."

What would you do?

Spotrac says cutting Romo would still cost Dallas $19.6M in dead cap: Only way out's finding some sucker for a sign 'n trade. It's Kaep all over again.

Just for Cugel: This, Kaep and Oz are prime examples of why going all in on a QB (especially an unproven one) as the lone championship hope is usually a disaster.

Second, take a look at the QBs in the final four teams this year. I dont see Siemian or Lynch replacing those names. Not saying it cant happen, just dont think its likely.
    Matty Ice was a bust til Kyle Shanahan showed up, and I could easily see Siemian or Lynch becoming the next Rapistburger if he has a similarly good D to ride early and a similarly good line, RBs and WRs to ride late. Not that Big Ben's done much since his D collapsed; over/under on the AFCCG may hit triple digits.

Third, I think a stud RB like Leonard or Delvin will take a huge burden off the oline, not to mention the quickest release in football.
    Got it backward: Either CJ or Booker would be fine (and MUCH healthier) with decent blocking. We're not gonna find the next Barry Sanders to compensate for our useless linemen (although I believe his son IS draft eligible this year.)

I understand Romo is not a guarantee to stay healthy. Everyone knows it. So that will all be taken in by Elway.

Dallas is going to trade Romo to who? Who out there is going to pay all that money to him AND that he wants to go to?

They may get a late third or fourth if Romo restructures.

Oh........and havent you heard? Romo WANTS to play in Denver.
    Elway wont mortgage the farm, but if a championship is on his wishlist next year, Romo raises the stakes in his favor, even if he doesnt make it through the season.
    Romo is practically a guarantee to NOT stay healthy, ESPECIALLY behind a line as the bad as the one that reduced him to in invalid. Regardless, it would take a MAJOR restructure to make him attractive to Elway; if he's willing to write off HALF his scheduled salary (or more) to be Siemian/Lynchs backup, maybe. Elway wants the QBotF; a 37-year-old porcelain doll is pretty much the antithesis of that.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information