Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Romo Will Come To Denver

Why do people think a team with a Swiss cheese line that hasn't kept a starting QB healthy for half a season since 2012 will spend $35M/yr worth of cap space and players/picks for a 37-year-old choking porcelain doll? The mere fact Michael Irvin says it's a good idea probably means it's a TERRIBLE idea.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

2. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Why do people think a team with a Swiss cheese line that hasn't kept a starting QB healthy for half a season since 2012 will spend $35M/yr worth of cap space and players/picks for a 37-year-old choking porcelain doll? The mere fact Michael Irvin says it's a good idea probably means it's a TERRIBLE idea.
    I am not huge on the Romo idea....buuuuuuuuut

If the Cowboys cut him he might sign a damn friendly deal, giving us ample $$$ to address the Oline. So 35 mil a year + picks is full retard. Stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    I am not huge on the Romo idea....buuuuuuuuut

If the Cowboys cut him he might sign a damn friendly deal, giving us ample $$$ to address the Oline. So 35 mil a year + picks is full retard. Stop.
    IF they cut him, yes, that significantly (but not entirely) changes things; then it's just a question of how much he REALLY wants to play here.

HOWEVER, 144 characters isn't enough to show why cutting Romo would create $9M more cap space than trading him, not that Omar Kelly tried. It wouldn't reduce the amount of already-paid bonus money that hasn't yet been charged to Dallas cap and therefore immediately WOULD be, and any trade would charge his 2017 salary to the new teams cap. The reality is it wouldn't save a DIME more cap space than a trade, but:

Cutting him AFTER JUNE 1 would spread the cap hit over two seasons instead of hitting all at once. They'd have $9M less dead money this year but $9M MORE in 2018. If (as is likely) Dallas can't do a trade and can't/won't pay $24M for insurance against Dak getting hurt in the middle of next years playoff run, a post-June cut's the best of their few awful options, and certainly great for teams who want him (another challenge to finding a trade partner.)

So we'd have our new starting QB coming in at the start of camp to learn a whole new playbook and the names of teammates also learning a whole new playbook. IF we made an offer and IF he liked ours better than everyone elses (and while I'm convinced half a dozen teams have starters bad enough they'd leap at the chance to have Siemian under contract at minimum wage for two years, I'm just as convinced they'd rather give Romo a big short term contract.)

I ain't holding my breath expecting us to use our undeniably significant space on our offensive line; if we didn't do it under an offensively minded coach who's been tight with Elway for 35 years, we won't do it under a defensively minded one either. My bet is we look for the NTotF, then a coverage LB, then whatever's left at OT, then something else, then whatever's left at G, and blame Benton if the OL goes right on sucking for years. "If it ain't fixed, don't break it."
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I can't believe so many people are against this idea.
    Behind one of the best, if not the best OL in football last year.

Yeah, preseason, but Romo is clearly damaged goods. Unless it comes at a minimum there is no way this should happen.

I cannot believe so many Broncos fans would really be excited about this.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

If AND ONLY IF Romo is cut will I be ok with him coming here...If picks are involved it will be the worst use of picks since Maurice Clarett. If Romo comes here on the cheap without costing us a pick then even if he does get injured immediately (as he doubtless will) he can be a great source of mentoring to the two QB's already on our roster.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Behind one of the best, if not the best OL in football last year.

Yeah, preseason, but Romo is clearly damaged goods. Unless it comes at a minimum there is no way this should happen.

I cannot believe so many Broncos fans would really be excited about this.
    Not advocating for him to be acquired, but...the injury was classified as a "football trauma" and required no surgery. Simply put...it was a freak occurrence that had nothing to do with a "weak and broken body". Not really any different than planting your foot a certain way and coming up with a sprained ankle or even an MCL tear.

And the "he got broken behind the best OL in football" rhetoric is ridiculous as well. The Giants OL is considered pretty mush as bad as Denver's and yet, the slew-footed Eli Manning was only sacked 22 times this year. 6 less than Dak Prescott. In fact, 6 total teams gave up less sacks than the Cowboy OL.

I just think the questions of his durability are vastly overrated. Yes, he'll be 37 years old and with age he is more prone for potential injury, but when healthy, he would be leaps and bounds better than what we currently have. All that being said, my personal preference is to stick with Lynch.

10. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Not advocating for him to be acquired, but...the injury was classified as a "football trauma" and required no surgery. Simply put...it was a freak occurrence that had nothing to do with a "weak and broken body". Not really any different than planting your foot a certain way and coming up with a sprained ankle or even an MCL tear.

