Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: Is the Universe a Simulation?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I don't think so at all. There is a difference in philosophizing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, vs. how I should treat my fellow man, or how I should approach my life with my soul at stake. I understand your criticism as someone who thinks my Faith in God absurd. However, my Faith ideally impacts decisions I make every day and how I conduct myself continually. Worrying about how many angels can theoretically dance on a pinpoint does not.
    Without your faith would you treat your fellow man differently?

If not, I see both thought experiments as equal to each other

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Right - but I'm not referring to the angels statement literally - I'm referring to the implied critique on the OP. You are implying that it's sort of a useless exercise to debate whether we're part of a simulation - but my contention is that these people are merely seeking to understand their creator. Therefore - this is a theological debate and it seems like a dismissive attitude here is the same as someone stumbling into a thread on Christianity and declaring that it's all a silly waste of time.
    they do bring up the idea of god being the one running the "simulation".

i felt it was a pretty interesting debate

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Anyone ever read the Hyperion cantos? The damn AI will ruin everything
    Another argument brought up, is we could be the AI, if the universe is actually a simulation, as we are just expressions running off the code.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Right - but I'm not referring to the angels statement literally - I'm referring to the implied critique on the OP. You are implying that it's sort of a useless exercise to debate whether we're part of a simulation - but my contention is that these people are merely seeking to understand their creator. Therefore - this is a theological debate and it seems like a dismissive attitude here is the same as someone stumbling into a thread on Christianity and declaring that it's all a silly waste of time.
    Maybe you're right. I don't have 2 hours to watch it, but have some awareness of the topic, and made an assumption. Can someone give a synopsis? Has anyone watched the 2 hours?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Without your faith would you treat your fellow man differently?

If not, I see both thought experiments as equal to each other
    Yes, I would certainly treat my fellow man differently if not for my Faith. That's not to say I'm perfect, or perfectly practice my Faith.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Yes, I would certainly treat my fellow man differently if not for my Faith. That's not to say I'm perfect, or perfectly practice my Faith.
    I just don't understand this line of thinking. Fear of an almighty power is what dictates how you treat people? On one hand religious people claim god gave us free will then claim the only reason we have morals is because of a fear/belief in god. Maybe I just choose through my own free will to treat people right.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I just don't understand this line of thinking. Fear of an almighty power is what dictates how you treat people? On one hand religious people claim god gave us free will then claim the only reason we have morals is because of a fear/belief in god. Maybe I just choose through my own free will to treat people right.
    I didn't say Fear was the motivating factor.

For myself, I would argue that morality is instilled in us by our Creator. It is a different perspective than what you intimate here.

Kudos to you for treating people right.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I base my sense of justice on what Batman would do in any given situation. As long as no one murders my family, I should be good to go.

9. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Maybe you're right. I don't have 2 hours to watch it, but have some awareness of the topic, and made an assumption. Can someone give a synopsis? Has anyone watched the 2 hours?
    I haven't watched the video and possess only a cursory level understanding of the topic - but when I heard Elon Musk explaining it in a recent interview and why the theory has some merit, my thought was, "Hmm, this seems like as good a theory as any that we have on our existence."

I think you can get that full interview with him at Recode. - http://www.recode.net/2016/6/6/11840...ull-video-code

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Where is there a good place to lodge a complaint about being asked to watch 2 hour videos, or hour and a half long podcasts.

Damn.

13. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Where is there a good place to lodge a complaint about being asked to watch 2 hour videos, or hour and a half long podcasts.

Damn.
    I'm not sure - but it's definitely not this thread.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd pull out the time stamp where he addresses this - it's only like 5-10 minutes of the overall interview, but it's been weeks since I watched it and can't really remember which part.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Damn.
    I'm lucky enough to live in a state where I can purchase things that make me WANT to watch a 2 hour video on whether or not we are living in The Matrix.

Seriously though, stuff like this is usually what I put on while I'm at work and just listen to. Makes the day go by quick and makes you think! I only recently started getting into podcasts, there are some great ones out there that people put a lot of time into.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Isn't this what you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Isn't this what you do?
    Well yes - and I was roundly criticized by the likes of Dread and NTL for being an anti-intellectual dumbass. Which I don't necessarily dispute - but it appears as though he did the same thing here...

To his credit - he then expressed open mindedness when called on it, whereas I just continue to be a closed minded *******. So once again, NTL wins in the humanity dept.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/s...sion/97249856/

Talk about a reality check: The entire universe could be a "vast and complex hologram," scientists reported Monday. Also, even more unsettling, what we think of as reality may be just an illusion.

"Imagine that everything you see, feel and hear in three dimensions (and your perception of time) in fact emanates from a flat two-dimensional field," said study co-author Kostas Skenderis of the U.K.'s University of Southampton.

"The idea is similar to that of ordinary holograms where a three-dimensional image is encoded in a two-dimensional surface, such as in the hologram on a credit card," Skenderis said. "However, this time, the entire universe is encoded."

A sketch of the timeline of the holographic universe. Time runs from left to right. The far left denotes the holographic phase and the image is blurry because space and time are not yet well defined. At the end of this phase (denoted by the black fluctuating ellipse) the universe enters a geometric phase, which can now be described by Einstein's equations. The cosmic microwave background was emitted about 375,000 years later. Patterns imprinted in it carry information about the very early universe and seed the development of structures of stars and galaxies in the late time universe (far right). (Photo: Paul McFadden)

It's similar to watching a 3-D movie in a cinema, according to the study. While we see the pictures as having height, width and depth, they in fact all originate from a flat two-dimensional screen.

The study authors say they found the evidence for a holographic universe by studying the "afterglow" of the Big Bang with powerful new telescopes.

The telescopes detected a vast amount of data hidden in the "white noise" or microwaves left over from the moment the universe was created. Theoretical physicists and astrophysicists first identified the concept of a holographic universe in the 1990s, and this discovery is the best evidence yet for that theory.

The odd theory is equally likely to other, more traditional hypotheses about what makes up the universe, the scientists say, adding that it may further explain Einstein's theory of gravity and also quantum theory.

The study appeared in the journal Physical Review Letters and was led by scientists from Canada, England and the U.S.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information