Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Halfway point: Where the Broncos stand

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default Halfway point: Where the Broncos stand

Somehow we are already halfway through the season. Seems like we were just playing the Panthers in week 1, but here we are. Here is where things stand at the moment:

AFC West:

Raiders 6-2 (1-1)
    Broncos 6-2 (1-1)
    Chiefs 5-2 (2-0)
    Chargers 3-5 (1-3)

AFC:

1. Patriots 7-1
    2. Raiders 6-2
    3. Texans 5-3
    4. Steelers 4-3
    5. Broncos 6-2
    6. Chiefs 5-2

Broncos remaining schedule:

@ Oakland
    @ New Orleans
    BYE
    vs. Kansas City
    @ Jacksonville
    @ Tennessee
    vs. New England
    @ Kansas City
    vs. Oakland

It's definitely been an interesting first half of the season, but I feel pretty happy to be sitting at 6-2. The AFC wound up being the group of death this year in the NFL, so we have very little margin for error. This game at Oakland next week is our biggest game of the year. Whoever wins will be in the driver's seat for the division. After that, we have a winnable stretch of games that we really need to take advantage of. I think we will have to go at least 11-5 to win the division and more likely 12-4.

So how does everyone feel about the team at the halfway point and how do you see us doing over the back half of the schedule? I, personally, see us going 11-5 with losses at Oakland, vs New England, and at KC. I think we will need to flip one of those two divisional games in our favor to win the division, but I don't see it happening at this point. Worst case I see us very safely in the wildcard though. I'd be really shocked if the AFCW doesn't get 2 teams in. Every other division in the AFC is trash past the division leaders this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I'm on to Oakland.

#hotaftake
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

3. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

They need to try and trade for Thomas, imo, this isn't getting any easier for the offense.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

5. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

I'll be Debbie downer... We aren't going anywhere far with this offense. It's nice to be 6-2, but this feels like the fakest 6-2 I've seen in quite a long time. Say we went to the super bowl and the opponent was the Vikings, their D would eat this offense up and spit it out. So I'll enjoy the defense, though they are noticeably worse without Malik and Trevathan against the run, and try not too expect too much. Then I can be completely surprised if they go far.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I'll be Debbie downer... We aren't going anywhere far with this offense. It's nice to be 6-2, but this feels like the fakest 6-2 I've seen in quite a long time. Say we went to the super bowl and the opponent was the Vikings, their D would eat this offense up and spit it out. So I'll enjoy the defense, though they are noticeably worse without Malik and Trevathan against the run, and try not too expect too much. Then I can be completely surprised if they go far.
    I think barring a total collapse we'll make the playoffs by default just because there is a huge dropoff in the AFC past the current top 6, but I tend to agree that this doesn't look like a team that will make a deep playoff run.

On the other hand every other team has deep flaws too except the Pats, so given the right draw in the playoffs we could have as good a chance as anyone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

5 road games and 3 tough home games. Combined record of 2d half opponents: 37-22, about same as 10-6. Would be unsurprising to go 2-6 over this stretch to finish season at 8-8 with a back end this brutal.

To make the postseason, Broncos will need to get home wins against Oakland and KC. Will need to beat 2/3 of J-ville, Tennessee, and Saints. Could really use a win on the road at Oak or KC. If they do that, they have a solid shot at postseason at 11-5.

With this defense, you can't count the Broncos out of any game. But they still need to manufacture points. They need to figure out a way to run the ball consistently and get production from the TE position. Siemian can't carry this team behind this line. I wish there was a band-aid fix for the O-line.

Can't say I'm penciling in postseason plans, but this is a championship defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

How are the raiders ahead of us? We both have a win and a loss within the division and we both got beat by the falcons.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

How are the raiders ahead of us? We both have a win and a loss within the division and we both got beat by the falcons.
    Record against common opponents.

Thus far, our common opponents are Atlanta, Tampa, and San Diego. Denver is 2-2 against those teams and Oakland is 2-1.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Oh man. Be careful voicing this opinion in writing.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

We are current SB Champs and have a 6-2 record. This year has not been pretty just like last year wasnt. Either way, im enjoying what we have and its interesting to see all the Debbie Downers especially one particular who made it a point to always state how spoiled Bronco fans are and we should just enjoy the success Denver has had. lol

I'm more curious how we're 5th in the AFC despite this:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    AFC:

1. Patriots 7-1
    2. Raiders 6-2
    3. Texans 5-3
    4. Steelers 4-3
    5. Broncos 6-2
    6. Chiefs 5-2

Broncos remaining schedule:

@ Oakland
    @ New Orleans
    BYE
    vs. Kansas City
    @ Jacksonville
    @ Tennessee
    vs. New England
    @ Kansas City
    vs. Oakland
    Division, conference and other tiebreaks aren't even a factor for the Texans and Steelers: We're a full game up on the Texans (AND hold the first tiebreak, since we beat them; only way they could be ahead of us would be in a three-way tie where someone else had a higher division/conference winning percentage, so we got eliminated before head-to-heads became relevant.) And even with Pitts bye, 6/8>4/7, so we're ahead of them, too (same applies to KC, despite their perfect AFCW record: That only counts as a TIEBREAK, and we're not tied, we're ahead.)

A lot could depend on whether Smith's actually concussed, and how long he's out if so (not to mention our injuries.) But I do agree with the assessment that it looks like the AFCW will come down to whoever wins the most games in the Denver-Oakland-KC round robin, so our visit to the Black Holes huge. One of my coworkers has had this game circled all year; rooted for Atlanta against us specifically so the Black Hole game could be for 1st place in the division (though I don't think he planned on losing to KC in the interim; that definitely complicates things, since they're only half a game behind both of us.)

Bottom line is that we host the Cheats and still have both games against KC and Oakland ahead of us, so we control our own destiny. For good or ill; there's no evidence our line will ever hold up this year, and much evidence our QBs and RBs can't hold up behind Swiss cheese any better than Manning, Oz, Anderson and Hillman did last year. That Thomas trade's looking better and better; can we trade for 5 of him?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'm more curious how we're 5th in the AFC despite this:

Division, conference and other tiebreaks aren't even a factor for the Texans and Steelers: We're a full game up on the Texans (AND hold the first tiebreak, since we beat them; only way they could be ahead of us would be in a three-way tie where someone else had a higher division/conference winning percentage, so we got eliminated before head-to-heads became relevant.) And even with Pitts bye, 6/8>4/7, so we're ahead of them, too (same applies to KC, despite their perfect AFCW record: That only counts as a TIEBREAK, and we're not tied, we're ahead.)
    He's showing playoff seeding. Top four teams are the division leaders, regardless of record.

I'm glad you started this thread, Wave. I had an idea to do something like this myself. I'll have more to say later when I sort through some stats.

18. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    We are current SB Champs and have a 6-2 record. This year has not been pretty just like last year wasnt. Either way, im enjoying what we have and its interesting to see all the Debbie Downers especially one particular who made it a point to always state how spoiled Bronco fans are and we should just enjoy the success Denver has had. lol
    What's that I hear in the distance? It's sirens. ..the fan police are on their way! Oh goody!

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

A lot of road games left.....yikes

I'll take 6-2 any day after a superbowl win. If we can get to 8-2 at the bye I like our chances. Next game is huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information