Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: If both healthy, which QB starts week 5 and why?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Would the combined skills of Gary Kubiak and John Elway be so wrong as to move up to draft a QB in the first round that became a bust? Yes, injury or PTSD (see Carr, David) can ruin a career of a promising first-rounder but, I have to trust their assessment of QBs even more than any other position. Dallas was about to take him so we jumped in and got him. We weren't alone in that first-round grade.
    I don't believe at draft time they truly believed that Siemian would compete for the starting job. I think they might have looked at him as competing for the backup job.

2. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I don't believe at draft time they truly believed that Siemian would compete for the starting job. I think they might have looked at him as competing for the backup job.
    I think that's selling them short. They kept him on the active roster all year on a Super Bowl winning roster - when they needed the depth elsewhere - so as not to expose him to another team via the Practice Squad. That signals to me that they thought he might have more than just a backup's ceiling. I think he has been their insurance policy all along, which is why they didn't get hasty in trying to acquire Bradford or Kaepernick or any of the other names that were thrown around. But it's possible I'm giving them too much credit and they got a little bit lucky with how things have played out.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Considering what happened over the offseason the trade for Sanchez and the attempt to trade for Kaepernick and the drafting of Lynch shows they weren't thinking he could be the starter.

6. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

The truth is probably in the middle there somewhere.

They really liked Siemian. No question.

But it wasn't a stone cold lock. He still had a lot to prove. Certainly though all of that had to factor in to decisions all the way from not re-signing Brock, to bringin in Sanchez etc.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Considering what happened over the offseason the trade for Sanchez and the attempt to trade for Kaepernick and the drafting of Lynch shows they weren't thinking he could be the starter.
    Or they weren't certain and were just preparing for the season. Probably why they gave Sanchez a contract that was easy to get out of if needed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Or they weren't certain and were just preparing for the season. Probably why they gave Sanchez a contract that was easy to get out of if needed.
    They traded for sanchez but elway did include some outs to keep the draft pick.

I think they had an idea on siemian which is why they did not make bad moves to acquire a QB. They were not desperate in persue in my eyes they evaluated all options and let the cards fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I think that's selling them short. They kept him on the active roster all year on a Super Bowl winning roster - when they needed the depth elsewhere - so as not to expose him to another team via the Practice Squad. That signals to me that they thought he might have more than just a backup's ceiling. I think he has been their insurance policy all along, which is why they didn't get hasty in trying to acquire Bradford or Kaepernick or any of the other names that were thrown around. But it's possible I'm giving them too much credit and they got a little bit lucky with how things have played out.
    Could be. I believe they liked him, but I think they expected to keep Osweiler and have Trevor as his backup. When they lost Osweiler, I doubt they thought that a prospect in his second year would play like this.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Then also tried to trade for Kaepernick. The were not going to bring him to be a back up quarterback.

I doubt we would've traded up for a 1st round pick to spend on a QB if Elway and Kubiak thought it even LIKELY a sophomore 7th rounder with NO pro playing experience could carry the offense if Oz held out for the embarrassing contract Houston gave him. It's working out really well so far, a tribute to the smarts and work ethic of both Kubiak and Siemian. But if it gets better rather than worse Siemian will have beaten very long odds, as the HoF QB running our FO and the career backup QB running our roster know better than anyone. All that said:

I realize everyone's impatient to play with and BREAK their shiny new toy before Christmas, but if you do Papa Elway won't buy you a new one till next year. What happened to Siemian last week with Stephenson out is just one of many reasons I didn't want to rush Lynch. Fact is, on Opening Day the defending NFC Champs had been brooding, identifying mistakes and plotting vengeance for their SB loss TWICE as long as Lynch had even been on an NFL practice field. If we'd thrown him out there it's VERY unlikely we'd still be undefeated, and quite likely we'd be wondering if/how long that backup sophomore 7th rounder could carry the offense while we waited for Lynch to get healthy enough to play again. And he probably wouldn't be practicing during that time either, slowing rather than hastening development.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I doubt we would've traded up for a 1st round pick to spend on a QB if Elway and Kubiak thought it even LIKELY a sophomore 7th rounder with NO pro playing experience could carry the offense if Oz held out for the embarrassing contract Houston gave him. It's working out really well so far, a tribute to the smarts and work ethic of both Kubiak and Siemian. But if it gets better rather than worse Siemian will have beaten very long odds, as the HoF QB running our FO and the career backup QB running our roster know better than anyone. All that said:

I realize everyone's impatient to play with and BREAK their shiny new toy before Christmas, but if you do Papa Elway won't buy you a new one till next year. What happened to Siemian last week with Stephenson out is just one of many reasons I didn't want to rush Lynch. Fact is, on Opening Day the defending NFC Champs had been brooding, identifying mistakes and plotting vengeance for their SB loss TWICE as long as Lynch had even been on an NFL practice field. If we'd thrown him out there it's VERY unlikely we'd still be undefeated, and quite likely we'd be wondering if/how long that backup sophomore 7th rounder could carry the offense while we waited for Lynch to get healthy enough to play again. And he probably wouldn't be practicing during that time either, slowing rather than hastening development.
    Yeah, those two sacks Carolina had might've really smashed Paxton's glass lady parts....

I don't think he's ready, but this doom and gloom oh my god he'll die scenario is absolutely, completely ridiculous.

15. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information