Thread: How do you determine if an app is legitimate?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default How do you determine if an app is legitimate?

I’m wanting to download a budgeting app to help me better manage my finances, but I’ve heard numerous stories about some apps are just inviting hackers on to your computing devices. So how do I know which ones are safe, whether looking for a budgeting or other app, in which ones are trouble?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I usually just let the electoral college decide for me.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

3. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I’m wanting to download a budgeting app to help me better manage my finances, but I’ve heard numerous stories about some apps are just inviting hackers on to your computing devices. So how do I know which ones are safe, whether looking for a budgeting or other app, in which ones are trouble?
    If it's in the app store it's legitimate in that it's been tested to work and scanned for viruses. That doesn't mean it doesn't open your device to issues though. If you download an app and it says it needs access to a bunch of things it shouldn't (like why would a budgeting app need to know your location or look at your pictures?) then maybe you should think about not installing it. There are quite a few good budget apps out there, the one most people use, and the most often imitated is "Mint". Quicken also makes a good app. You can certainly trust both of those.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    If it's in the app store it's legitimate in that it's been tested to work and scanned for viruses. That doesn't mean it doesn't open your device to issues though. If you download an app and it says it needs access to a bunch of things it shouldn't (like why would a budgeting app need to know your location or look at your pictures?) then maybe you should think about not installing it. There are quite a few good budget apps out there, the one most people use, and the most often imitated is "Mint". Quicken also makes a good app. You can certainly trust both of those.
    The only caveat would be you're talking about Apple's app store. If he has an android, it's a bit different as they're not quite as strict with the apps uploaded.

I definitely would recommend the two you did, and if those aren't appealing, look for the ones that have the highest rating and most downloads.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    The only caveat would be you're talking about Apple's app store. If he has an android, it's a bit different as they're not quite as strict with the apps uploaded.

I definitely would recommend the two you did, and if those aren't appealing, look for the ones that have the highest rating and most downloads.
    Yes, I use Android, but I'd also like to work on my Windows laptop because a desktop version is better for planning out your long term financial goals & full size keyboard is easier for me to use. Nevertheless, an Android app is readily accessible when you want to record your purchases before you forget. There’s a few that allow for both, including the aforementioned Mint.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yes, I use Android, but I'd also like to work on my Windows laptop because a desktop version is better for planning out your long term financial goals & full size keyboard is easier for me to use. Nevertheless, an Android app is readily accessible when you want to record your purchases before you forget. There’s a few that allow for both, including the aforementioned Mint.
    What I personally did was create my own spreadsheet in Google sheets where I manually track my budget. It's a little more work on the front end getting it set up, and you have to be diligent in putting every transaction you do in there yourself, but I've always preferred that method to any app. And with Google sheets you can easily access it on your desktop or through your phone, especially with Android.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Your bank might have something good as well. Mine does. Once I categorize purchases on my card it knows them for the future and keeps track of everything for me.

12. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    What I personally did was create my own spreadsheet in Google sheets where I manually track my budget. It's a little more work on the front end getting it set up, and you have to be diligent in putting every transaction you do in there yourself, but I've always preferred that method to any app. And with Google sheets you can easily access it on your desktop or through your phone, especially with Android.
    Actually, the 1st thing I did was download premade templates of budgets done on Excel.

http://www.spreadsheet123.com/ExcelT...s/budgets.html

The chain of events that have led me to this point is that my mom & I are going to be discussing what is necessary for Autistics/Aspies live independently. I’m not going to give you the entire rundown of why this is an especially important subject for us, but its also a very useful topic for anyone who is getting ready to move out on their own. So for this reason, my topic this Saturday is, “Using 21st Century Technology to Circumvent Money Management Issues.” If we’re going to be talking about 21st century solutions to just about anything, apps have to be included in the subject. So I’ve spent the last couple of months giving myself a crash course on this subject for those who look to apps for everything, even though I’m not one of the people

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Actually, the 1st thing I did was download premade templates of budgets done on Excel.

http://www.spreadsheet123.com/ExcelT...s/budgets.html

The chain of events that have led me to this point is that my mom & I are going to be discussing what is necessary for Autistics/Aspies live independently. I’m not going to give you the entire rundown of why this is an especially important subject for us, but its also a very useful topic for anyone who is getting ready to move out on their own. So for this reason, my topic this Saturday is, “Using 21st Century Technology to Circumvent Money Management Issues.” If we’re going to be talking about 21st century solutions to just about anything, apps have to be included in the subject. So I’ve spent the last couple of months giving myself a crash course on this subject for those who look to apps for everything, even though I’m not one of the people
    Mint is probably your best bet as others have said. It does a good job of grouping your expenses and what you spend on each month and ties in all your accounts into one place.

15. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yea google sheets is where it is at. You can do it regardless of what device you are on and then if you need to you can download it and use excel to edit it as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

You can install tithe App, install Malwarebytes, run the scan. If it leaves any files taht can be suspected as malware or adware it will remove the files.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

18. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information