Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What the Heck Does NBC Do With Mike Tirico Now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default What the Heck Does NBC Do With Mike Tirico Now?

Over this past weekend, news emerged that the NFL put the kibosh on Mike Tirico’s calling Thursday night games for NBC. This was the primary job, for now, that the network lured him away from ESPN on a big money deal to do. The story was stupefying at the break, but even more so when the league released this statement on the record.
    rest - plus nfl statement - http://thebiglead.com/2016/08/24/wha...ke-tirico-now/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Tirico and Tim Howard would be great on EPL games, but obviously Howard is still playing. The NFL saying no to Tirico is just dumb NFL ego shit. Let him do the games.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I think the boys at the NFL just get bored once in a while and just want to bully someone for a while. They're done with Brady so they had to kick some sand in the face of NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Looks to me like NBC promised a particular team via contract with the NFL, and now they're trying to change/amend that contract.

Who's wrong again? Last time I checked, you can't just arbitrarily change a contract unless all parties agree.

From the article:

How NBC (and Tirico’s agent Sandy Montag) didn’t dot their i’s and cross their t’s on this boggles the mind. They really made this splashy hire without first clearing it through the highest channels? They just assumed the NFL would accept something that was different from their bid?

I get that Joe, but Tirico was there last season. You probably didn't notice because nobody watches Thursday Night Football

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

from another article:

But a deal's a deal.

To win the bidding for half of the 10-game broadcast "TNF" package, NBC promised the league it would throw its first-string "SNF" announce team of Michaels, Cris Collinsworth and Michele Tafoya at the games.

The NBC bosses, as well as Michaels and Collinsworth, knew and accepted this arrangement. Up front. They knew the Michaels-Collinsworth tandem would have to call five "TNF" games on top of their normal "SNF" schedule in 2016-2017.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...n1cna4igjnbpko

If Thursday night football was a major reason Tirico left ESPN to join NBC, can he now come back on NBC?
    Last edited by Denver Native (Carol); 08-26-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Why wouldn't they want Tirico calling games? He's one of the best in the business.

9. The Following 7 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Why wouldn't they want Tirico calling games? He's one of the best in the business.
    I'm sure DISNEY/ABC/ESPN had a little input/complaining going on.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

sounds like it may be time to put him out to pasture. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Al Michaels is 71. Did *he* agree to work two nights a week? What if he puts his foot down and says he's not working TNF - what exactly can the NFL do about that? I doubt NBC amended Michael's contract for the heavier work load.

Seems to me Michaels can refuse to work the games which opens the door for Tirico to do them. Problem solved.

Unless, of course, the NFL wants to be a dick about it which is certainly not beneath their character.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Seems to me that if the NFL contracted with NBC for Michaels to do two games a week but he refused, NBC would be in breach of contract. Unless Michaels were contractually obligated to do as many NFL games as NBC asks, in which case I'd think HE'D be in breach of contract. Either way, if the NFL quoted NBC a price based on a legal agreement they'd get the first team for TNF games, then NBC reneged on that part—regardless of cause—that's not the NFLs fault.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Seems to me that if the NFL contracted with NBC for Michaels to do two games a week but he refused, NBC would be in breach of contract. Unless Michaels were contractually obligated to do as many NFL games as NBC asks, in which case I'd think HE'D be in breach of contract. Either way, if the NFL quoted NBC a price based on a legal agreement they'd get the first team for TNF games, then NBC reneged on that part—regardless of cause—that's not the NFLs fault.
    It sure is a dumb thing to get huffy about, though. It's not like they hired Skip Bayless and tried to pull a switcharoo. They hired a longtime, well-respected announcer with extensive NFL experience and thought there'd be no problem assigning him to Thursday Night Football when a 71-year-old didn't want to work two games a week. It's just another dumb NFL thing, in my opinion.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    It sure is a dumb thing to get huffy about, though. It's not like they hired Skip Bayless and tried to pull a switcharoo. They hired a longtime, well-respected announcer with extensive NFL experience and thought there'd be no problem assigning him to Thursday Night Football when a 71-year-old didn't want to work two games a week. It's just another dumb NFL thing, in my opinion.
    Fair points. The NFL's all about market leveraging to the hilt so the owners squeeze every last cent out of what's already (by far) the worlds most profitable sport though. In terms of branding and celebrity, few sports commentators match Michaels' stature (e.g. since I haven't had (US) cable in 20 years, and only briefly then, I'd never heard of Tirico before this thread, and still wouldn't recognize him if I met him on the street tomorrow.)

"Just another dumb NFL thing" covers all of that pretty well, yeah. It's like they've never heard the story about killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The NFL can add viewers to their Thursday night package in other ways. Why not have O.J. Simpson provide commentary from his jail cell? In fact, they can do a whole series on incarcerated ex-NFL players. O.J. does the Bills game. Rae Carruth does the Carolina game. Aaron Hernandez does the Patriots game. Darren Sharper does the Packers game. Ray Lewis does the...well, wait RayRay got off.

BTW, the NFL can enhance ratings for Thursday night if they didn't give us the Bucs vs the Saints or the Jags versus the Titans. Just a thought.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    The NFL can add viewers to their Thursday night package in other ways. Why not have O.J. Simpson provide commentary from his jail cell? In fact, they can do a whole series on incarcerated ex-NFL players. O.J. does the Bills game. Rae Carruth does the Carolina game. Aaron Hernandez does the Patriots game. Darren Sharper does the Packers game. Ray Lewis does the...well, wait RayRay got off.

BTW, the NFL can enhance ratings for Thursday night if they didn't give us the Bucs vs the Saints or the Jags versus the Titans. Just a thought.
    The fact they've spent several years shopping their formerly "exclusive NFLN broadcast" to competing networks shows just what a boondoggle it is. I'd rather watch my local JHS team play Thursdays than the Bucs vs. the Saints; more interesting game, and I'd be more heavily invested (especially if I had a kid playing.)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information