Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In Joseph, Broncos went for best locker room leader, not coordinator

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default In Joseph, Broncos went for best locker room leader, not coordinator

ENGLEWOOD - It’s obvious to all the Denver Broncos did not pick their new head coach on coordinator proficiency alone.

The NFL playoffs have reinforced Kyle Shanahan is a much better offensive coordinator than Vance Joseph was as a defensive coordinator.

Yet, Aqib Talib was a reason why the Broncos picked Joseph instead of Shanahan to be their next head coach. Not just Talib, but Derek Wolfe, Emmanuel Sanders, Shane Ray, T.J. Ward, Virgil Green, C.J. Anderson, Brandon Marshall and Chris Harris Jr.

The Broncos’ locker room is filled with characters. Strong, one-of-a-kind personalities. Emotional, competitive players who speak their mind first, dismiss the consequences later.

The locker room of these personalities appeared to become unglued near season’s end.

“I don’t think it was ungluing,’’ Broncos’ general manager John Elway said in a sit down interview with 9News this week. “Here’s what I think it was: I think it was frustration. Everybody wanted to get back to the playoffs and everybody wanted to win. There was a frustration level there that we weren’t playing as well offensively as we wanted to. And it wasn’t because of lack of effort or anything like that. Anytime you have a championship team and we struggle and we went through some weeks like we went through you’re going to have frustration.

“So people want to say it was offense against defense. No, it was a frustration level and the fact that we weren’t playing as well as we needed to play offensively. The defense was holding up their end and we weren’t playing as well offensively so that creates frustration. That’s normal in a locker room especially when have strong personalities like we do.

“But to be able to win, and win championships, you’ve got to have those strong personalities. The thing is that frustration level shows you how much they want to win. That’s why we have such a great locker room.’’
    rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...ator/386225214

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

As long as he wins i dont care what he does in the lockerroom. Im not even sure if that is supposed to reflect badly on Kubes or not. Was there a greater problem in the lockerroom than what we heard? Either way, best of luck to Joseph, i expect to be at least back in the playoffs next year.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Kinda think that's why Wade wasn't resigned. Heard rumblings that he was sticking up for the "D" players and not the team as a whole.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Liked our game plan. Need to get back that leadership that I think was missing from this year. I think Manning held the entire team together, and once he retired, the defense started pointing the finger at the offense. No one on offense has the credibility that Manning.

Bottom line is, Joseph will be the game manager. Important to get the Coordinators you want as well.. I think it's absolutely massive we got McCoy back, more big of a deal than signing Joseph IMO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

The guys didn't go down kicking and screaming this year. Hopefully Vance changes that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Apparently for whatever reason the Denver Post or some publication is starting to bring up the alleged sexual assault that happened in 2003. Even though Joseph wasnt charged i dont understand why this is now being brought up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Apparently for whatever reason the Denver Post or some publication is starting to bring up the alleged sexual assault that happened in 2003. Even though Joseph wasnt charged i dont understand why this is now being brought up.
    It's the media, so I'm not surprised.

10. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Have you seen circulation numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Exactly; click bait-

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    No, but its all over FB at the moment.

Oh you mean like Manning's assault that got brought up way after the fact? Granted I'm amazed it's the post bringing it up and not Boston Media...

15. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Kinda think that's why Wade wasn't resigned. Heard rumblings that he was sticking up for the "D" players and not the team as a whole.
    If he was, that was his job to do that. Coordinators are supposed to stick up for their side of the ball and keep them rolling on all cylinders. Until Wade got here, this was entirely Manning's team and Manning was holding his side of the ball accountable sticking up for them. Once Manning left, it was CJ's offense, but then CJ got hurt so the offense just had no heart. Talib can shout down Okungs all day, but if PFM or CJ opens their mouth nobody can say anything because there is no doubt they are all-in players.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Success is the ultimate leadership metric, and Vance Joseph's had precious little playoff success (the only kind that matters in Denver.) He's 2-5 in 5 postseasons, both wins coming in Houston under Kubiak and Wade—both of whom are gone now. At least McDumbass had a lot of coordinator experience when we hired him: This is Josephs FIRST season at even that level, but now he's in charge of the whole TEAM.

I'm nearly as pessimistic now as I was optimistic this time two years ago. The biggest things we need are someone to 1) rebuild our line and 2) develop our QBs (who have a combined six seasons experience between the three of them) while 3) retaining our defensive strength. That seemed to make hiring Kyle Shanahan and giving Wade a raise (it's not like there's a salary cap for coaches) a no brainer. Guess we'll see....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

19. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Success is the ultimate leadership metric, and Vance Joseph's had precious little playoff success (the only kind that matters in Denver.) He's 2-5 in 5 postseasons, both wins coming in Houston under Kubiak and Wade—both of whom are gone now. At least McDumbass had a lot of coordinator experience when we hired him: This is Josephs FIRST season at even that level, but now he's in charge of the whole TEAM.

I'm nearly as pessimistic now as I was optimistic this time two years ago. The biggest things we need are someone to 1) rebuild our line and 2) develop our QBs (who have a combined six seasons experience between the three of them) while 3) retaining our defensive strength. That seemed to make hiring Kyle Shanahan and giving Wade a raise (it's not like there's a salary cap for coaches) a no brainer. Guess we'll see....
    Well...As the article stated, he was hired not to coordinate, but to lead. Honestly, with the coordinator staff he has, he's in a good position to succeed. I don't like Mike McCoy, no secret there, but landing Bill Musgrave as QB's coach is huge. Joe Woods will do a very good job with the defensive side of the ball so really he doesn't need to coordinate anything, he just needs to lead. And by all accounts he's a people person and a hell of a leader so if that's all we need out of him and he lets his coordinators do their job we're fine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

You dont need a great x and o guy to be a great HC. You hite coordinators for a reason.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information