Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapoport: Broncos looked into trading for Case Keenum

Default Rapoport: Broncos looked into trading for Case Keenum

I didn't see this anywhere else and it was kind of lost in the game stuff going on yesterday, but I thought this was interesting. Broncos did their diligence but it sounds like the Rams were asking for way too much:

Denver kept tabs on Keenum during the preseason, going as far as to conduct trade talks with the Los Angeles Rams, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the discussions.

The Rams would have required a "huge pick or player compensation" to move their Week 1 starter, Rapoport added, but the Broncos never offered a high enough draft pick or a talented cornerback such as Aqib Talib or Bradley Roby.

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has a familiarity with Keenum going back to their days with the Houston Texans, when the former University of Houston standout started eight games over Matt Schaub during the 2013 season.

Once Siemian showed enough in training camp and preseason action to instill confidence in Denver's coaching staff, though, the Broncos pulled the plug on trade talks.
    I'm not sure if they were specifically looking for Talib or Roby, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. The Vikings traded a first rounder for Bradford, but there was no way Elway was going to trade a high pick or great player for Keenum. As usual, they believed in the guys they had, and that's why Siemian was out there last night.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...rade-in-august

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Glad they didn't make that move. You need 3 good corners in today's NFL.

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I think Siemian and Keenum are very similar in terms of ability, both roughly the same size and accurate throwers. Keenum just has more experience. I'm glad they chose to roll with Trevor.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

It also indicates that they never had a lot of confidence in Sanchize.

The fact that any team thinks they should be able to leverage a lot out of a player like Keenum is sad. QB's literally mean so much in today's NFL. Blargh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I think Siemian and Keenum are very similar in terms of ability, both roughly the same size and accurate throwers. Keenum just has more experience. I'm glad they chose to roll with Trevor.
    No kidding. They really couldn't have been to serious moving Keenum if they were expecitng a high draft pick or an impact player.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    The fact that any team thinks they should be able to leverage a lot out of a player like Keenum is sad. QB's literally mean so much in today's NFL. Blargh.
    Either they weren't really interested dealing Keenum or they're delusional about what a journeyman quarterback is worth.

12. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Trading anything of value for Keenum would have been a huge mistake. The Vikings trade for Bradford is one of the worst trades in the NFL in a long, long time. Maybe one of the worst ever. 1st and 4th round picks for one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Trading anything of value for Keenum would have been a huge mistake. The Vikings trade for Bradford is one of the worst trades in the NFL in a long, long time. Maybe one of the worst ever. 1st and 4th round picks for one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL.
    That fourth can be as high as a second depending.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Keemun is a scrub, this news is unnerving. No more former Kubiak pets (unless it's Eug Monroe), the Broncos still have dead money from Shelley Smith.

Shelley. Smith.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Since I'm also a fan of several lesser teams, I watched them Keenums rookie year and remember some commentator saying early in the season that Kubiak saw a lot of his play since it was just down the street, really liked him and wanted to draft him in the 7th round, but couldn't get the GM/owner to agree, so wound up not-so-casually "watching casually" in hopes everyone else would pass on Keenum so Kubiak could sign him as an UDFA: When they did, HE did, immediately.

In my mind, that, combined with drafting Yates way down in the 5th the previous year, confirmed what I'd long suspected: Riding Schaub to the bitter end wasn't Kubiaks idea, but one or both of his bosses' idea. So guess when Schaub went down in flames, who else got "fired" along with him?

Regardless, if Kubiak was that high on Keenum as a rookie UDFA, it's pretty much a given that he's FAR more impressed with Keenum earning an NFL starting job. As things have gone, I think (at least until there's evidence otherwise) we'd be better off even if the Rams weren't dramatically overvaluing a guy even THEY want to replace (what is it with teams thinking even backup "starting" QBs are gold plated; first Kaep, now KEENUM?!)

Frankly, that Yates and Keenum continued to be in ever more demand even as Schaub dropped off the face of the Earth just underscores my opinion of Houstons real QB problem. Conversely, it reassures me that OUR future QB depth chart is in very capable hands (even if it strongly suggests Houston's screwed WHOEVER the coach is; it's not like ANY of their QBs have exactly "improved" in the two years since they scapegoated Kubiak for their own obstinance, but my second-favorite teams loss is my favorite teams gain.)

So I'd trust Kubiaks assessment of Keenum (it's certainly interesting that Kubiak chose Davis even though Yates remains available) but am glad we didn't pay a kings ransom for a guy we'd be lucky to get as much out of as Siemian, on whom I also trust Kubiaks assessment.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

That's it, when Kubiak pounds the table for a player that player should immediately be removed from the big board.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

18. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    That fourth can be as high as a second depending.
    The Vikings have to either go to or win the Super Bowl for the 4th to become a 2nd. So if that happens, then the trade will have been well worth it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    That's it, when Kubiak pounds the table for a player that player should immediately be removed from the big board.
    He pounded the table for TD
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

21. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Jaded, are you opted in to the lounge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information