Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seahawks may lose 2nd-round pick for not disclosing Richard Sherman injury

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I'm just going to repeat what I always say when a team gets caught doing this, its the NFL's most bogus rule. Teams are being required to provide their opponent with valuable intel about their injuries because the Vegas odds makers want to maximize their profits. Yes, I do make use of this info as an FF owner because its there & I know my opponents are doing the same. However, I'd be content with all parties being denied this intel altogether because teams shouldn't be required to aid their opponents scouting department.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I'm just going to repeat what I always say when a team gets caught doing this, its the NFL's most bogus rule. Teams are being required to provide their opponent with valuable intel about their injuries because the Vegas odds makers want to maximize their profits. Yes, I do make use of this info as an FF owner because its there & I know my opponents are doing the same. However, I'd be content with all parties being denied this intel altogether because teams shouldn't be required to aid their opponents scouting department.
    The problem is that if teams weren't required to publish it they would (and DID) just be stuck with hordes of professional gamblers hanging around their locker rooms and practice fields trying to get the same information that way. Back when NFL owners were so scared of even the appearance of a Black Sox scandal that they suspended All Pros for ANY gambling (even if they didn't bet on their own team, or even football,) they decided weekly injury reports were a great alternative.

Of course, now that the owners are set to let a team practically DEFINED by dishonesty move to Las Vegas, maybe none of that matters anymore.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The problem is that if teams weren't required to publish it they would (and DID) just be stuck with hordes of professional gamblers hanging around their locker rooms and practice fields trying to get the same information that way. Back when NFL owners were so scared of even the appearance of a Black Sox scandal that they suspended All Pros for ANY gambling (even if they didn't bet on their own team, or even football,) they decided weekly injury reports were a great alternative.

Of course, now that the owners are set to let a team practically DEFINED by dishonesty move to Las Vegas, maybe none of that matters anymore.
    Fine, if pro gamblers want to invest their time hanging out around practice fields, just like any ordinary fan is allowed to do, then let them. It's not as if they don't know where all the bars & other places of recreational are that the players hang out at. If its worth their wild to actually approach players to get intel, including more than the injury reports provide, then they're going right now anyways. However, teams shouldn't be required to do the gamblers work for them.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Fine, if pro gamblers want to invest their time hanging out around practice fields, just like any ordinary fan is allowed to do, then let them. It's not as if they don't know where all the bars & other places of recreational are that the players hang out at. If its worth their wild to actually approach players to get intel, including more than the injury reports provide, then they're going right now anyways. However, teams shouldn't be required to do the gamblers work for them.
    Like I say, the NFL instituted the policy because gamblers and bookies WERE doing all that and far more, so it's not just some hypothetical. But, hey, maybe professional sports gambling isn't as profitable or obsessive as it was in the 1950s...?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

In this day and age I believe it's also a player safety issue.

6. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    In this day and age I believe it's also a player safety issue.
    That was my thought as well. If teams weren't compelled by the league to report injuries, it would be much easier for them to cover injuries up and, say, speed along the play time of a concussed player.

I guess requiring teams promptly report all injuries might help shield the NFL from litigation over erratic violent behavior caused by brain damage (i.e. the owners' sole "player safety" concern.) But the that league requirement at almost the EXACT moment a future HoFer and a current All Pro were suspended for gambling.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information