Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Wolfe told Rivers he would eat his kids

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    I bet they wouldn't taste any good, anyway!!!

From my experience of eating Raiders I find the "don't swallow" approach works best.
    Chew 'em up and spit 'em out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yep. It was either last week or the week before I was in the car listening to Sirius NFL and they were having a fairly lengthy discussion about whether or not he's a HOF QB. They were saying that by the time he retires he will likely be top five in most QB categories, and they only real knock on him will likely be that he didn't win a ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    Even THAT might be high. Only 25 QBs from the modern era are in the HOF.
    Define "modern era;" that's even worse than just "an era." But if it even means "were still playing after the merger," Wikipedias list (which it claims to be current through this year) says even 25 is too high: I count 20. Alphabetically, they are:

Aikman,
    Blanda,
    Bradshaw,
    Dawson,
    Elway,
    Favre,
    Fouts,
    Griese,
    Jurgensen,
    Kelly,
    Marino,
    Montana,
    Moon,
    Namath,
    Stabler,
    Starr,
    Staubach,
    Tarkenton,
    Unitas,
    Young

The ones who never won a SB are limited to just Blanda, Fouts, Jurgensen, Kelly, Marino, Moon and Tarkenton. And Blanda and Jurgensen are in the Hall for what they achieved before rather than after the merger (though Blanda kicked until '75, and his '61 Oilers offense posted impressive stats even by modern standards, the year of the inaugural SB was also Blandas last either an Oiler or starting QB: He only played a SINGLE game at QB the rest of his career.)

Among non-champions, it's just Fouts, Kelly, Marino, Moon and Tarkenton, all but two of whom at least REACHED a SB. The sole unassailable ones are Tarkenton and Marino, who lost all their SBs, but set every career passing record in the book carrying bad teams to their SBs (Marinos Dolphins had NO D; Tarkenton had the Purple People Eaters, but awful skill players, and no decent linemen except Tinglehoff and Yary.)

Fouts is probably the weakest of the bunch, because, like Moon and Kelly, there's a good argument he was just an artifact of a great offense, and one that consistently came up short against solid pre-cap playoff teams who couldn't just be bombed into submission. Moon mitigates that with his longevity and CFL dynasties, Kelly with his unprecedented and unequaled 4 straight SB berths, but Fouts is just "look what Air Coryells West Coast Offense can (almost) do!"

So I guess the good news for Rivers is that the ONLY SB Era QB to make Canton without 1) reaching a SB and/or 2) doing something NEVER done before or since just happens to be a San Diego Charger. Whether that Bolt can strike twice in the same place remains to be seen though. Championships shouldn't matter as much as they do, but they STILL DO; that's been true far longer than the SB Era.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Define "modern era;" that's even worse than just "an era." But if it even means "were still playing after the merger," Wikipedias list (which it claims to be current through this year) says even 25 is too high: I count 20.
    According to the NFL HOF website (I think slightly more accurate than Wikipedia) there's 25 in the "modern era" (see here: http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes...ame/positions/)

What constitutes the modern era? Well, that was a hunt through the HOF Media guide. *YEESH* Here is the definition of modern era vs. pre-modern era:
    Pre-Modern Era is defined as the majority of an enshrinees’ career occurred prior to 1946. Modern Era is defined as a majority of an enshrinees’ career occurred after 1946.

As for the discussion about Phyllis being HOF caliber? No. His body of work just isn't good enough in my mind. Then again Jerry Jones is in and Pat Bowlen isn't (along with other travesties like Gradishar) but I suppose Jones' membership on the HOF board of trustees matters more than actual contributions to the game itself. But that's a different discussion.
    Last edited by The Glue Factory; 11-03-2016 at 10:26 AM.

not a wise thing for Wolfe to say even if he didn't mean it. Imagine the Rivers children do get eaten, who do you think the cops would consider the primary suspect?

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Terrell Davis #30

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    not a wise thing for Wolfe to say even if he didn't mean it. Imagine the Rivers children do get eaten, who do you think the cops would consider the primary suspect?
    This made me laugh!

7. The Following User High Fived capt. Jack For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    This made me laugh!
    Thanks Captain Jack!

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    Wolfe.

Or A wolf.

10. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    According to the NFL HOF website (I think slightly more accurate than Wikipedia) there's 25 in the "modern era" (see here: http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes...ame/positions/)

What constitutes the modern era? Well, that was a hunt through the HOF Media guide. *YEESH* Here is the definition of modern era vs. pre-modern era:

As for the discussion about Phyllis being HOF caliber? No. His body of work just isn't good enough in my mind. Then again Jerry Jones is in and Pat Bowlen isn't (along with other travesties like Gradishar) but I suppose Jones' membership on the HOF board of trustees matters more than actual contributions to the game itself. But that's a different discussion.
    Well, let’s analyses the data:

The last “Pre-Modern Era” QB
    Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952

The 1st “Modern Era” QBs
    Otto Graham 1946-1955
    Bobby Layne 1948-1962
    Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
    Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
    Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

The pivotal years seems to be 1950, the year that they started allowing unlimited substitutions. So the “Pre-Modern Era” players played both offense & defense, while the “Modern Era” players (with very few exceptions) play one or the other.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information