Page 52 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Season Notes - 2017

Supposedly, Elway has his eye on a possible trade, but no idea who that might be, except that it is probably NOT either Joe Thomas or Joe Staley. Well, at least they don't have to worry about holding $11M open to sign Tony Romo, although you have to criticize Elway for not using that money to sign Calais Campbell or a LT like Riley Reiff. Campbell turned down $13 M a year offer from the Broncos to sign with Jacksonville for $15M a year. Reiff got about $11M a year.

Just imagine if they weren't screwing around waiting to see if Romo would be released and holding onto money to sign him if he did! They could have signed the players they did: G Landry, RT Watson, NT Pecko, but also added a LT plus filled the void left by the departure of Malik Jackson by signing Calais Campbell. And they still could have afforded to sign a veteran starting LT like Reiff or someone else.

In that case both the offensive and defensive lines would be fixed, the defense would be back to the spectacular level it was in 2015, and you still have the draft to go get a RB like Christian McCaffrey, or a TE like OJ Howard, or a WR like Ross, and still take a T in the second round to develop if there's someone there they like . With a Calais Campbell getting inside pressure, Von & Shane would be unholy terrors on the edges. Last year Von didn't get one sack in the last 5 games. He was constantly double-teamed and triple teamed because DeMarcus Ware was hurt and the Broncos lacked that inside pressure Malik provided.

In short if only Romo would have retired 2 months ago we could be in a LOT better shape right now than we are with major holes on both OL & DL and no obvious fixes in the draft (at least at LT, there are lots of good DL to choose from in this draft, and plenty of CBs, LBs, and TEs. This might be the deepest TE class in years and they could probably find one in the 3rd round who would be better than anybody on their roster.

But, nobody they draft will have the kind of impact Calais Campbell or a veteran LT would have This year so the Broncos overall are worse off than they would have been if Romo was never available.
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Supposedly, Elway has his eye on a possible trade, but no idea who that might be, except that it is probably NOT either Joe Thomas or Joe Staley. Well, at least they don't have to worry about holding $11M open to sign Tony Romo, although you have to criticize Elway for not using that money to sign Calais Campbell or a LT like Riley Reiff. Campbell turned down $13 M a year offer from the Broncos to sign with Jacksonville for $15M a year. Reiff got about $11M a year.
    Do you have a legit source for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That was Troy Renk, 9News Broncos Insider after talking with Elway, but of course Elway didn't tell him directly "we are working on a trade" so it's speculation. But, what else are they going to do?

FA has come and gone, and they haven't signed a LT and anybody they pick in the draft (even Cam Robinson, supposedly the best LT in the draft - who might be gone by 20 anyway- isn't going to be able to just come in his rookie year and start and be any good at LT. That's just too hard a transition, and very few players are ever able to just step onto an NFL field as a rookie and start and be any good.

This ain't Cleveland and the Broncos can't afford to waste another year of this great defense, because they can't run the ball or protect the QB! This might be the last year for Aquib Talib and even if it's not several key defenders are getting older (TJ Ward for instance). They can't just assume the defense will be as good in 2018 as it is now.

The Patriots are all in WIN NOW mode. They just signed a boat load of veteran FAs to improve virtually every area of their team, and they just interviewed Adrian Peterson. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they signed him in a few weeks time at a low salary too. (He wants $8M a year but won't get anything like that much).

The Pats are already superbowl champions and they just got a lot better in the off-season, while the Broncos did what exactly? NT Domata Pecko? Zack Kerr? Kasim Edebali? Menelik Watson who has missed more than 1/2 hos career on IR? Oh, boy!

Oh, and meanwhile they lost another of their 3 Hall of Fame Players from the 2015 SB team (DeMarcus Ware, Peyton & Von Miller). True, he was injured and only a shell of his former self but he was still a key lockeroom leader whose veteran leadership will be missed on and off the field and especially in film study where he was a master of reading offensive tendencies.
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-04-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Hell no he doesn't!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
    Hell no he doesn't!!!
    Well, if Troy Renk isn't good enough for you when he's in the building every day with the media, and talks with sources inside the team including Elway, oh, well!

The beat reporters cover the Broncos almost every single day of the year. They know everyone on the team on a first name basis and learn a LOT.

I know a lot about my job. How about you?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, if Troy Renk isn't good enough for you when he's in the building every day with the media, and talks with sources inside the team including Elway, oh, well!

The beat reporters cover the Broncos almost every single day of the year. They know everyone on the team on a first name basis and learn a LOT.

I know a lot about my job. How about you?
    What is your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    What is your job?
    Pot stirrer?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Pot stirrer?
    I think he works marketing for 104.3 the fan.

What is your job?
    He's an attorney. Who uses bad sources that are often wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    He's an attorney. Who uses bad sources that are often wrong.
    That explains a lot.

That explains a lot.
    He's probably a good attorney. He's probably a good person. There are a lot of lawyers on this site, actually.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

He's probably a good attorney. He's probably a good person. There are a lot of lawyers on this site, actually.
    Lawyers have bills to pay too. I get it.

15. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Lawyers have bills to pay too. I get it.
    I'll probably fail out of law school and work in human resources.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I'll probably fail out of law school and work in human resources.
    **** that. You will accomplish what you choose to accomplish.

18. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

**** that. You will accomplish what you choose to accomplish.
    Eh - I'm really stupid. I mean really stupid. Not as dumb as you, because you are truly stupid. But stupid.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information