Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you a Bronco fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Default What made you a Bronco fan?

Seen quite a few stories in different threads lately, thought maybe we should have a place to share what brought about our love of the Broncos. We have fans from all over the world and all walks of life here. From Germany and Wales to next to Mile High; From the super elite (NTL obviously, not DT), to your "average" Joe.

I was raised the son of an LA Raiders fan *GASP*. Born in Garden Grove, Ca (just outside LA) I lived there until I was 4 or so when my Dad was offered a position with Martin Marietta Aerospace in Denver, CO. Since my Mom was born and raised in Denver obviously we were moving there. We lived in a small town north of Denver named Dacono. My Mom immediately had me wearing Bronco gear, I think it was a way to mess with my Dad... Anyhow, my Dad started watching Bronco football because that was all he could get living in Colorado and it just so happened the Broncos had a new QB that year, guy named Elway. Even though he was NOT a Bronco fan, Dad felt strongly that Elway was going to be a great player. He quickly became an Elway fan but was still a Raider fan. So it was OK that Mom got me a ton of Bronco gear. From there I just became a Bronco fan. It was interesting growing up a Bronco fan with my Dad being a Raider fan, we watched many games together one of us cheering, the other dejected at every turn. When the Raiders moved back to Oakland Dad stopped caring about them and was kind of a free agent fan that rooted more for players than teams. He became a big fan of a guy named Manning when he was drafted by the Colts but was not really a Colts fan. When Peyton came to the Broncos, well, the old man became a Bronco fan. My Dad and I always bonded over football chat, watched games together throughout my entire life, etc. Even when I was in a combat zone or on a ship somewhere I did my best to call my Dad every Sunday so we could talk about football in addition to everything else we talked about. Once Peyton was a Bronco the conversations about football were a lot better, we were actually rooting for the same thing! The last few years of my Dad's life I really enjoyed our conversations even more than usual. I always had a great relationship with my Dad, but it was just different the last few years when we'd talk football. I'm very thankful I had that. I was already a Bronco fan forever, but even more so since then.

So what's your story?

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

the end

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived tubby For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I've probably told mine more than most because I do feel a small level of responsibility to prove that I am a fan, and not just a Johnny come lately

In the mid eighties my dad, who was a policeman, worked with a guy who was into football, the police had a team football team that year and I remember going to watch them. The quarterback threw me the ball, but when he noticed I had a broken wrist he refused to throw any more...i was raging!!

A few of my friends liked it, but it sort of lost support in the UK in the 90s. Our at least it seemed to.

My dad picked the Broncos because of the color orange and the west of Scotland association with that color and protestism. So I tentatively followed suit. Although I do remember dressing up as a Dallas cowboy at Halloween..... Apparently is was the logo my mum felt she could draw easiest.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread, the color and my dad's bigotry brought me to the Broncos, but elway got me hooked.

After the back to back Superbowl wins I fell away from the sport for a few years, mainly because I joined the army and had other stuff that took over.

I got back into it in more than a casual way at the time of the Plummer, Cutler controversy, until that point I just got updates from my dad. We still talk about the Broncos every time we chat.

Then after a few years I was on the app store and this forum was recommended to me.... Next thing I know, I'm in Denver!!

I still struggle to recognize defensive packages from each other, but I know I love my Broncos!!

6. The Following 8 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Honestly, I don't remember. I can't remember not being a Broncos fan. It may have had something to do with video games. I remember having Gameday 98 and liking Terrell Davis around 1st or 2nd grade. My best friend became a Buccaneers fan.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

You guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    You guys.
    gayer words have never been typed

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    gayer words have never been typed
    That's just rude.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    the color and my dad's bigotry brought me to the Broncos.
    Well that's an interesting turn of events!

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Well, I'm a Denver native, so that's pretty natural. I've always followed the Broncos, with a caveat....

