Thread: 2016 Chess World Championship

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default 2016 Chess World Championship

Other sports, right? Here's a justification for that claim:

The World Champion also gave a nice answer to the most hackneyed question in chess – whether the game is a sport, a science or an art:

I think chess in this form is definitely a sport more than anything else. Of course the work done at home has something to do with science, but I’m afraid to find art you have to go elsewhere, since it becomes mostly about getting the right result.
    Magnus Carlsen, a Norwegian, has held the title for a few years now, and has been the world rated #1 for slightly longer. Magnus' friend Kasparov thinks that he (Carlsen) is in his own class of player. The tournament didn't exactly support that claim...

The expectation heading in was that Carlsen would make quick work of the Russian challenger, fellow 'youngster' Sergey Karjakin. Karjakin and Carlsen are the two youngest humans in history to become grandmasters, but Carlsen has been steadily accelerating his play since 13, while Karjakin hasn't had the same elite results. But after 7 games and 7 ties, with only 5 games left, Karjakin drew first blood.

After the loss, and after waiting a few minutes for his rival to show, Magnus stormed out of the post-game presser before it fired.

Two games later, Carlsen evened the match. After 12 classical games, it was knotted at 6:6. Today they had the tiebreak, 4 games of rapid (a shorter time control). They drew the first two, and Magnus won the last two to keep the crown.

I'll be interested to see who can possibly challenge Magnus for the title. Right now, the consensus is that no human on this planet is better at chess than Carlsen, and it's not particularly close. There are a few Americans with a shot to challenge next year: Fabiano Caruana, Wesley So, and Hikaru Nakamura.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Watching Magnus play a blitz tourney on youtube...it's like watching LBJ or .. idk ... he is so far ahead of his peers. Just admiring utter domination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCbkVrAa8o
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Speed chess is real chess. This is for amateurs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Speed chess is real chess. This is for amateurs
    This is speed chess...I don't follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    This is speed chess...I don't follow.
    Speed chess has 30 second turns tops. I'm talking that Bobby Fischer in the park shit.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Speed chess has 30 second turns tops. I'm talking that Bobby Fischer in the park shit.
    This is game in 300 seconds...game in 3 mins. Games last 30-90 turns. That's 10-3 secs per turn.

My conclusion is that you talk out of your ass.

This is game in 300 seconds...game in 3 mins. Games last 30-90 turns. That's 10-3 secs per turn.

My conclusion is that you talk out of your ass.
    It's two hours of the same game!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It's two hours of the same game!
    10 rounds.

If I was a non chess guy, I'd skip it. The real draw is how convincingly Magnus smokes the field. It's one of those things where you go, dayum.

10 rounds.

If I was a non chess guy, I'd skip it. The real draw is how convincingly Magnus smokes the field. It's one of those things where you go, dayum.
    I play against the computer every now and again. It's a helluva game.

How old is Magnus now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    How old is Magnus now?
    27 I think.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information