Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL draft: 4 positions the Broncos should target.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Default NFL draft: 4 positions the Broncos should target.

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...arget-in-2017/

The Denver Broncos are in the middle of a push to win the AFC West and get back to the playoffs for a chance at another Super Bowl run. A key game within the division is on tap for next weekend when they will host the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday Night Football.

Still, it’s never too early to look toward the NFL draft and today, we’re going to do just that.

At 7-3, Denver is one of the best AFC teams. But as has been displayed in losses to the Atlanta Falcons, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders, the team does have some glaring weaknesses.

Here, we’ve identified four positions—in no specific order—that the Broncos should target in the draft.
    Have to agree with everything on this list except wide receiver. I'd put a pass catching tight end above that. Our top 2 wide outs are good. Everything else is spot on.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

1. Offensive line
    2. Offensive line
    3. Offensive line
    4. Defensive line.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

3. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

I would still get Poe and OL in FA....

Then I would draft a TE very very high, and MORE OL high. Throw in a DE and MLB early too and finish off with a RB and WR and CB in the mid rounds. We have like 12 picks and something stupid like 6 within the top 75 or something.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

1st rnd, defense.
    2nd rnd, OL.
    3rd rnd, OL.
    3rd rnd, OL.

Things could change but it doesn't look like the draft to be looking for 1st round OL, especially if it takes 4-5 years to teach these OL how to play football. Should get back to the defense first philosophy, imo.

I might even take a RB in 1st round.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Lt, lg, rg, rt

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Lt, lg, rg, rt
    We need a DE and an inside LB too.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    We need a DE and an inside LB too.
    NT and ILB instead, provided Gotsis isn't another 2nd round bust.

I wish I could believe that the Chefs let Poe hit the market.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

11. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

I know, right?

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Lt, lg, rg, rt
    Draft a premier left tackle move Okung to right tackle and Stephenson to right guard.
    In Elway We Trust

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

They have no choice. They are fried with the cap. I suppose they could do a sign and trade but that's about it
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

16. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Draft a premier left tackle move Okung to right tackle and Stephenson to right guard.
    I doubt Okung returns: The contract he wrote himself has a three-year club option at ~$12M annually, and he hasn't played anywhere nearly well enough for Elway to go on the hook for that. He basically gave himself a "prove it" deal, and what he's proven is that he's not worth that much for that long. If we can renegotiate and he's willing, great, but if it's a choice between moving on our committing to $35M over the next three years, that appears an easy choice.

If Jaded's right this is a down year for blockers I don't know what to say except "go back in time and spend 1st round picks on blockers in PREVIOUS drafts."

We need a NT, yes, and may need a coverage LB more, but the value placed on the latter's low enough good ones should be available later. The biggest thing we need is blockers, and lots of them. Stephenson might be a serviceable RT if we had ANYTHING at RG, but Okung's been awful at LT and Garcia and Paradis still bite on every single stunt or delayed blitz they see.

All else being equal, I'd probably go LT, NT, ILB, RG depending on what kind of quality we can get where in FA (I'm also assuming Oz keeps his job in Houston and that's good enough for a 3rd round supplemental pick.) But all draft classes are NEVER equal, and I don't follow college ball, so never know what's available in the current crop. I do know top ILBs and Gs tend to last longer than top LTs and NTs, so would draft accordingly.
    Last edited by Joel; 12-04-2016 at 02:39 AM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

18. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Time travel will never happen...because it's the easily biggest threat to humanity in the history of the world...because people like Joel would abuse it by going back in in time to sign Joe Asamoah and Bob Schwartz instead of Peyton Manning.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I doubt Okung returns: The contract he wrote himself has a three-year club option at ~$12M annually, and he hasn't played anywhere nearly well enough for Elway to go on the hook for that. He basically gave himself a "prove it" deal, and what he's proven is that he's not worth that much for that long. If we can renegotiate and he's willing, great, but if it's a choice between moving on our committing to $35M over the next three years, that appears an easy choice.

If Jaded's right this is a down year for blockers I don't know what to say except "go back in time and spend 1st round picks on blockers in PREVIOUS drafts."

We need a NT, yes, and may need a coverage LB more, but the value placed on the latter's low enough good ones should be available later. The biggest thing we need is blockers, and lots of them. Stephenson might be a serviceable RT if we had ANYTHING at RG, but Okung's been awful at LT and Garcia and Paradis still bite on every single stunt or delayed blitz they see.

All else being equal, I'd probably go LT, NT, ILB, RG depending on what kind of quality we can get where in FA (I'm also assuming Oz keeps his job in Houston and that's good enough for a 3rd round supplemental pick.) But all draft classes are NEVER equal, and I don't follow college ball, so never know what's available in the current crop. I do know top ILBs and Gs tend to last longer than top LTs and NTs, so would draft accordingly.
    If we can get a starter at left tackle when we pick at 32 with the rookie wage scale I don't think it would be terrible to keep Okung at RT since he'd provide depth at LT as well.
    In Elway We Trust

We won't pick at 32; there's a good chance we'll pick in the top 20. And if Okungs play were worth $12M each of the next three seasons, we wouldn't need a LT. It's not that we can't afford him, it's that he wrote himself a "prove it" deal he then proceeded to prove he isn't worth.

That said, if we upgrade our line COACHING next year, that could theoretically change. Okung was no slouch in Seattle, and Mathis is a former All Pro, but neither they nor ANY of our linemen have performed well under Barone; even Vasquez regressed.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I wish okung worked out.

I would be great to see players betting on themselves and winning, then we could get rid of agents who drive up the price to stupid levels for even the most average of players... David Bruton bring an example

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information