And the "he got broken behind the best OL in football" rhetoric is ridiculous as well. The Giants OL is considered pretty mush as bad as Denver's and yet, the slew-footed Eli Manning was only sacked 22 times this year. 6 less than Dak Prescott. In fact, 6 total teams gave up less sacks than the Cowboy OL.

I just think the questions of his durability are vastly overrated. Yes, he'll be 37 years old and with age he is more prone for potential injury, but when healthy, he would be leaps and bounds better than what we currently have. All that being said, my personal preference is to stick with Lynch.
    The problem is his collar bone's been broken MULTIPLE (twice in ONE YEAR) and he's got a bad back. He's literally damaged goods, because scar tissue doesn't heal (that's what makes it scar tissue,) it just becomes stiff and brittle. As a bridge to Lynch/Siemian who can tutor them and show them what to do, he'd be fine at a big discount; any hope of a raw QB like Lynch being ready by Setember probably went out the window when we changed coaches and thus playbooks.

He's no ones long term answer though, so definitely not worth paying much to get. That's why Dallas can't deal him and probably will release him after June 1 to (slightly) minimize this years hurt in exchange for spreading $9M of it over to next year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Sorry,

you are just wrong here but to each their own.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

$35M/yr worth .. for a 37-year-old choking porcelain doll?
    Is this some kind of Russian mail-order bride scam? I might still be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Hey Coach, Eli has way better pocket awareness than Dak and Trevor. I don't get your argument. You just want to de-hype the Dallas OL, back to reality a bit? I don't follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Hey Coach, Eli has way better pocket awareness than Dak and Trevor. I don't get your argument. You just want to de-hype the Dallas OL, back to reality a bit? I don't follow.
    Point being, the QB has quite a bit to do with the OL performance as well. Eli is a better pocket QB and will throw the ball away when pressured, where as a more mobile QB will buy time and try to extend the play. That is how Romo got hurt. I'm not maligning the Dallas OL at all, just saying that the quality of a line doesnt always reflect the numbers properly. So, when people say "If he got hurt behind the best line...he'll get killed behind ours", it's a ridiculous assessment based on an assumption that our line will be just as bad next year and that Romo simply got hurt because he's frail. Neither are true.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Sorry,

you are just wrong here but to each their own.
    Please enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Is this some kind of Russian mail-order bride scam? I might still be interested.
    Uh, yes, is very good choking doll, I have special price for you, my friend: Only $35,000,000/yr! Just wire money, will be there tomorrow.

Point being, the QB has quite a bit to do with the OL performance as well. Eli is a better pocket QB and will throw the ball away when pressured, where as a more mobile QB will buy time and try to extend the play. That is how Romo got hurt. I'm not maligning the Dallas OL at all, just saying that the quality of a line doesnt always reflect the numbers properly. So, when people say "If he got hurt behind the best line...he'll get killed behind ours", it's a ridiculous assessment based on an assumption that our line will be just as bad next year and that Romo simply got hurt because he's frail. Neither are true.
    Well, it's fair to note the clip of his injury clearly shows him taking off and scrambling, which isn't much of a reflection on the line unless they're expected to block downfield onon pass plays (which is kinda like, illegal.) That said, the mere fact a 37-year-old QB with HIS injury history decided to take off and scramble in a PRESEASON game doesn't show the kind of smarts I want in a starting QB. I mean, there's competitive, and then there's just STUPID.

Adopted Bronco:

Well, it's fair to note the clip of his injury clearly shows him taking off and scrambling, which isn't much of a reflection on the line unless they're expected to block downfield onon pass plays (which is kinda like, illegal.) That said, the mere fact a 37-year-old QB with HIS injury history decided to take off and scramble in a PRESEASON game doesn't show the kind of smarts I want in a starting QB. I mean, there's competitive, and then there's just STUPID.
    Are we watching the same clip? Because what I see is a QB moving out of the pocket to avoid getting killed by both edge rushers and then sliding to avoid contact before he even got back to the line of scrimmage. It was only because a defender hit him awkwardly in mid slide that he suffered the injury. But maybe he should have done the SMART thing and hung in there and took the bigger hit. Truth is...that could have happened to anyone.

But again...I'm not advocating signing him. Just saying that in the right scenario, he could do very well. Probably better than we could expect from Lynch or Siemian.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information