Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Wade Phillips to the Rams

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Last night, Adam Schefter was talking on ESPN about Wade going to the Rams. He said that the Rams new coach McVay and Wade's son Wes became good friends while at Washington. Also, Adam said that Wade's daughter lives in the LA area.

And there is this

Phillips’s son, Wes, serves as tight ends coach for the Redskins. But there is wide speculation that he might join McVay at the Rams, and the prospect of his father serving as defensive coordinator has heightened the speculation.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ordinator-job/

Who knows, maybe part of the deal of Wade accepting the job with the Rams was that his son Wes would also be hired. If that is the case, Wade and his wife would be in LA where their daughter and son are also.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    To everyone jumping off a bridge remember we will still have the same personnel and the same scheme next year. The D isn't going to suddenly fall off a cliff because Wade isn't there.
    I agree with you, but Vance better hope you are right. Fans aren't going to give him any leway if the defense falters (Nevermind the fact that Wade would have likely left regardless) Fans will blame him for Wade leaving and if the defense is bad, they'll get vocal like an idiot lynch mob.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Wade and Joe Collier were the two best DC's this team has ever had. Just doesn't make sense at this point to let Wade walk.
    Wade was a free agent...We can't force him to stay, if he wanted to go to LA, nothing we could do would stop him. Besides, we either lose Wade who might be here another year, or we retain Woods and he might be here a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I am still on the I will wait to see what Vance does with the team bit since he is the guy now, but all I can say is if the Broncos don't improve the offense and the defense falls out of the top 5, it is Elway that should be looking for a new job next year for this hire.

Vance better be the shit.
    You know that Elway isn't going anywhere whether this move works or not. Elway says he wants to "strengthen the defense, work on the offense" and that's why he hired Joseph.

He wanted some guy who wouldn't be associated with any one side of the ball - Joseph. But, because Joseph is a defensive coordinator he's going to want some input into the defense.

They weren't willing to let Woods go in order to keep Wade. They want a long term staff. But, this is also wrong. If Joe Woods does a great job with the defense, he'll be a head coaching candidate within a couple of years.

Phillips wouldn't because he's nearing retirement and he's already been a head coach twice and failed twice. My guess is that Wade will be longer with the Rams than Woods is the DC here. Brilliant hire by the Rams of course. They hire a 30 year old dude to be their head coach, and then hire Wade who has lots of head coaching experience.

I hate losing Phillips and equally hate getting McCoy. I can understand why they wanted him, because Joseph has no previous head coaching experience, so they wanted to bring in a guy who can help him, who has that experience. But, I don't like it. At all.

There's virtually no where for this defense to go but down. They lost Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan and the players that replaced them didn't do a good job. They are losing a Hall of Fame player in DeMarcus Ware and there's no way that Shane Ray is ever going to play at that same level. They have to replace Slyvester Williams who underwhelmed as a starter, but is now a FA so he'll get a big contract somewhere.

Remember that Malik got $15 M a year from Jacksonville? Is he worth average QB money? No. Williams will get more money somewhere else and the defense is more likely to be worse next year than better because (at best) they are going to have a rookie NT.

If they kept Wade the inevitable slow decline of this defense would be less. But, the 86-87 Bears, the 2002-03 Ravens, the 2003-4 Bucs defenses all continuously declined. The 2016 Seahawks defense isn't the same as the 2013 SB winning team's defense. Still good but not as good as the defense that throttled Peyton Manning in that SB. The Broncos defense did the same in 2016; and that is the way things always go in the NFL.
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-13-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Wade was a free agent...We can't force him to stay, if he wanted to go to LA, nothing we could do would stop him.
    lol!!! we couldn't "force" him to stay, but we probably could have at least made him an offer. . . it's clear that he wasn't wanted here anymore, not the other way around. . . he hoped to stay here in denver, he publicly said so himself-- furthermore, he waited until our new coach was hired before interviewing anywhere else. . . if it was his plan to go, he could have just gone, not waited on us. . . let's not twist shit with revisionist history to make ourselves feel better about it. . . we made our choice to go with the younger, cheaper option. . . it is what it is, and now we get to wait and see if it works out. . .

