Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1240

Thread: Off Season Notes - 2017

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Willie McGinest: Broncos have best linebackers in the NFL

Willie McGinest recently wrote a list ranking the top five linebacking corps in the NFL. As a 15-year veteran of playing linebacker, he should know a thing or two about the position.

In his piece for NFL.com, McGinest places the Broncos as the No. 1 group in the league, with two more AFC West teams — Kansas City (2) and Oakland (5) — being ranked, too.

Von Miller, the NFL’s second-best player according to fellow players’ votes; need we say more? OK, Miller is a monster on the gridiron, simple as that. But, no one player can carry an entire unit. He’s arguably the best defensive player in the league today, and probably the best defender in the storied history of the Broncos, as Miller can get after the quarterback in a variety of ways while also being able to stop the run due to his incredible athleticism.

Opposite of Miller this year will likely be Shane Ray, the former first-round pick which is set for a massive season in his third year. As the half-time starter for Denver last year — picking up where DeMarcus Ware left off — Ray enjoyed 48 combined tackles, 8.0 sacks and a forced fumble. Each were career highs, and those around the Broncos hope with more playing time comes more production.

Behind Ray will be Shaquil Barrett, who’s suffered a setback with a hip injury, but he should be good to go for training camp. Barrett will provide valuable depth from that right, pass-rushing OLB spot and his high motor makes him productive on the special teams’ units, too.

McGinest also mentions Brandon Marshall — an unsung hero of the linebackers — and tips his cap to Todd Davis, who led the team in tackles last year with 97 total.

As McGinest explains, it’s not just the Broncos’ starting linebackers which make them the best group in the league, it’s their valuable depth, as well.
    http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017...n-the-nfl/amp/

2. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Sounds good, but when a glorified safety leads the team in tackles, that means receiving TEs and RBs are burning you a lot over the middle and/or runners are carrying him downfield for conversions. Think of every argument anyone ever made against DJ Williams (an elite coverage LB in his prime, who frequently led the Broncos in tackles and spent 25% of most seasons facing Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates in THEIR prime.) Then think about the fact Todd Davis is 12 lbs. lighter.

Marshall's a stud when he's not hurt or gassed from being the only legit coverage LB on the roster, but we're quite thin at that position, and Barrett's injury is an unpleasant reminder Wares departure leaves us slightly thin there. The starters are covered, which is more than we can say for ILB, and as much as we play nickel and dime that may be good enough most weeks, but right now we'll take a big step down any time Von or Ray need a rest, because simply shuffling Ray into rest Ware and Barrett to rest Von is no longer an option: If either starter joins Barrett on the injury report our OLBs won't be much better than our ILB (note the singular.)

I don't mean to be all gloom and doom, but we've lost quality starting LBs each of the last three seasons, so even a stud 1st rounder and UDFA can't fully offset that loss. I had hoped we'd pursue a solid coverage ILB in the middle rounds of the draft, since most of the focus tends to be on pass rushing 3-4 OLBs and coverage run stuffing 4-3 MLBs. As it turns out, that's about the only part of the passing game we DIDN'T address (and 7 of our 8 picks went to either passing or stopping the pass, with De'Angelo Henderson the lone exception in the 6th.) *shrugs* Only so many draft picks, I guess.
    Last edited by Joel; 06-28-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Barrett will be back in tc....So its not like hes gone for start of season. We will have him back. He and Shane. And I bet we slide walker inside and allow wolfe or gotsis to get after things.

We are fine. I still would have liked to have seen another MLB but not a biggie as the DL should be shored right back up. Walker is a HUGE PIMP BEAST! Cant wait to see him play
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Who is this glorified safety you speak of?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

joel, the 70s called-- they want their football philosophies back. . .

7. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Davis isn't a glorified S, he just sucks.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    joel, the 70s called-- they want their football philosophies back. . .
    Wasn't aware DJ played in the '70s; thought Shanny drafted him in 2004, actually. But, y'know, memories are hazy for us geezers in our early forties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Davis isn't a glorified S, he just sucks.
    There's that, too; he's burned in coverage a lot, too, and if a 230 lb. 3-4 ILB can't cover, what CAN he do? Go for piggy back rides on RBs who outweigh him?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Wasn't aware DJ played in the '70s; thought Shanny drafted him in 2004, actually. But, y'know, memories are hazy for us geezers in our early forties.

There's that, too; he's burned in coverage a lot, too, and if a 230 lb. 3-4 ILB can't cover, what CAN he do? Go for piggy back rides on RBs who outweigh him?
    He can square dance with OL in the run game.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

KUSA—Unlike past years, Denver Bronco players will sweat through a conditioning test on the eve of training camp.

The Broncos haven’t held a pre-camp conditioning test since Josh McDaniels’ first season as head coach in 2009.

The first training camp practice – which is open to the public, free of charge – will be held July 27 at the UCHealth Training Center. The conditioning test, which will not be open to the public, will take place on the Broncos’ practice field July 26.

Several players said they weren’t sure whether the conditioning test would consist of a series of 40-yard sprints or longer distance runs. It’s also not known what the punishment is for failing the conditioning test.
    Broncos head coaches John Fox and Gary Kubiak didn’t hold conditioning tests, but Vance Joseph, in his first year as head coach, wants to make sure his players are accountable.

“As they head out, the football message was the things that were learned as far as the scheme on both sides of the ball, let’s not lose that,’’ Joseph said before the team broke for vacation on June 15. “Let’s come back and start from this point, not go backwards.’’
    http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...ncos/456816398

IM liking the leader of men more and more. Good philosophy.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Who's gonna fail the conditioning test and get blasted for being and labeled as lazy?

I think we should start a pool.

I got Aqib Talib.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I got Sombrero.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Matt Paradis.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i got heuermann. . .

do we need to consult with buff on how to set up the pool? that seems like it would be in his wheelhouse. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Matt Paradis.

Don't hate, bro

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information