Thread: Devin Townsend/Between the Buried and Me/Fallujah 9/13/16 Fillmore Silver Spring MD

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Devin Townsend/Between the Buried and Me/Fallujah 9/13/16 Fillmore Silver Spring MD

So Missy and i celebrated our 11 years of marriage by going to Devin Townsend last night at the Fillmore. First up was Fallujah a band that i like quite a bit yet dont always listen to because i like so many different bands but they sounded good and had great energy. The singer kept trying to get the crowd to be more energetic and start moshing but that wasnt going to work because the Fillmore does not allow stage diving or moshing. But some interesting things happened later and ill get to that regarding those things.

Then it was time for Between the Buried and Me.

Ive seen BTBAM twice now and both times ive been left a bit disappointed in their live performance, at least to some degree. While i like the band a lot on record their translation to a live environment can be less satsifying. Especially in the vocal department. The singers clean vocals dont translate nearly as well live than when i listen to them on record. Musically they were very tight last night and did not stop once while they masterfully integrated and merged from song to song. Unlike the first time i saw them at least this time it was easier to disintinguish the differences between the songs they were playing.

Finally it was time for Devin Townsend.

No stage theatrics last night when preparing to see my alltime favorite artist. And as expected there was no SYL songs to be played...kind of. Devin concentrated a lot on material from the new record playing some favorites in mine from the new record with Transcendence, Storm Bending, and ending with Higher. Also played Rejoice, Kingdom, Truth, and some selected tracks from the Ziltoid Saga like By Your Command. Weirdly enough there were people actually "moshing" and crowd surfing (the best way they can at a DT show) and yet they did not get thrown out. The Fillmore is generally pretty strict regarding those rules so i dont know if they have them in place to try and persuade the attendance from doing those things or they just felt like the crowd was not bad enough to warrant kicking them out for doing it. Either way the crowd really loved it and responded well to the show. Before the show Missy and i discovered something that we had not known previously at being at the Fillmore and that was the general audience can go upstairs to view the bands. I had always thought that was a strictly VIP section and while there are some segregated seats there is a standing location behind there for just anybody. Thats where Missy and i found ourselves before Devin kicked off and we had a great view of the set.

The second to last song for Devin found him picking up the electic acoustic guitar and playing a collage of tunes including "Detox" which came off more hilarious than angry as the original song intended. This was further backed up by Devin's verbal statements while playing. He just said he is not angry anymore and thus SYL is a thing of the past. So for those who love the SYL work like i do dont count on any reunion anytime soon. Never the less he had a lot of fun doing the little collage and of course threw out his jokes and sense of humor throughout the show per usual. All in all a great show.

We got a cool Transcendence flag but i dont have it pictured here but i did also pick up the new cd and some geetar picks.

Filmore here in CO?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Filmore here in CO?
    Nah, Silver Spring Md.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information