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    lol!!! we couldn't "force" him to stay, but we probably could have at least made him an offer. . . it's clear that he wasn't wanted here anymore, not the other way around. . . he hoped to stay here in denver, he publicly said so himself-- furthermore, he waited until our new coach was hired before interviewing anywhere else. . . if it was his plan to go, he could have just gone, not waited on us. . . let's not twist shit with revisionist history to make ourselves feel better about it. . . we made our choice to go with the younger, cheaper option. . . it is what it is, and now we get to wait and see if it works out. . .
    So overdramatic "It's clear he wasn't wanted here anymore"

The writing's been on the wall. Wade wanted big money (like HC money) John didn't want to give it. It's not that he wasn't wanted, he priced himself out of the team.

Furthermore, he waited until our new coach was hired before interviewing anywhere else. . . if it was his plan to go, he could have just gone, not waited on us. .
    That's your take on it anyways...My take is he was waiting for McVay to be hired by the Rams, otherwise he was going to head to Washington, but neither was a rush since he couldn't take either job until he knew for sure McVay was going to get hired (He has family ties in LA and to McVay as McVay is friends with his son) McVay was hired yesterday so lay off the accusations of "revisionist history" when you can't even get your own facts straight
    Last edited by Freyaka; 01-13-2017 at 12:16 PM.

8. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    The Broncos forced Wade out. When he rejected an extension of his contract without a raise, they just dropped the matter and moved on without him. He left because he knew he wasn't going to be asked back. They weren't going to pay him what he wanted. And Elway placed more value on keeping Joe Woods whom they believed would wind up getting a DC job somewhere else if they didn't promote him.

Maybe he will stay here a long time, but that would presume that the defense slowly declines rather than continues to play at a very high level or even gets better. In that case he won't be a hot head coaching prospect. But, if he has success in a year or two he'll start getting interviewed for a head coaching job.

Adopted Bronco:
    Greg Dulcich

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Wade was a free agent...We can't force him to stay, if he wanted to go to LA, nothing we could do would stop him. Besides, we either lose Wade who might be here another year, or we retain Woods and he might be here a lot longer.
    As much as I love Wade, this is definitely the silver lining in all of this. Having Wade for the immediate future would be great, but at 70 years old (or close to that) we just can't expect him to be here long term. I watched a mic'ed up video of Woods and the dude has a ton of energy and is extremely knowledgeable.

I was also thinking about in the Shanny years that we had 8 DC's in 8 years or something like that. I think we all wish we had a stable DC for 5+ years, but that just doesn't seem to be the norm any more. Hopefully Wood will stick long enough to give us some stability.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. ---- Pope John Paul II

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Must be rough being a BRONCO fan to be absolutely sure that doom and gloom is the future of the BRONCOS.

12. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Should have paid the man. He is elite, and a proven commodity. I would actually rather have had Elway pay Wade Phillips and let Von Miller go if this is all about money. Hate away.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Should have paid the man. He is elite, and a proven commodity. I would actually rather have had Elway pay Wade Phillips and let Von Miller go if this is all about money. Hate away.
    Yeah - that's a pretty stupid comment.

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 52s

Tyke Tolbert had chance to become Titans WR coach, but turned down to stay with Broncos, as @CameronWolfe first reported. #9sports

Emmanuel Sanders ‏@ESanders_10 15m

I'm told Tyke Tolbert will stay as #Broncos WR coach. Great retention for #Broncos.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum 4h

Congrats to my friend Vance Great hire by John Elway.Don't worry about the D. Vance knows what I know ,Plus what he knows about Defense !

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Wade Phillips ‏@sonofbum 4h

Congrats to my friend Vance Great hire by John Elway.Don't worry about the D. Vance knows what I know ,Plus what he knows about Defense !
    Love wade, he's funny and a class act, but I have full faith in Woods. We'll be alright. Who knows, Vance is a 3-4 guy and ran 4-3 last year, could have been out of his element last season, but regardless I'm confident in Woods. The doom and gloom around these parts is not warranted.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Yeah - that's a pretty stupid comment.
    Is that all you got bitch?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information