Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Buffaloes’ Mike MacIntyre named Associated Press coach of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I dont know VK. I mean, i agree that Saban is the best coach in college but he also has some of the best talent to work with year in and year out compared to schools like Colorado. Saban even had good success at LSU which is another high profile school that recruits more talented players than most schools. As good as Saban is though i would probably be even more impressed if he left a place like Bama and went to a school like Colorado, Virginia, Mississippi St, etc and had the same kind of success. We've seen what Saban can do with a top tier college program but question remains what can he do with a school that generally doesnt recruit the amount of blue chippers he currently gets. In this case i have zero problem giving an award to a guy who did a lot with so little and it wasnt like they didnt play top 25 teams in the process to achieve that.
    Recruiting is a big part of coaching, and he is coaching a team that lost, if I recall the article correctly, three offensive line starters, several RB's, and a lot on the defense. It's not just enough to have talent, you have to coach them up. For what it's worth, Bama had been trash for quite some time before Saban went there. They weren't getting the blue chippers at the same rate they are now. It's because he's Nick Saban....a horrible human being, but a great head coach. And he does it in the SEC where everyone else is a big ole blue chip buster. We take greatness for granted.

It just often feels like a fluke when you give out to guys like McTire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    "For better or worse, these awards are about the coach who has surpassed expectations. Never mind the coach who was saddled with the highest of expectations -- like, say, a preseason No. 1 ranking -- and actually met them, or the coach who had to rebuild and refocus a locker room after winning a national championship the year before. Are we to believe that one is more difficult than the other? And if we are, which is it? Because there’s certainly less pressure when scaling the mountaintop than there is trying to stay atop it."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/...year-candidate

This speaks to your point, Wavington: "Now this is the part where someone usually argues to look at the talent in that locker room, to see the litany of future NFL players on Saban’s roster and compare it to other less endowed programs having success.... who do you think recruited those players? And, more importantly, who do you think developed them? Besides, if talent was everything, we wouldn’t be entering a bowl season absent Texas, Notre Dame and Oregon. Tennessee would have run the table in the SEC East on talent alone, rather than finish 8-4 with losses to South Carolina and Vanderbilt."

We overvalue flash in the plan flukes. It's the nature of single year awards, I think. It's why Kobe doesn't have as many MVP awards as he should. Or why BB doesn't have as many COTY as he should.
    The award is Coach of the Year, not Best Coach.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    So it's like the difference between most valuable player and best player of the year.

Who better to be the coach of the year than the guy who did the best coaching?
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Who better to be the coach of the year than the guy who did the best coaching?
    Nick Saban hasn't even had a better year than last year, yet.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Nick Saban hasn't even had a better year than last year, yet.
    The award is up til this point, though. Actually I think you're arguing he should have been COTY last year.

9. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    So it's like the difference between most valuable player and best player of the year.
    In a way. There's no doubt Saban is the best builder of a program, but now that his program is up and running and matched by only several programs in the history of football, does he deserve to be coach of the year every year because that program does the same thing every year? No.

Mike McIntyre did a better job coaching this year than Saban did, and I really don't think it's much of a debate.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Hell, Lane Kiffin had a better year coaching than Saban.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

King, my disdain for you is growing.

Hell, Lane Kiffin had a better year coaching than Saban.

Yeah, because he replaced half a roster with a bunch of new guys, coached them up into a godly team and did so in SEC. He's an underling.

Joe, you are quite rude to me a lot and I'm very good to you. I can only do so much.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

In a way. There's no doubt Saban is the best builder of a program, but now that his program is up and running and matched by only several programs in the history of football, does he deserve to be coach of the year every year because that program does the same thing every year? No.

Mike McIntyre did a better job coaching this year than Saban did, and I really don't think it's much of a debate.
    How did he outcoach Saban? Saban is said to be one of the best minds in the entire game. Is MctTire better at ingame adjusments? Is he better at gameplanning? Remember when LSU got roflstomped by Alabama in the championship game and people complained that there's too much of a time gap and Saban is a god when he has that much time?

Are coaches scared to go up against him, coach v. coach. In what way was he better? If there two teams played one another would the Buffs even end the game within four scores of Alabama.

Essentially McTire came out of nowhere for a year. That's not better coaching. THat's having a better story.

**** that. McTire is trash, **** the buffs, Roll Tide.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Yesterday, they were discussing this on ESPN, and one of the commentators stated the following:

"Coach of the Year traditionally goes to someone whose team greatly exceeded expectations, someone picked to finish at the back of the pack but who somehow squeezes out a winning or at least .500 record."

Another commentator added, that MacIntyre went over and above getting the most out of what he had to work with.

Saban had a loaded team, and therefore his team was expected to do what they did, and Saban came in third in the voting.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Ah, so it's for losers who aren't losers for a little bit. Saban created that team. McTire is flat.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Ah, so it's for losers who aren't losers for a little bit. Saban created that team. McTire is flat.
    What you're doing right now - I'd like you to stop doing that.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

What you're doing right now - I'd like you to stop doing that.
    Okay. I...I can do that.

23. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information