Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: As Ratings Plummet, N.F.L. Considers Reducing Ads and Length of Games

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I like Sunday night better than Monday night because it's on free tv, and I think the production value is much better. I'm curious as to which night gets better ratings.
    I believe typically Sunday night gets better ratings. NBC has more pull in picking better matchups and it's a more captive audience.

It's kind of hard to look at the prime time games this year. They've had awful games, even with decent looking matchups and went up against the Cubs in a World Series and two presidential debates in the most watched presidential election ever (I believe).
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I believe typically Sunday night gets better ratings. NBC has more pull in picking better matchups and it's a more captive audience.

It's kind of hard to look at the prime time games this year. They've had awful games, even with decent looking matchups and went up against the Cubs in a World Series and two presidential debates in the most watched presidential election ever (I believe).
    It will be interesting to see if ratings pick back up now that the WS and election are both over. Especially since they are getting close to being able to flex in SNF games. If with all that ratings still suck, there might actually be more to it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    It will be interesting to see if ratings pick back up now that the WS and election are both over. Especially since they are getting close to being able to flex in SNF games. If with all that ratings still suck, there might actually be more to it.
    It's hard to tell. I've counted about 10 different theories in this thread, including mine, so it's got be hard to pin down.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I dont doubt it, RZ is just simply amazing.
    It's the only way I watch Broncos games now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I like Sunday night. I like football on all day sunday. I do not like thursday night football. Sunday and Monday and the annual thanksgiving games. Thats it. All the other crap that they do that you just said can go.
    Yeah - I like Sunday night too - unless the Walking Dead is in season!

The Sunday AM game and the Thursday games are hurting their ratings, IMO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Yeah - I like Sunday night too - unless the Walking Dead is in season!

The Sunday AM game and the Thursday games are hurting their ratings, IMO.
    Totally agree. Football should be Sunday and Monday only. And another thing that is hurting ratings is that people are dropping cable like crazy. Keep all the games on national network TV. I also think more Sunday night games should flex earlier in the season for better matchups. It just doesn't feel special anymore. I used to watch the Monday Night game regardless because it seemed to be the spotlight game.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Totally agree. Football should be Sunday and Monday only. And another thing that is hurting ratings is that people are dropping cable like crazy. Keep all the games on national network TV. I also think more Sunday night games should flex earlier in the season for better matchups. It just doesn't feel special anymore. I used to watch the Monday Night game regardless because it seemed to be the spotlight game.
    The novelty of Thursday football has definitely passed with me. I don't like the teams having the short week, and I find life/work during the week is too busy and I rarely watch Thursday night football unless it's the Broncos. It also really sucks in terms of fantasy and pools.

I think the exception being the Kickoff week, I like having the one Thursday night game to kick off the season.

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

The NFL grew and grew for so long that it's decline was inevitable. I'm not sure why the rating are going down other than that general sense, but if people aren't watching because of Kaepernick in mass numbers I would be a little surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    The NFL grew and grew for so long that it's decline was inevitable. I'm not sure why the rating are going down other than that general sense, but if people aren't watching because of Kaepernick in mass numbers I would be a little surprised.
    While I've heard surveys mentioned that listed not honoring/disrespecting the national anthem as a reason, I tend to believe that is either overblown (meaning, a respondent might say it because it pisses them off but doesn't really stop them from watching football) or these are very casual football watchers if that makes them change the channel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I only know a couple of people who claimed to boycott the NFL over Kap, and one of them has already said he's watching football again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I went to go watch the Thursday night game, then when i saw who it was i dropped the remote and decided to do something else. Cleveland Baltimore. yikes.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I just have better things to do these days to be honest. I don't feel very invested in watching any non-Broncos games. It's nice to have a game on Sunday afternoon while i'm being lazy or working on something, but even when it's on I find myself barely paying attention. I also don't have cable so I can't watch any of the extra weekday games. I'll watch the Broncos game if it's on CBS/Fox/NBC on Sunday, but I feel like I don't have any reason to really watch any of the other teams play except as background noise. If the Broncos game isn't being shown, i'm more likely to just turn on netflix than watch the other games.

I'm also still riding the post-SB high and am content with not being as invested this year.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I only know a couple of people who claimed to boycott the NFL over Kap, and one of them has already said he's watching football again.
    Of course. Kap fixed it and all is well again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

They need to reduce the number of incompetent, biased and/or corrupt officials. Start there and see if they can't keep their ads.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    They need to reduce the number of incompetent, biased and/or corrupt officials. Start there and see if they can't keep their ads.
    Biased/corrupt?

22. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information