Thread: Cam Newton named most overrated athlete of 2016

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Cam Newton named most overrated athlete of 2016

http://www.wcnc.com/mb/sports/nfl/pa...2016/380568370

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – 2016 was a rough year on the field for Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.After leading his team to a 15-1 record and Super Bowl 50 appearance, Newton laid claim to the NFL’s Most Valuable Player award.
    Unfortunately for Cam, that’s where the ride came to a screeching halt. The Denver defense harassed Newton and the Panthers to claim the championship, sending Carolina into a tailspin that lingered throughout the following season.
    After a disappointing season, Newton was named the Most Overrated Athlete of 2016 by USA TODAY Sports.

Cant say i disagree at all with the consensus. I dont feel sorry for him as some others do within the NFL fanbase as he brings a lot of it on himself. He has no problem showboating when he scores or the team is winning but when things dont go his way and team loses he is the worst sportsman ive seen in quite a long time. Its even more embarrassing when his HC excuses it. A true measure of a man and athlete to me is one who can be as gracious in defeat just as much as he can in victory. He might have all the skill and talent in the world but mentally he is still a child. Until he fixes that he will always be a loser in my book.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

What a crappy, mean-spirited award to even exist.

I think he should put it over his mantle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

In Cam's defense, they didn't re-sign Josh Norman and Michael Oher was out since week 3. Similar to us, they lost a lot of close games that they had grinded out the year before. With Norman and Oher, I think they make the playoffs. They did really well to bounce back to 6-9 after starting 1-5 before their bye.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Oher got abused in the SB, i dont know how much of a difference he really would of made.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Oher got abused in the SB, i dont know how much of a difference he really would of made.
    Not every pass rush is as good as Denver's. Wade had two weeks to study film and draw up schemes to get his pass rushers to the quarterback. Even middle-tier tackles are huge to a team's success when the alternatives are walking-dumpster fires like Schofield or Stephenson.

8. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Not every pass rush is as good as Denver's. Wade had two weeks to study film and draw up schemes to get his pass rushers to the quarterback. Even middle-tier tackles are huge to a team's success when the alternatives are walking-dumpster fires like Schofield or Stephenson.
    Problem is Oher was really only good his first couple of years in Bmore. Its one of the reasons why he was allowed to walk because his play started slipping. I just cant get on board with any kind of defense for Cam because in his whole career last year was really the best he had ever done. When you are "supposed" to be considered a great QB your progress as a QB should go up, not down. He still makes a lot of mental mistakes he made in the SB this year and some of it was against some very average teams.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Problem is Oher was really only good his first couple of years in Bmore. Its one of the reasons why he was allowed to walk because his play started slipping. I just cant get on board with any kind of defense for Cam because in his whole career last year was really the best he had ever done. When you are "supposed" to be considered a great QB your progress as a QB should go up, not down. He still makes a lot of mental mistakes he made in the SB this year and some of it was against some very average teams.
    Still doesn't change that Newton was getting hit left and right all year where Oher was. Although Oher is far from an elite player, his replacement Mike Remmers(RT the year before) was abused far worse than Oher was in the Super Bowl and was taken to task all year. Oher would have made a huge difference for that line.

I'm not a fan of Cam, but I still don't understand all of the hate he gets. That division is brutal, but he was a huge part of three consecutive division titles. The Panthers defense was a bigger part of their collapse this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Still doesn't change that Newton was getting hit left and right all year where Oher was. Although Oher is far from an elite player, his replacement Mike Remmers(RT the year before) was abused far worse than Oher was in the Super Bowl and was taken to task all year. Oher would have made a huge difference for that line.

I'm not a fan of Cam, but I still don't understand all of the hate he gets. That division is brutal, but he was a huge part of three consecutive division titles. The Panthers defense was a bigger part of their collapse this year.
    Well, i didnt create the article or anything but i understand the dislike. He's just not a very likeable kind of person truthfully and i feel he is quite overrated as a QB.

12. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

guess he won't be needing those "MVP" cleats ever again. . .

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Calling him overrated as a QB only diminishes our accomplishment of dominating him in the Super Bowl. How impressive is it to beat down an overrated QB?

Personally, I think he was a dominant QB last year and our defense broke him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Calling him overrated as a QB only diminishes our accomplishment of dominating him in the Super Bowl. How impressive is it to beat down an overrated QB?

Personally, I think he was a dominant QB last year and our defense broke him.
    I dont think it diminishes what we did as we also beat Tom Brady and Big Ben on our way to the SB. Cam to me is in the same vein as Joe Flacco, decent but not great and yes i agree we exposed him in the SB.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information