Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Romo Will Come To Denver

Adopted Bronco:

I think the Cowboys know that unless they improve the talent on the defense, their offense isnt going to take them "all the way". They currently have about 3 mil in cap space and stand to lose quite a few defensive players that over-achieved last year. Creating cap space anywhere they can is a must. Even if it means cutting/trading their backup QB.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Saw a headline saying the Bills are interested in Trevor.

Romo is a upgrade, simply for his experience, and im not 100% convinced he couldnt stay healthy. That being said, i really hope it doesnt happen. As much as i enjoy this team winning, i would much rather suffer some growing pains then become the home for over the hill QBs.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Denver is where old QB's go to win championships.

I can live with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

6. The Following 7 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Bwhahahahahahahhaa

How stupid would Elway have to be to trade Trevor Siemian, just because he gets Romo? Romo got hurt the last 3 times he played. And your backup to him is Paxton Lynch? The very reason they are getting Romo is because they don't think Siemian gives you a chance to beat the Brady or Roethlisberger in the playoffs.

And Paxton Lynch is not ready yet, if he ever will be. IN fact, what chance do you think there is that both Siemian and Romo get through 16 games combined? Based on history, not red hot. Siemian has been hurt in every season including college. He got lucky this time he didn't land on IR because the "horrific" (Vance Joseph) injury was to his non-throwing shoulder. Next time it could be his ankle or knee or right shoulder and he'd be done for the year. Dude is injury prone.

The Broncos need all three QBs. Hell, they could probably use 4 QBs on the roster if two of them are Siemian and Romo! (Too many roster spots, but they could use 4 QBs).

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Way to early to say it would be a stupid move on Elway. He hasnt let us down so far but if his logic is to just sign old aging and broken down QB's to fill the gap why waste a 1st round pick on a QB? You are better off just drafting other players around that aging QB and hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    If Romo was so great the Cowboys would be keeping him. Dak isnt costing them any money.
    They are starting their young and talented QB. They were planning on going with Romo. He got hurt and Dak looked like Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

If Romo was so great the Cowboys would be keeping him. Dak isnt costing them any money.
    Sorry, but this makes ZERO sense. You can't have your future franchise QB AND your former franchise QB both on the roster at the same time. It creates dissension in the locker room. The first time Prescott struggles, and this is inevitable with a young QB, there's Tony Romo standing on the sideline saying "can I go in yet coach? Can I go in? Can I go in?" "No!" "How about now?" "He just threw another pick! How about now?" "Now?"

It doesn't matter so much if the fans are divided. But, you have a LOT of veterans in that locker room who look to Romo as their team leader. And the minute Prescott has a bad game they are going to look over to see if Romo is getting warmed up. You can't win that way.

Dallas has to get rid of the distraction of having Romo on the roster. That signals to the team as well as the fans "we have our franchise long term answer at QB and we're building around Dak Prescott." It creates certainty and stability. Everybody knows where they stand.

And they desperately need the cap room they will free up by getting rid of him too in order to strengthen their defense.

PS: This doesn't apply to Denver because NOBODY knows if either Lynch or Siemian is their "future franchise QB." So far the verdict is "possibly not" for both, although the jury is still out on both. So Denver doesn't have an established "franchise QB" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I think the Cowboys know that unless they improve the talent on the defense, their offense isnt going to take them "all the way". They currently have about 3 mil in cap space and stand to lose quite a few defensive players that over-achieved last year. Creating cap space anywhere they can is a must. Even if it means cutting/trading their backup QB.
    Covered in paragraph 3: I don't disagree, but it makes more sense to do that by cutting Romo after June 1, so they eat an $11M cap hit now and $8M next year (IIRC) instead of $19½M all at once. And if that's the route they go, Elway will either not make 1) our FA moves contingent on whether we can get Romo or 2) ANY FA moves until the middle of summer. I DEEPLY hope it's the first, and not just because I don't want to watch Romo disintegrate behind our "line" Opening Day (though that's still a really good reason.) If he even makes it THAT far; remember, he went down halfway through PRESEASON last year.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Denver is where old QB's go to win championships.
    I presume you're joking, because that's only been done ONCE—by ANY team—in half a century. Any gameplan that boils down to "do the unprecedented twice in three seasons" is doomed to disappointment. If only because we no longer have Kubiak to manage the offense, nor Wade to carry it with a historically great D. Odds are our D is going to get WORSE, not better, with only a hope against hope McCoy can improve the offense at all.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    They are starting their young and talented QB. They were planning on going with Romo. He got hurt and Dak looked like Jesus.
    In short, Dak took advantage of his chance, the way that Russell Wilson did in Seattle. I think they had veteran QB Matt Flynn who was supposed to be their starter, but when they took a look at Wilson, they didn't need Flynn. Same thing with Prescott in Dallas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Sorry, but this makes ZERO sense. You can't have your future franchise QB AND your former franchise QB both on the roster at the same time. .

Really?

So if the situation above happened while Elway was playing in the late 90's, got hurt, Griese comes in and plays well (like Dak) in 97' you would let Elway walk to let Griese take over at that point? Interesting.

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Covered in paragraph 3: I don't disagree, but it makes more sense to do that by cutting Romo after June 1, so they eat an $11M cap hit now and $8M next year (IIRC) instead of $19½M all at once. And if that's the route they go, Elway will either not make 1) our FA moves contingent on whether we can get Romo or 2) ANY FA moves until the middle of summer. I DEEPLY hope it's the first, and not just because I don't want to watch Romo disintegrate behind our "line" Opening Day (though that's still a really good reason.) If he even makes it THAT far; remember, he went down halfway through PRESEASON last year.

I presume you're joking, because that's only been done ONCE—by ANY team—in half a century. Any gameplan that boils down to "do the unprecedented twice in three seasons" is doomed to disappointment. If only because we no longer have Kubiak to manage the offense, nor Wade to carry it with a historically great D. Odds are our D is going to get WORSE, not better, with only a hope against hope McCoy can improve the offense at all.
    Obviously, Elway is planning to get a RT and a LT in free agency, so the OL should be better (even if the LT is someone like Riley Reiff who is not a significant upgrade from Okung). They could also land a RT in the draft, although I would prefer them to go "best player available" at #20 - and that's not going to be an OL.

Plus, they didn't bring in 3 former offensive coordinators to beef up the coaching staff only in order to have the same crappy offense in 2017! They hope to coach those guys up into being a mediocre OL. They could also land a RG in FA, although they might just go with Connor McGovern or Michael Schofield. Or I suppose they could sign a FA LG and move Max Garcia to RG.

Really?

So if the situation above happened while Elway was playing in the late 90's, got hurt, Griese comes in and plays well (like Dak) in 97' you would let Elway walk to let Griese take over at that point? Interesting.
    Bwahahahahahahaha! Bwahahahahahaha!

OK. That made my day. Comparing Romo to Elway is hilarious!

And to answer your question, suppose Elway had never taken the Broncos to a Super Bowl, was not a proven no-doubt Hall of Fame QB, and had missed most or all of his last 3 seasons due to injury, then at 38 years old I suppose they might very well have decided it was time to move on to Brian Griese.

In short, if John Elway was Tony Romo, then yes!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

OK. That made my day. Comparing Romo to Elway is hilarious!

In short, if John Elway was Tony Romo, then yes!
    Boom!

So then my initial statement holds true. Thank you for proving my point.

Boom!

So then my initial statement holds true. Thank you for proving my point.
    But Romo is. He's costing them a lot of money. And through some good fortune they found out that their talented young QB appears to be a player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information