Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Parents--any of you forced your kids to learn typing early?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    What about letting him read something he likes?

So do the mandated reading with him, but give him a comic to read by himself
    Graphic novels are great for kids his age. My son is 15, and still enjoys reading them.

Fortunately, my wife is an avid reader and it rubbed off on all of our kids. I enjoy reading - just have a hard time finding time. I also realize that's a pitiful excuse.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Buff-

My middle child is fairly laid back. It wasn't easy getting her to read at times. What I've tried to do with her is be very demonstrative with praise, like when she would finish a sentence, or pronounce a difficult word, or complete a reading assignment in a given time frame. I try to provide over the top exclamation, high fives, etc. "good job, I knew you could do it!"
    I find the over the top praise can be very effective if used somewhat sparingly. Praise is a weird thing though, because to be effective it requires a values alignment with or aspirational projection by the recipient. That's not always the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I find the over the top praise can be very effective if used somewhat sparingly. Praise is a weird thing though, because to be effective it requires a values alignment with or aspirational projection by the recipient. That's not always the case.
    Very true, but I believe young kids are usually sponges to encouragement and praise from their parents.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

We are still doing this. He's getting better. I think the most important part is making it a mandatory daily thing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

19wpm.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i hope he rebels against the typing system.

Dont let them keep you down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i hope he rebels against the typing system.

Dont let them keep you down.
    why, oh oracle?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information