Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you expect from the Broncos offense this year?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default What did you expect from the Broncos offense this year?

Come on now, don't hold back-- tell us how you really feel. . .

2. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Terrell Davis #30

I expected to run the ball better! We are very boring, I don't mind too much as long as we win!
    But I am constantly asking the Defense to score for us.

I expected Kubiak to run an offense that put his defense in a bad position as few times as possible. There was and is not doubt that the defense is the strength of this team, so the three things that really put the defense in a pad position are:

1. turnovers, especially on your half of the field.
    2. three and outs
    3. time of possession

Last year, after Manning was on the bench of seven games, when he came back in week 17, he was still leading the league in interceptions. If I recall correctly, it took a rookie QB (who I believe played all 16 games vs Manning's 9 or so) throwing two picks in week 17 to wrestle the INT crown away from Manning.

Last year, the Broncos had 23 INTs and lost 8 fumbles and many of those 31 turnovers were on the Broncos side of the 50, putting the defense in a bad position.

So, going into this year, especially when they lost the starting QB that they expected to be Manning's replacement, I expected to see a very conservative offense that was focused on not putting the defense in a bad position.

As such, I expected to see a good running game, controlled play action passing game, with a focus on TOP and reducing turnovers.

Unfortunately, to a very large extent, Kubiak has a been a one trick pony throughout his career and if the running game isn't working, then rarely does the passing game work, because it's so play action focused. That was my biggest fear coming into this season, with the offense, which is that the run game wouldn't be effective and therefore neither would be play action.

Now, up until Siemian's injury, the offense was doing very well in terms of limiting three and outs (I think through four games, Siemian was only behind Ryan for instance in the % of his passes that went for first downs) and overall the offense has done well in terms of limiting turnovers, with only five INTs (Siemian 4 and Lynch 1), but the six fumbles are among the lead league. Still, at this point last year Manning had more INTs (13) then the total turnovers (11) for the '16 offense.

So, by and large, the offense is what I expected this year, good enough to win games, with a focus on limiting turnovers and not putting the defense in a bad position.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

A 100 gazillion pts per game.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

10-20% improvement over last year

9. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Like Jack said, you hoped they would run the ball a little better and got a little more production from the TEs. Hopefully after the game Virgil had last week, Siemian looks to him a little more. Help out the young QB.

11. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Like Jack said, you hoped they would run the ball a little better and got a little more production from the TEs. Hopefully after the game Virgil had last week, Siemian looks to him a little more. Help out the young QB.
    I think Virgil was banged up for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I think Virgil was banged up for a few weeks.
    Right, but he didn't miss the first 7 games. I think he missed 3. It was nice to see him get involved.

This is the burning question you have at 4:30 in the morning?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

15. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I really expected more production out of the TE, between Jeff H. being healthy and Greene's emergence (I thought), I was expecting lots of passes to TE's.

17. The Following 6 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I really expected more production out of the TE, between Jeff H. being healthy and Greene's emergence (I thought), I was expecting lots of passes to TE's.
    So did I. It doesn't seem like Denver is using the middle of the field much. Everything is to the outside. I got all excited last Sunday when Virgil started getting some looks.

19. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I didn't expect much more in terms of points scored, but I did expect a much improved running game, and better O-Line play.

Stephenson getting hurt seems to have set us back. In games 1 & 2 the O-line was playing much better and the running game was also much better.

I'm hoping that the guys up front can stay healthy, and improve with a bye week to work with over the 2nd half of the season.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Well, when?

When it was Sanchez, I expected butt fumbles and interceptions

When Sanchez was cut, I expected Tebow time redux

When Siemian was named starter, I expected to look up who Siemian was

When we beat Carolina, I expected 28 points per game, and that we only didn't hit that because it was Carolina's defense

When Siemian got hurt, I expected Tebow time redux!

When Lynch played, I expected Tebow time redux!

Now, I am expecting that Dixon will get a lot of practice and our defense will bail us out.

23. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'm not sure. I expected a lot better running game. I didn't expect regression through the season.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'm not sure. I expected a lot better running game. I didn't expect regression through the season.
    Agreed on both counts. I think every team has ups and downs, so I'm not sure how much regression we are seeing vs. some rough games, but I don't feel there has been as much improvement as I would have liked to see.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information