Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rejoice, TFS is here to stay

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Back in 1971, the Oilers drafted QB Dan Pastorini of Santa Clara in the first round. Two rounds later, they took QB Lynn Dickey of Kansas St. When asked why he took two QBs, the GM said they needed two guys and Dickey was "the best player on the board". Pastorini was the "tools" guy of the two who could throw 70-yd bombs and even served a few years as the punter but he took a terrible beating behind crap lines.

However, it was Dickey that suffered a career-threatening injury in a mop-up role and was out an entire year. A few years later when the Oilers suffered through a 1-13 season, it was Dickey who QB'd their only victory, a win at Baltimore. That was enough to send Dickey to Green Bay where he flourished for a few years as the starter. Pastorini stayed in Houston through 1979 and went to two AFC Championship Games (both losses in Pittsburgh) before he was traded to Oakland and wiped out in a speedboat accident, ushering in the Jim Plunkett Era for the Raiders.

The point in all this is that Houston got value out of both picks. The Broncos have already made their money's worth out of Siemien who was probably never thought of as more than a backup until he got the opportunity. Personally, I think Kubiak designed a passing game to hide TS's shortcomings and the league has now had time and tape to figure out how to beat him.

I'd prefer to shore up the o-line and go into camp next year with Lynch as the starter until he plays his way out of that spot. Lynch has a stronger arm and better mobility. He just needs to sharpen his accuracy and do a better job of reading defenses. Perhaps an offseason at a QB camp or two will help him a lot. With Trevor, I think we've seen his upside.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I dont think you keep a first round QB on the bench for 2 seasons. Its not like he is sitting behind Peyton Manning right now so he isnt going to really learn anything from watching Trevor and its just too much value sitting there when that pick could of been spent on Oline or somewhere else last year. Im not sold that we will have both QB's here next year, yes, North has spoken and made a proclamation. One of those guys will be traded next season.
    I think it's different when the 1st round QB you drafted came into the league as a 1-2 year project. We knew when we drafted him he wasn't NFL ready as did every scouting report.

On the flip side of your analogy, it's not like we've got an aging QB eating up cap space in front of him that we need him to step up and replace either. With Trevor and Paxton we have two QB's that are taking up next to nothing of our cap. We really can afford to sit on Paxton until he's truly ready to go. He may be ready to go this year, he may never be ready, but him being a 1st round QB isn't going to cause us to jump the gun and rush him to action. We've really got one of the most ideal QB situations you can ask for.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I think it's different when the 1st round QB you drafted came into the league as a 1-2 year project. We knew when we drafted him he wasn't NFL ready as did every scouting report.

On the flip side of your analogy, it's not like we've got an aging QB eating up cap space in front of him that we need him to step up and replace either. With Trevor and Paxton we have two QB's that are taking up next to nothing of our cap. We really can afford to sit on Paxton until he's truly ready to go. He may be ready to go this year, he may never be ready, but him being a 1st round QB isn't going to cause us to jump the gun and rush him to action. We've really got one of the most ideal QB situations you can ask for.

Technically every new QB is a project. Very few of them come into the league ready to play at a high level. Wentz started out hot and got real cold real fast so its safe to say he is still not quite ready and will need another year or two to fully grasp the speed of the NFL. The only difference there is that Philly decided to run with him from day one so Carson will be a work in progress for the next couple of years unless he regresses even more. The problem for Denver isnt that either player is eating up cap space, but that you have one guy who has more value sitting instead of contributing. I know its not an easy thing to deal with as San Diego had to make a similar choice when they had Brees and Rivers. But Denver is certainly going to have to decide if they want to stick with Siemian or start playing their first rounder so that he can get the live action that he needs to get accustomed to the NFL. I understood that him sitting this year made sense but i really cant see him sitting for another year behind what is the equivalent of another rookie QB. If Denver wants to run with Siemian than great, trade Paxton and get something of value for him that will help the team now. If they stay with Lynch, then see what you can get for Siemian and then sign an actual vet with more experience to back up your young QB.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

Re: Reports on Broncos QB situation. Siemian has been nice surprise but no declarations for next year. Bosses pleased with Lynch. #9sports

