Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ringer: Denver is running out of luck

Default The Ringer: Denver is running out of luck

I'm surprised the media hasn't been coming at us with "What's wrong with the Broncos?" stories this year, but this is certainly one. If you watch this team every week, none of this should surprise you:

In 2015, the Broncos gave up 3.3 yards per carry (best in the league) and 83.6 rushing yards per game (third best). This year, it took them only 12 games to give up more total rushing yards than they allowed all of last season. They came into this week’s matchup with the Titans surrendering an average of 122.8 yards per game (28th) and 4.2 yards per rush (17th), and those numbers won’t improve after Denver gave up 180 yards on 42 rushes on Sunday. It was the sixth time this year an opponent reached 140 yards on the ground, something that happened just once last season.
    The best antidote to an aggressive upfield pass rusher like Miller has always been, and continues to be, a good run game. Denver no longer has the ability to make its opponents one-dimensional, so it can’t unleash its dominant pass rush in the same way it did last year.
    With Anderson out for the year with a torn meniscus, the future doesn’t look too bright for the Denver run game. Part of the problem stems from the retooled Broncos offensive line — featuring disappointing free-agent acquisitions Russell Okung and Donald Stephenson at the tackle spots — failing to open any holes to run through, but neither Booker nor Forsett provide the type of “create my own yards even when the blocking isn’t there” ability that Anderson brings.
    There’s no doubt that the Broncos deserved to win the Super Bowl last season; the way they dominated opposing quarterbacks was a thing of beauty. But they were also incredibly consistent in close games. This season, it’s been a different story. In a few cases, it’s been the result of key coaching decisions, and in others, it’s been a lack of execution on one side of the ball or the other. But with four out of Denver’s five losses this year coming in one-score games, the Broncos’ penchant for late-game magic hasn’t been nearly so dependable.
    https://theringer.com/shouldnt-the-b...2ee#.ainyar76o

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Pretty much. There was no way that the defense bailing us out with late-game miracle after late-game miracle was going to be a successful long-term strategy.

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I guess this season has been better than I thought it would be so I guess nothing really surprises me. Our offensive line is still a work in progress, our running game still stinks, and suddenly our run defense is a big liability. That should come as a surprise to no one who watched us lose some key players like Malik Jackson, having Mike Anderson go down early, and a slew of other things.

To me, our luck ran out when the clock hit 00:00 at the Super Bowl. I knew that meant Manning was gone, we were going into the next season with a leadership vacuum, and that we were going to lose some players. Not only that, but we were going to lose that fire of "Win one for Peyton" or "Win one for Ware". And you know what? That is the deal we made in order to win Super Bowl 50. We. Won. Super Bowl. FIFTY. That was and is still awesome. That can carry my stupid-ass fandom for a few years honestly, I just want us to be competitive. And last time I checked even with all of our problems this season we still are. That tells me that our coaching is pretty good and we still have some talent to work with. The problem is execution right now. Missed blocks, fumbles, dropped catches, etc. There is just no excuse for play like that.

To be honest I'm more optimistic about the Broncos moving forward than I was before the season started. Trevor Siemian has impressed the hell out of me and for all of it's faults our defense is still a monster. As frustrating as it is to lose games, I know that next Sunday I'm going to be as pumped as I was the last time they played. I still enjoy watching them, and until that changes I will be here cheering them on despite our "luck". If I was a Browns fan I would have moved on to something more exciting like book clubs years ago.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Pretty much. There was no way that the defense bailing us out with late-game miracle after late-game miracle was going to be a successful long-term strategy.
    I'm reminded of Happy Gilmore when he got the hole-in-one and says, "Oh, man. That was so much easier than putting. I should just try to get the ball in one shot every time." Of course it would be great to average 19 points on offense and have your defense win every game.

7. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Not hard to figure. Can't run the ball. Can't stop the run. That's the equation for a long afternoon. Simien piles up 330 yards passing and the team only scores 10 points? That's because they can't convert on the 3rd-and-shorts needed to sustain drives. Combine that with the defense not able to get the big stops on 3rd-and-shorts to get off the field and you understand why teams like the Falcons, Titans and Raiders could beat us.

