Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good and the Bad: Week 8

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The possession at the end of the game backed up to the goalline. You cannot take a timeout there. Can't do it. I don't know who's fault it was, but you took 22 seconds off the clock and allowed the Chargers to have one timeout left.
    I agree the possession wasn't good in that they couldn't get a first down, which isn't entirely surprising being backed up against the goal line, but I think you are mistaken on the timeout. When the Broncos took their timeout, it was after SD had already taken one, so the clock was stopped. The only thing it did was burn one of the Broncos three time outs, which in theory if SD had scored quickly after the punt, the Broncos might have needed to try and match the score.

Anyway, it didn't take 22 seconds off the clock, because the clock was already stopped by the SD time out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

MO I thought the backup ILB (Nelson) was better than the starter (Davis). Nelson lost his jock on one pass play and slipped off another tackle, but Davis is just horrible.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Oline pass blocked decent today. Not much for run blocking.

Siemian looked worse in person than on tv? He was by far worse player on field imo today.

Defense was savage for missing marshall and talib. 4 downs on the 2 yard line and held was so sweet to watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    MO I thought the backup ILB (Nelson) was better than the starter (Davis). Nelson lost his jock on one pass play and slipped off another tackle, but Davis is just horrible.
    I was specifically referring to the run game. Gordon had one of his best days as a professional.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I think it was the play Gordon went over 100 that was right thru Davis gap as he's getting dealt with, this is the play where Nelson had Gordon but slipped the tackle.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    This is where I'm at.

Enjoy it I guess - but the Raiders are going to bitch-slap this squad as it stands now. Denver does not have an NFL offense at the moment.

This is a bad team with a very good defense until further notice.
    Ok Joel.

Okung gets beat a lot, leading to him holding, leading to penalties. He was supposed to be a goid pickup, but he sure ticks me off. Him getting beat lead to the Trevor fumble.

Booker needs to learn to hang on to the freaking ball.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by scott.475 View Post
    Okung gets beat a lot, leading to him holding, leading to penalties. He was supposed to be a goid pickup, but he sure ticks me off. Him getting beat lead to the Trevor fumble.

Great point. Those two turnovers were as high-leverage as it comes. Game is a way different one if they don't happen--figure maybe 10 points more on the Bronco side of the score, and possibly more obvious passing situations for the Denver D to feast on. The fumble sucked but you figure he's a rookie and he'll learn to secure the ball. But Okung is making a name for himself in Denver in a bad way. If we had to scapegoat one healthy starter for Denver's poor line play, I'm thinking it's Okung. What's up with that dude?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Punter Dixon was awesome today.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I agree the possession wasn't good in that they couldn't get a first down, which isn't entirely surprising being backed up against the goal line, but I think you are mistaken on the timeout. When the Broncos took their timeout, it was after SD had already taken one, so the clock was stopped. The only thing it did was burn one of the Broncos three time outs, which in theory if SD had scored quickly after the punt, the Broncos might have needed to try and match the score.

Anyway, it didn't take 22 seconds off the clock, because the clock was already stopped by the SD time out.
    You're right on the first part. Denver took a timeout after a San Diego timeout. The drive, however, as I said only took 22 seconds off the clock.

Denver was lucky the refs didn't rule the holding in the endzone and that also stopped the clock. Also a problem.

As to that third down pass. Damn. I thought you said he was accurate.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by scott.475 View Post

It's baffling: He's always been solid when healthy—until now, when he essentially negotiated himself a "prove it" deal (i.e. at seasons end we either take a $1M cap hit to cut him, or guarantee him $12M each of the next THREE years; not hard to figure out which we'd choose now, since no one's going to murder their cap for three seasons for this kind of "performance.") He's going from "FA steal" to "lucky to make a roster" in a single season. Kinda like Evan Mathis last year, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence we can fix our line any time soon.

Yet Kubiak and Dennisons lines literally EVERYWHERE else—Baltimore, Houston and their first run with Denver—annually gave virtual clinics in dominant blocking.

I'm starting to think Clancy Barone's the weak link: The guy who joined Denver as TE coach in 2009 and has gone back and forth from there to offensive line coach ever since. The one other constant from the last six years? Consistently awful blocking by both linemen and TEs. According to the team site,

THAT'S what we're counting on to turn Paradis, Garcia, Sambrailo, Schofield and McGovern into starting quality NFL lineman? Yick. Not trying to point fingers, honest, and I realize correlation doesn't equal causation (however suggestively it winks and nods.) Just looking for answers to something... baffling....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Punter Dixon was awesome today.
    69 yard punt was a beauty. Feet at back of endzone. His kicks look like shanks in person but they are high and consistent with 45 yards.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    You're right on the first part. Denver took a timeout after a San Diego timeout. The drive, however, as I said only took 22 seconds off the clock.

Denver was lucky the refs didn't rule the holding in the endzone and that also stopped the clock. Also a problem.

As to that third down pass. Damn. I thought you said he was accurate.
    I clearly misread your post. The way you were saying they couldn't take a timeout there, I though you were indicating that timeout allowed the Chargers to save a timeout and save 22 seconds, but I see it was several independent thoughts. Agreed that any time you take a timeout after the other team has taken one, it's bad, and what I didn't like was that if SD had scored quickly, the Broncos might have needed it, but when you are backed up on the goal line and up by 8, the most important thing is trying to execute well. It might have been that SD was in a defense that surprised the Broncos (players or coaches) and they wanted to reset with another play.

As to accuracy, nice jab.

I need to wait until coaches film is up in a couple days. From what I remember of the one replay of that, both Sanders and Thomas were well covered and it looked like he was either throwing it away or just trying to fit it into a high, outside spot that maybe DT could get his hands on. Up by 8 in that spot and the most important thing is to not turn the ball over.

P.S. I also though Eli Manning and Rodgers were accurate, but have you seen some of their missed throws this year? What I've consistently said is that if he's graded on the curve that he should be as a first year starter, meaning compare him to how first year starters typically perform, then he's done very well.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    69 yard punt was a beauty. Feet at back of endzone. His kicks look like shanks in person but they are high and consistent with 45 yards.
    I'm not sure if it's his kicking motion, or maybe that he doesn't get much hang time, but people on here regularly call 40+ yard balls terrible and shanks and even the announcers have multiple times said, "oh, that's not a good punt" or "that's not what they wanted there" only for it to be a 42 or even 46+ yard punt. I haven't actually timed any, but my sense is that his hang time isn't what it should be more than his distance being short.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I'm not sure if it's his kicking motion, or maybe that he doesn't get much hang time, but people on here regularly call 40+ yard balls terrible and shanks and even the announcers have multiple times said, "oh, that's not a good punt" or "that's not what they wanted there" only for it to be a 42 or even 46+ yard punt. I haven't actually timed any, but my sense is that his hang time isn't what it should be more than his distance being short.
    I think Mason said he's up to 7th in the league in net average right now. I know it's cool to hate on the guy, but I don't know what else people want him to do.

19. The Following 6 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information