Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Buffaloes’ Mike MacIntyre named Associated Press coach of the year

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Colorado Buffaloes’ Mike MacIntyre named Associated Press coach of the year

The list of accolades keeps growing for Colorado coach Mike MacIntyre.

After leading the Buffaloes to a 10-3 record, a Pac-12 South Division title and the largest turnaround in the history of the league, MacIntyre has been named the Associated Press coach of the year.

The AP honor is the the latest of a string of national coach of the year awards won by MacIntyre, who guided the Buffs to their first bowl appearance since 2007.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/15...coach-of-year/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Totally deserved it.

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

We needed another coach Mac.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Too bad our all world D-coordinator decided to jump ship to Oregon. Feels like it's always one step forward and two steps back with the Buffs.

Happy for MM though - no small feat winning 10 games with where this team has been.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Saban got jobbed. He's the best coach year in and year out. It's like when they give COTY to someone other than BB in the NFL - we all know who the best actually is, and who does the actual best job of coaching the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Too bad our all world D-coordinator decided to jump ship to Oregon. Feels like it's always one step forward and two steps back with the Buffs.

Happy for MM though - no small feat winning 10 games with where this team has been.
    I know the feeling all too well as a Mississippi State fan. When you are a long-struggling program that starts to become successful, you don't keep coordinators for very long. MSU has been churning through them for the past 5-6 years. We've been lucky to keep our head coach this long. Hopefully you guys can do the same.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Saban got jobbed. He's the best coach year in and year out. It's like when they give COTY to someone other than BB in the NFL - we all know who the best actually is, and who does the actual best job of coaching the game.
    Saban is definitely the recruiter of the year, year in and year out. I think a lot of guys could win with the talent he brings in. I have no problem giving the award to a guy who got a lot out of a team that wasn't expected to do much.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Saban is definitely the recruiter of the year, year in and year out. I think a lot of guys could win with the talent he brings in. I have no problem giving the award to a guy who got a lot out of a team that wasn't expected to do much.
    He's gotten to the point where some NFL scouts feel like Saban's players have either peaked or you can't get much more out of them in terms of overall development. Development in the sense that you can look at their ceiling and floor and 'know' as much as you can for a player I guess, what they are. I think it's much more than recruiting. However, recruiting is the name of the game. I just wish coach of the year actually went to the best coach and not feel good stories. That's all this is.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

He's gotten to the point where some NFL scouts feel like Saban's players have either peaked or you can't get much more out of them in terms of overall development. Development in the sense that you can look at their ceiling and floor and 'know' as much as you can for a player I guess, what they are. I think it's much more than recruiting. However, recruiting is the name of the game. I just wish coach of the year actually went to the best coach and not feel good stories. That's all this is.
    So Macintyre didn't go a great coaching job to take a team that was unranked in the preseason to the cusp of the playoff discussion? It can be both a feel good story and a great coaching job.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    So Macintyre didn't go a great coaching job to take a team that was unranked in the preseason to the cusp of the playoff discussion? It can be both a feel good story and a great coaching job.
    Not nearly as great as Saban. Saban routinely recruits dominant teams, coaches them up, and then takes on dominant competition. I'll that season over a fluke any day of the week. He has by everything I've read and seen, the best team and his team is the favorite to win it all. How is that not better than a CU team that got spanked in it's most important game of the season?

"For better or worse, these awards are about the coach who has surpassed expectations. Never mind the coach who was saddled with the highest of expectations -- like, say, a preseason No. 1 ranking -- and actually met them, or the coach who had to rebuild and refocus a locker room after winning a national championship the year before. Are we to believe that one is more difficult than the other? And if we are, which is it? Because there’s certainly less pressure when scaling the mountaintop than there is trying to stay atop it."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/...year-candidate

This speaks to your point, Wavington: "Now this is the part where someone usually argues to look at the talent in that locker room, to see the litany of future NFL players on Saban’s roster and compare it to other less endowed programs having success.... who do you think recruited those players? And, more importantly, who do you think developed them? Besides, if talent was everything, we wouldn’t be entering a bowl season absent Texas, Notre Dame and Oregon. Tennessee would have run the table in the SEC East on talent alone, rather than finish 8-4 with losses to South Carolina and Vanderbilt."

We overvalue flash in the plan flukes. It's the nature of single year awards, I think. It's why Kobe doesn't have as many MVP awards as he should. Or why BB doesn't have as many COTY as he should.

That'll look great on his resume. He will be signing with a big program soon.

I'm probably being a little too tough on it, though. It's a fine pick under the criteria that is used.

20. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont know VK. I mean, i agree that Saban is the best coach in college but he also has some of the best talent to work with year in and year out compared to schools like Colorado. Saban even had good success at LSU which is another high profile school that recruits more talented players than most schools. As good as Saban is though i would probably be even more impressed if he left a place like Bama and went to a school like Colorado, Virginia, Mississippi St, etc and had the same kind of success. We've seen what Saban can do with a top tier college program but question remains what can he do with a school that generally doesnt recruit the amount of blue chippers he currently gets. In this case i have zero problem giving an award to a guy who did a lot with so little and it wasnt like they didnt play top 25 teams in the process to achieve that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm probably being a little too tough on it, though. It's a fine pick under the criteria that is used.
    Also, this probably isn't fair, but no one wants to see the same guy win the award year after year after year.

23. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information