I anticipate QB battle next yr with Siemian in lead but let's watch Lynch with full offseason. Bosses love his skill set/attitude. #9sports

Rather see the guy with the stronger arm and better mobility. Siemian does nothing for me. I don't hate him but I hope he's not starting for Denver long term.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post

Re: Reports on Broncos QB situation. Siemian has been nice surprise but no declarations for next year. Bosses pleased with Lynch. #9sports

I anticipate QB battle next yr with Siemian in lead but let's watch Lynch with full offseason. Bosses love his skill set/attitude. #9sports
    Gee Klis, are the bosses really going to say they are disappointed with Lynch? At this point when the only experience he has is being thrown into 2 1/2 games? Even if they think he's a steaming pile of dogshit they aren't going to say so right now. And, of course they love his skill set/attitude, they spent a 1st round pick on him just last year.

My desire is that they run with these two guys until: 1) they use the money being saved on them to invest in the rest of the offense, and 2) one or both of these guys become the problem that is holding the offense back.

9. The Following User High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Strong arm and mobility are nice but smarts and accuracy are hands down the two most important attributes for a QB. Not saying TS is out of this world in those categories but he is ahead of Lynch in them right now.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Strong arm and mobility are nice but smarts and accuracy are hands down the two most important attributes for a QB. Not saying TS is out of this world in those categories but he is ahead of Lynch in them right now.
    Yeah I can think of a couple of games (Pats and KC specifically) where he dropped absolute dimes on receivers only to have them drop the ball.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

I believe that Lynch will become the full time starter sometime next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Technically every new QB is a project. Very few of them come into the league ready to play at a high level. Wentz started out hot and got real cold real fast so its safe to say he is still not quite ready and will need another year or two to fully grasp the speed of the NFL. The only difference there is that Philly decided to run with him from day one so Carson will be a work in progress for the next couple of years unless he regresses even more. The problem for Denver isnt that either player is eating up cap space, but that you have one guy who has more value sitting instead of contributing. I know its not an easy thing to deal with as San Diego had to make a similar choice when they had Brees and Rivers. But Denver is certainly going to have to decide if they want to stick with Siemian or start playing their first rounder so that he can get the live action that he needs to get accustomed to the NFL. I understood that him sitting this year made sense but i really cant see him sitting for another year behind what is the equivalent of another rookie QB. If Denver wants to run with Siemian than great, trade Paxton and get something of value for him that will help the team now. If they stay with Lynch, then see what you can get for Siemian and then sign an actual vet with more experience to back up your young QB.
    I get what you are saying, but I guess the point i'm getting at is I don't know that letting Paxton ride the pine one more year is going to be detrimental to his value because everyone (GM's for other teams included) knew that he was far more raw than other prospects and was 2 years out most likely. All it will take for him to maintain value is demonstrate growth in the offseason even if he doesn't grow enough to challenge Trevor. What Paxton riding the pine another year MAY do is help us to build up Trevor's stock even high should we decide that we're still going with Lynch in 2018.

The fact that Houston paid what they did for Brock shows that teams are willing to take a huge risk on a potential franchise QB.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Until something comes from kubiak or elway. I figure it will be an open competition with siemian getting first reps with 1s.

Two young QBs they need all the time to develope as possible. Just wish we had a washed up vet who use to be good behind them rather than davis.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Until something comes from kubiak or elway. I figure it will be an open competition with siemian getting first reps with 1s.

Two young QBs they need all the time to develope as possible. Just wish we had a washed up vet who use to be good behind them rather than davis.
    No reason that can't happen in the offseason though. I think Sanchez was intended to be the washed up vet, we just saw an opportunity in trading him to the Cowboys.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

somewhere, MO is looking for a puppy to kick. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

I dont think you keep a first round QB on the bench for 2 seasons. Its not like he is sitting behind Peyton Manning right now so he isnt going to really learn anything from watching Trevor and its just too much value sitting there when that pick could of been spent on Oline or somewhere else last year. Im not sold that we will have both QB's here next year, yes, North has spoken and made a proclamation. One of those guys will be traded next season.
    nostratimmy! >> northstradamus

22. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    somewhere, MO is looking for another puppy to kick. . .
    FIFY we all know the morning hasn't officially started until MO kicks a puppy.

24. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information