Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Ringer: Denver is running out of luck

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    When the two of them combined to be the 31st worst passer, you didn't think it could get worse. This year, our QBs are probably better statistically than 31st, but actual production is far worse from where I stand.
    I don't know, I think the Manning effect was more the leadership he produced and the respect he commanded. I'd say Siemian is playing better than either Manning or Osweiler did last year.

Siemian 2016 11 games started:

2,730 yards 7 INT 16 TD with a 89.7 QBR

Manning 2015 10 Games:

2,249 yards 17 INT 9 TD 67.9 QBR

So you are correct that the QBs are better statistically, but the production feels off. The 3rd down struggles are real head scratchers. It's going to be tough to get help on the O-Line moving forward.

2. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I wonder if our OLine is grading out worse than last year. It seems that way, but it is hard to tell. The running game was better last year, we averages 4.2 yards per carry last year (Hillman averaged 4.2 himself), this year 3.7 yards per carry (Booker 3.4). That is both on the line and the RB.

I'm thinking the play calling is having an effect as well. Seems like we are limited in the types of runs we will try and that our early game gameplan is heavy on the pass.

With 3 games to go we are currently ranked 27th. Last year we finished the regular season 20th.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    With 3 games to go we are currently ranked 27th. Last year we finished the regular season 20th.
    We finished 20th in what category?

6. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    We finished 20th in what category?

Offensive line ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I don't know, I think the Manning effect was more the leadership he produced and the respect he commanded. I'd say Siemian is playing better than either Manning or Osweiler did last year.

Manning 2015 10 Games:

So you are correct that the QBs are better statistically, but the production feels off. The 3rd down struggles are real head scratchers. It's going to be tough to get help on the O-Line moving forward.
    Not having any running threat will inflate the passing numbers a bit. Overall, I think if I told you these passing numbers at the beginning of the year, we'd all have taken that happily. But we're one dimensional on offense right now, and that's not going to change until the offseason. Remember that game against the Rams two years ago, where we had a similar run/pass split and we lost? We committed to the run after that, to varying success before losing in the playoffs. This game reminded me a lot of that one.

You can't just single one thing out, though. Everything feeds off each other. That's what's happened with the defense. Our pass defense is still lights out. Why? Because we have great pass rushers and corners. But like this article said, teams know they can run on us. So why even attempt to pass regularly unless they have to? Teams can wear us down and grind out clock by running, where last year that wasn't the case. That's why the defense seems like it's slipped from last year. We also lead the league in three and outs on offense, which then puts the defense right back out there. Rinse and repeat.

I too have hope for the future, though. Teams can turn it around in one year, and we're not even bad. We're just not able to sustain the way we've been playing. We have to hit on some early draft picks and Elway has to add some key components in FA. No reason we can't be a top team again next year.

9. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

Manning 2015 10 Games:

But manning made plays when he had to and was clutch.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

We miss PFM because he was a coach on the field. He could diagnose a defense pre snap better than anyone and changed protections effortlessly. Now, as soon as Seimian's helmet mic gets cut off, the offense is on its own. If the defense changes their look, we don't/can't adjust. Never undervalue the importance of a field general. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are great more for their mind than their ability to spin it.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I wonder if our OLine is grading out worse than last year. It seems that way, but it is hard to tell. The running game was better last year, we averages 4.2 yards per carry last year (Hillman averaged 4.2 himself), this year 3.7 yards per carry (Booker 3.4). That is both on the line and the RB.

I'm thinking the play calling is having an effect as well. Seems like we are limited in the types of runs we will try and that our early game gameplan is heavy on the pass.
    Don't have manning audibling out of bad situations and putting the offense in a better situatiin.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    We miss PFM because he was a coach on the field. He could diagnose a defense pre snap better than anyone and changed protections effortlessly. Now, as soon as Seimian's helmet mic gets cut off, the offense is on its own. If the defense changes their look, we don't/can't adjust. Never undervalue the importance of a field general. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are great more for their mind than their ability to spin it.
    we're missing CJ in this aspect. . . i have heard a number of times how studious he is, and how much manning loved him for his preparation and cerebral play. . . our youngsters were supposed to lean on him this year, and it's absolutely hurting us to not have him out there. . .

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information