Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Play calling against Atlanta

Default Play calling against Atlanta

Ok, multiple people have been claiming the loss can at least in part be attributed to play calling. Spikerman made the statement in the sick Kubes thread that they should have at least tried to pass on first and second down. I quickly, from my tablet while in bad, tallied up the number of passes on first and second down, and posted it in response.

Gem, rightfully so, suggested that we take the discussion about Kube's play calling out of the Kubes taken to hospital thread.

So, I'm curious about the specific criticism people had about the play calling, and what they would have liked to see done differently.

To get the ball rolling, here's Spikerman's post and my response from the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    How about throwing more often on first and second down? The run game was going nowhere. Play calling is just not that difficult and doesn't require an advanced degree.
    I think 33 times is about as often as you can ask for.

They had 44 or so passing plays (including sacks and penalties) and 33 of those pass plays were attempted on first or second down.

They passed a ton on first and second down, they just weren't effective.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Alijah Holder

They should have called more completions.

Damn play callers, calling those sacks.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived iLands For This Post:

I don't watch the games as closely as I have in the past. One eye on the TV and one on the baby.

The o line and the inaccurate passes doomed the day from what I can tell.

Did they go shotgun much? Any screens or easy passes for the rookie? I felt like Gary might have made some second half adjustments to help his rookie in his first start but it didn't seem that way.
    I don't think we can blame the playcalling as much as the simple lack of execution on the offense as a whole.

Paxton stunk it up yesterday. Maybe he was nervous in front of the home crowd because he didn't look nervous in Tampa.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't watch the games as closely as I have in the past. One eye on the TV and one on the baby.

The o line and the inaccurate passes doomed the day from what I can tell.

Did they go shotgun much? Any screens or easy passes for the rookie? I felt like Gary might have made some second half adjustments to help his rookie in his first start but it didn't seem that way.
    I don't think we can blame the playcalling as much as the simple lack of execution on the offense as a whole.

Paxton stunk it up yesterday. Maybe he was nervous in front of the home crowd because he didn't look nervous in Tampa.
    Paxton's inconsistency was only part of it. The other issue was the RT got abused....all.day.long.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

The RT wasn't the only o lineman getting abused. They failed miserably on 3rd and 1 twice. The guards and the center didn't have good days either.

10. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I think it's pretty simple. If they win, then they did what I want.

If they lose, they should have done something different.

Sorry folks, I'm not for hire.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Paxton's inconsistency was only part of it. The other issue was the RT got abused....all.day.long.
    I listened to a good portion of the game on the radio (travelling) with the Atlanta broadcast team. Even they were wondering how the hell Schofield has an NFL job. They eventually got to the point where they started feeling bad for him more than being happy about another sack or negative penalty yardage.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

It didn't look like Lynch made any protection adjustments at the line of scrimmage which didn't help the putrid play of the oline. I wasn't impressed with the play calling either, very predictable play calling and too stubborn about trying to force the run when it was obvious it wasn't going to happen with the oline we fielded Sunday. With that said, Sambialo is awful at RT. Hopefully he can play better at guard because he's awful at RT.

15. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

The play calling means shit if the players can't do anything. The oline couldn't run block, couldn't pass protect and you have a rookie QB in his first start looking like, well, a rookie. They targeted the right side of the line and it worked, emphatically well. The biggest thing I put on the coaches is having Sambraillo on the field. How do you put a guy with one arm on the field as the starter? I get it, no depth, well that's on the upper management.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

So, here is my issue. It's not so much throwing more on first down, it's consistently putting a rookie QB in long yardage situations by trying to run on second and 10 (for example). Denver's offensive line stinks out loud. Early on it became obvious that Atlanta's terrible defensive line was still superior to the Broncos up front, but they still tried to force the issue and put an obviously unprepared Lynch in bad situations. But, I get it; I'll be the bad guy for criticizing the play calling. Denver was beaten in many phases of the game, but I don't think the coaches helped them out.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    It didn't look like Lynch made any protection adjustments at the line of scrimmage which didn't help the putrid play of the oline. I wasn't impressed with the play calling either, very predictable play calling and too stubborn about trying to force the run when it was obvious it wasn't going to happen with the oline we fielded Sunday. With that said, Sambialo is awful at RT. Hopefully he can play better at guard because he's awful at RT.
    Without having the time to fully chart it, it looks like they passed on first and second down about 60-70% of the time, that's not exactly forcing the run.

On third and one, they were betting on a bad run game vs. Inaccurate QB.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Does anyone consider that the players on the field, and their capabilities impact what plays the play-caller calls?

No?

I think it has a huge effect. With the right side of our line playing with their hands tied behind their back (by their own inability), and a rookie QB making his first start. .. . The entire playbook was not available.

This is something that speaks to Siemian's intelligence and abilities. Most of the playbook has been open with Siemian in, and even more in our first two games before Stephenson's injury undid the whole right side of the line.

When we get Stephenson back, and Siemian, our play-calling will improve dramatically. All of a sudden Kubiak et al will be great play-callers again, remembering all kinds of things that they "forgot" yesterday.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Does anyone consider that the players on the field, and their capabilities impact what plays the play-caller calls?

No?

I think it has a huge effect. With the right side of our line playing with their hands tied behind their back (by their own inability), and a rookie QB making his first start. .. . The entire playbook was not available.

This is something that speaks to Siemian's intelligence and abilities. Most of the playbook has been open with Siemian in, and even more in our first two games before Stephenson's injury undid the whole right side of the line.

When we get Stephenson back, and Siemian, our play-calling will improve dramatically. All of a sudden Kubiak et al will be great play-callers again, remembering all kinds of things that they "forgot" yesterday.
    I don't know man. It looked pretty available last week after Siemian got hurt.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

So, here is my issue. It's not so much throwing more on first down, it's consistently putting a rookie QB in long yardage situations by trying to run on second and 10 (for example). Denver's offensive line stinks out loud. Early on it became obvious that Atlanta's terrible defensive line was still superior to the Broncos up front, but they still tried to force the issue and put an obviously unprepared Lynch in bad situations. But, I get it; I'll be the bad guy for criticizing the play calling. Denver was beaten in many phases of the game, but I don't think the coaches helped them out.
    The Broncos just dont have the right personnel...IMO. Relying on journeymen, swing players. low round picks to protect young QB's is not the best way to run an effective offense. That can't always be on the coaches as they most likely have to work with the talent they are handed. The OL has either been injured and lacking depth or simply devoid of talent during Elway's tenure. That's either on him or on the scouts he employs, but something has to change.

The OL talent in the draft isnt extremely deep this year, so hopefully the Boss can find some help in a talented FA pool. Paradis is serviceable and Okung looks like a candidate to extend (so far), but the other 3 spots are up for grabs in my opinion.

27. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I don't know man. It looked pretty available last week after Siemian got hurt.
    When we had a >10 point lead most of the time, and the defense was pitching a shut-out? It makes a difference.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information