Too late to do much about either problem this late in the season. Just focus on fixing them for next year. Hey, there is still enough talent to win a playoff game or two. Just don't see them winning it all.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Malik is missed but the fact we lost him and our would be starting DE bwfore season and had to move on to 3rd and 4th options did not help.

Combined with the loss of travathan which is a biggwr loss to me than malik because he was the main coverage LB and combined with marshall both were tackling machines who were near or at 100 tackles a season. Last season these two were all over field and nobody got passed them on ground.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I totally agree with MasterShake. With Peyton retiring, leaving two rookie QBs, losing Jackson, and Trevathan, etc., although I would have loved for the Broncos to repeat what they did last year, to me, it would have been a miracle for that to happen. And there are still 3 games left. Just maybe the Broncos will make the playoffs. If I remember correctly, Carolina was projected to be one of the top teams this year, and they have won 5 games so far this year, with their MVP QB. IMO, the Carolina fans should be feeling much worse than the Bronco fans.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Malik is missed but the fact we lost him and our would be starting DE bwfore season and had to move on to 3rd and 4th options did not help.

Combined with the loss of travathan which is a biggwr loss to me than malik because he was the main coverage LB and combined with marshall both were tackling machines who were near or at 100 tackles a season. Last season these two were all over field and nobody got passed them on ground.
    We've also lost Antoine Smith who got a lot of reps last year. I don't know if Crick would have even made the roster last year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I totally agree with MasterShake. With Peyton retiring, leaving two rookie QBs, losing Jackson, and Trevathan, etc., although I would have loved for the Broncos to repeat what they did last year, to me, it would have been a miracle for that to happen. And there are still 3 games left. Just maybe the Broncos will make the playoffs. If I remember correctly, Carolina was projected to be one of the top teams this year, and they have won 5 games so far this year, with their MVP QB. IMO, the Carolina fans should be feeling much worse than the Bronco fans.
    Yeah you can point to several teams that were "supposed" to be world beaters and have been disappointing. In the AFC alone the Bengals, Colts, and Chargers were all projected to be division winners by many and now look where they are. Bottom line it's hard to win in the NFL let alone repeat as champions. I'm not going to act like an entitled Pats fan and be all spoiled about it.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah you can point to several teams that were "supposed" to be world beaters and have been disappointing. In the AFC alone the Bengals, Colts, and Chargers were all projected to be division winners by many and now look where they are. Bottom line it's hard to win in the NFL let alone repeat as champions. I'm not going to act like an entitled Pats fan and be all spoiled about it.
    I saw a tweet from Vic Lombardi yesterday saying something to the effect that he totally underestimated what Manning brought to the table and how important he was to the offense, even as hobbled and everything as he was. As bad as the offense was, as we've seen it really could get worse.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I saw a tweet from Vic Lombardi yesterday saying something to the effect that he totally underestimated what Manning brought to the table and how important he was to the offense, even as hobbled and everything as he was. As bad as the offense was, as we've seen it really could get worse.
    Much to my surprise. The Manning effect was real. I really didn't think we could get worse.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 21h

You aint lying. I know I blatantly misread that last year. Totally undervalued PFM.

Justin McDonald
    ‏@JMac1138

@VicLombardi watching this offense is giving me a lot more appreciation for what Peyton was able to accomplish last year.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

20. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Much to my surprise. The Manning effect was real. I really didn't think we could get worse.
    When the two of them combined to be the 31st worst passer, you didn't think it could get worse. This year, our QBs are probably better statistically than 31st, but actual production is far worse from where I stand.

22. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

When the two of them combined to be the 31st worst passer, you didn't think it could get worse. This year, our QBs are probably better statistically than 31st, but actual production is far worse from where I stand.
    It's hard to say; the defense scored a lot last year too.

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I wonder if our OLine is grading out worse than last year. It seems that way, but it is hard to tell. The running game was better last year, we averages 4.2 yards per carry last year (Hillman averaged 4.2 himself), this year 3.7 yards per carry (Booker 3.4). That is both on the line and the RB.

I'm thinking the play calling is having an effect as well. Seems like we are limited in the types of runs we will try and that our early game gameplan is heavy on the pass.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information