Thread: Getting Autistics Jobs and Off Public Assistance

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default Getting Autistics Jobs and Off Public Assistance

I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Due to the amount of dialog between me and the audience, I was barely able to touch on the problems of Voc Rehab when it comes to helping higher functioning Autistics/Aspies get jobs. Therefore, contrary to what I say in the video, next month will be the in depth analysis of this US government program and what needs to be done to create a program that will work better for us.

This video references both of the following documents. I recommend that you download both so you can see for yourself that my commentary on both of them is accurate.

2008 JAN (Job Accommodation Network: Accommodation and Compliance Series: Asperger’s Syndrome [Based on the DSM 4]):
    https://autismambassadorscorps.files...4/jan-2008.pdf

2013 JAN (Job Accommodation Network: Accommodation and Compliance Series: Autism Spectrum Disorder [Based on the DSM 5]):
    https://autismambassadorscorps.files...4/jan-2013.pdf

Last edited by FanInAZ; 08-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

With this being my 1st time doing a full length teaching on the subject of why Autistics/Aspies struggle so much in the area of employment, and what can be done about it, I’ll admit that I got side tracked with several of the subtopic. That, and the fact that a lot of audience members really needed to vent their frustration at the inept system that’s supposed to be helping us, meant that we did get side tracked a few times. That said, I’m very happy this the information contained in this video.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Thanks to the information in this 4th part of this series of videos, I have been able to devise 2 plausible courses of action to regain my financial independence. Unfortunately, 1 has already struck out and the other has suffered a major setback. However, I believe that the 2nd course of action can still come to fruition. I need to do a risk/reward assessment with those who I trust to give me wise council before I officially announce anything on line.

Nevertheless, this illustrates the value of us Autistics/Aspies sitting down for an exchange of knowledge and experiences. Although my fist course of action I devised on my own as I was contemplating the content of my outline, the 2nd course of action came to me as a direct result of information that 1 of the group members shared. This validates me pushing to get Autistics/Aspies together to have discussions like we are having in this series.

I'm proud of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

8. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

How do you feel about having non aspie professionals advocate for

A) you
    B) other aspies with a different range of social, emotional or cognitive challenges in comparison to others without autism

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

A) you
    B) other aspies with a different range of social, emotional or cognitive challenges in comparison to others without autism
    I’ve made repeated references to a general purpose 12 program that I attended for co-dependency, off and on from the mid 80’s through the 90’s, that was instrumental in the development of my social skills. Out of the dozens of individuals that spoke into my life during those meetings, I can only think of 2 that I now think may be undiagnosed Autistics/Aspies. However, I have no reason to suspect Mamma Betty and Papa Joe (who took over as directors of the group shortly before I started attending) were Autistics/Aspies. I’ve also got wise insights on social issues from various religious leaders, both cleric and laymen alike, most of whom are definitely not Autistic/Aspie.

The professionals that I have issues with are the ones who think that their non-Autistic point-of-view, which is the point-of-view of the textbooks and “Autism/Asperger’s experts who teach the teachers,” is the only point-of-view that they need. When we object to some of their assessment of theirs that we believe to be less than 100% accurate, they blow us off like we’re a bunch of mentally ill schizophrenics with a delusional perception of reality. They can say all they want that they acknowledge that Autism isn’t a “mental illness,” but this claim of “understanding” means nothing to me if they treat us like we are whenever we object to what they are saying about us.

Dr. Woodruff, who is definitely a non-Autistic/Aspie, has been instrumental in helping me understand the neuro-science of Autism. He works with us in the exact opposite manner as the professional mentioned above, bring a note pad (now IPad) with him to our meetings so he make notes on all of the information that we share with each other that he finds particularly insightful. This is why he’s one of a handful of non-Autistic/Aspies that I hold in high regard.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

A) you
    Oops, miss read your post. I thought you were asking about them advising us on social skills issues. Nevertheless, you can still derive the answers to your actual questiion from my previous responce

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Just completed Part 2 (which I placed in the spot I reserved between Parts 1 & 3), which I had skipped over because many in our group was only interested in what's in Parts 3 & 4

#stylegod
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I spent more time during last month’s presentation talking about “the JAN” then I intended. Because of this, I barely touch on my assessment of Voc-Rehab. So this month, I focused almost solely on that. However, I realized that I still left out a few points, so I attached an almost 10 minute amendment that I recorded early this afternoon to the presentation video. In order to keep the videos in the correct order, I "edited" post 2 by putting the Part 2.1 there right after Part 2.

After I finished & was getting ready to leave to the public library so I could use their super high speed internet to up load the video, I realized that there was still a couple of points that I intend to bring up. However, I restrained my perfectionistic tendencies by realizing that these points would only further reinforced (or should I say dog piling on top of) points that I’d already made.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information