Before the Broncos became relevant (they were really terrible), my brother and I rooted for the Vikings. Not really sure why, but we loved watching them play. Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Forman, Ahmad Rashaad, Sammy White, and that defense! Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Gary Larson, Paul Krause. It didn't hurt that they went to three super bowls in four years either, even though they lost them all. Super bowl XI began my absolute hatred of the Raiders.

I gave up on the Vikings shortly after all those guys retired, but still have a soft spot in my heart for the Vikings. My wife's mom's family is all from Minnesota, and my grade/high school's colors were purple and gold.

I started focusing on the Broncos during the '77 season. It was nothing short of miraculous. Beating the Raiders in the Championship game (they were defending Champs) is probably my 3rd favorite Broncos memory ever. When they traded for Elway, all I could think of is "this is the next Fran Tarkenton". Been a die-hard ever since that '77 season - I was 15.

15. The Following 6 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I was born in Sidney, Nebraska. A quick drive to Denver, which our family did often for shopping etc.

I was three years old when the Broncos went to their first SuperBowl, and our whole family fell in love with the Broncos. I was still too little to really be a fan on my own, but when Elway came to town, and just seemed to work magic, I was hooked all on my own.

My Mom and siblings still keep up, but I'm by far the real die-hard fan. .. they've never even been to a live game (the louts), and my Sister took up with a Chiefs fan, so she hardly counts anymore.

What really cemented my loyalty was the three SB losses in 86-87-89. By that time we were living in Kansas, and it seemed I was the only Bronco fan in school (Junior high at this time). After each loss, I proudly still wore my Broncos gear to school each Monday only to face unending ridicule for daring to still support my chosen team. It makes the 3 SB wins that much more meaningful to have been through all the valleys between the peaks.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    You guys.

19. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I was born in Sidney, Nebraska. A quick drive to Denver, which our family did often for shopping etc.

I was three years old when the Broncos went to their first SuperBowl, and our whole family fell in love with the Broncos. I was still too little to really be a fan on my own, but when Elway came to town, and just seemed to work magic, I was hooked all on my own.

My Mom and siblings still keep up, but I'm by far the real die-hard fan. .. they've never even been to a live game (the louts), and my Sister took up with a Chiefs fan, so she hardly counts anymore.

What really cemented my loyalty was the three SB losses in 86-87-89. By that time we were living in Kansas, and it seemed I was the only Bronco fan in school (Junior high at this time). After each loss, I proudly still wore my Broncos gear to school each Monday only to face unending ridicule for daring to still support my chosen team. It makes the 3 SB wins that much more meaningful to have been through all the valleys between the peaks.
    After living through the four losses (the last three were really difficult) made winning in '97 all the greater. I sat on my couch and cried my eyes out. I still get goosebumps hearing Dave Logan's calls throughout the game.

This is one of the few clips that shows what Elway did after the helicopter run - raising his fist to the Broncos' sideline!

21. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    After living through the four losses (the last three were really difficult) made winning in '97 all the greater. I sat on my couch and cried my eyes out. I still get goosebumps hearing Dave Logan's calls throughout the game.

This is one of the few clips that shows what Elway did after the helicopter run - raising his fist to the Broncos' sideline!
    Me too.

One other strong Super Bowl 32 memory for me.

We were huge underdogs, and Green Bay was being talked up as an all-time great team. I was prepared for another loss. Mentioned during the week leading up several times what lousy luck it was that when Elway and the Broncos finally made it back, we were going up against one of the best teams in NFL history.

Right before kick-off, on the pre-game show, Dick Enberg did a retrospective/fluff piece on Elway, and how this might be his last game ever etc. They played "The Time of Your Life" by Greenday to accompany it. It ended with Enberg saying something about Elway having the time of his life in this game, and "up next, the kickoff of SB 32".

Now, 20 years later, every time I hear that song, which is still played surprisingly often I flash back to SB 32. What a great game.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

It's in my genes. I was also born with superior intelligence and a great deal of class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

25. The Following 8 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    It's in my genes. I was also born with superior intelligence and a great deal of ass.
    Fixed.

27. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information