Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2cents on the QB competition.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Osweiler doesn't start if Manning is healthy. Even so Kubiak maintained that Manning would start when he was healthy.

If Denver is in dog fight for the division I don't see how Lynch will go on the field barring injury or poor play by whomever is the starter at the time.

I remember when Marino became the startering quarterback. He became the starter because David Woodley was terrible.
    And Sanchez could be terrible but still win because our defense is so good.. just like the Woodley/Strock Dolphins went to a Super Bowl the year before.

It's a long season and there will probably be blowouts in one direction or the other - chances to get Lynch some experience and give the coaches a chance to see how ready/not ready he is to take over. If they believe Lynch gives them a better chance to win than Sanchez, the move might be made despite how the division title stacks up.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    And Sanchez could be terrible but still win because our defense is so good.. just like the Woodley/Strock Dolphins went to a Super Bowl the year before.

It's a long season and there will probably be blowouts in one direction or the other - chances to get Lynch some experience and give the coaches a chance to see how ready/not ready he is to take over. If they believe Lynch gives them a better chance to win than Sanchez, the move might be made despite how the division title stacks up.
    I basically said the same thing. If the team is winning but Sanchez or Siemian is playing terribly then I could see Lynch replacing one of them if he is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    I can see that.

For me though, out of the three, Lynch passes the eye test best. I just saw the ball coming out on time and quickly. He showed confidence. He moved well......very well.

The guy is fast too.

I just loved what I saw considering everything.

Sanchez passed the eye test too.........until the int. sigh
    I like Lynch I see a lot of promise with him. But I think in that game he was set up to look good. 3rd string defense, simple game plan, No high pressure passes into coverage. Hell they were not even trying to convert 3rd downs while he was in. They set the plan up to build his confidence passing the ball and it looked great. I'm not so sure it would if they were trying for 3rd downs, If they did put him in situations to throw for the 1st down under pressure.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    I like Lynch I see a lot of promise with him. But I think in that game he was set up to look good. 3rd string defense, simple game plan, No high pressure passes into coverage. Hell they were not even trying to convert 3rd downs while he was in. They set the plan up to build his confidence passing the ball and it looked great. I'm not so sure it would if they were trying for 3rd downs, If they did put him in situations to throw for the 1st down under pressure.
    If it was 3rd and long Kubiak was more interested in eating up the clock. I don't remember what Lynch's 3rd down situations were like I can't remember if had many were there was a high proability making them.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I can recall plenty of game situations when he was in Houston where Kubiak called for a third-down pass in front of the sticks and expected the receiver to pick up the yardage for the first down so whether Lynch threw far enough for a first down or not can't be documented without knowing what Kubiak or Dennison called on the play. Lynch and his receiver may have been executing the play as called and still been short of the first down.

7. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I can recall plenty of game situations when he was in Houston where Kubiak called for a third-down pass in front of the sticks and expected the receiver to pick up the yardage for the first down so whether Lynch threw far enough for a first down or not can't be documented without knowing what Kubiak or Dennison called on the play. Lynch and his receiver may have been executing the play as called and still been short of the first down.
    We'll probably never know but imo I think Kubiak wanted him run the plays and not worry down and distance.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

One game?

And so it begins.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Last year the plan was "Peyton is our starter unless he's injured but eventually we want to give our QOTF (Osweiler) sufficient playing time to determine if he's our starter in 2016."

This year the plan is "Sanchez is our starter unless he's injured but eventually we want to give our QOTF (Lynch) sufficient playing time to make him our starter in 2017."
    HUGE difference. Sanchez is no first ballot HoFer, and Lynch hasn't been pacing the sideline for three years listening to Elway say, "Wait till next year, kid...." No one's guaranteeing Lynch $37M next year even if he never plays a down THIS year. That said, if Sanchez plays like... Sanchez, I hope Elway and Kubiak can resist the urge to try for a meaningless one-and-done playoff berth at the expense of the franchise QBs long term development (and possibly health.)

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    No team is going to make decisions based on the pissy attitude of know-it-all fans or the national media. Quite honestly you don't what line will be like this year. I understand you think you know it all better than Elway and Kubiak but quite honestly you don't.

What I had to say to Hoof didn't have anything to do with offensive line. You never get it. This team is very good I know it bugs the shit out you but facts are facts Denver is good enough to win with a rookie quarterback at the helm if need be. If Denver run the consistently which I expect they will then there is no reason Lynch couldn't handle the job.
    Right: I don't know better than Elway, you just know better than Schlereth. If we can't BLOCK we can't run any more consistently than we can pass, and our RBs will get beat to Hell fighting to turn -2 into +2 every down (ask CJ about that, or Moreno, or McGahee.)

Quite honestly, NO ONE knows what the line will be like this year, if only because no one knows who HALF THE STARTERS will be. I never said it will be good OR bad (though it's track record and recurring uncertainty aren't auspicious.) What I said was that IF we're flailing halfway through the season it'll be because we once again can't run block OR pass block, so throwing even the most talented raw rookie QB into that mess would be setting him up to fail, not just now, but long term.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    HUGE difference. Sanchez is no first ballot HoFer, and Lynch hasn't been pacing the sideline for three years listening to Elway say, "Wait till next year, kid...." No one's guaranteeing Lynch $37M next year even if he never plays a down THIS year. That said, if Sanchez plays like... Sanchez, I hope Elway and Kubiak can resist the urge to try for a meaningless one-and-done playoff berth at the expense of the franchise QBs long term development (and possibly health.)

Right: I don't know better than Elway, you just know better than Schlereth. If we can't BLOCK we can't run any more consistently than we can pass, and our RBs will get beat to Hell fighting to turn -2 into +2 every down (ask CJ about that, or Moreno, or McGahee.)

Quite honestly, NO ONE knows what the line will be like this year, if only because no one knows who HALF THE STARTERS will be. I never said it will be good OR bad (though it's track record and recurring uncertainty aren't auspicious.) What I said was that IF we're flailing halfway through the season it'll be because we once again can't run block OR pass block, so throwing even the most talented raw rookie QB into that mess would be setting him up to fail, not just now, but long term.
    Until last season run blocking hasn't been a problem. You do think you know it all. McGahee, Moreno, and Anderson all average over 4 yards per carry. Even with as bad line was last season "mr I know better than every else in freaking world" Anderson and Hillman still averaged well over 4 yards per carry, behind.

Please don't give garbage ass line that you haven't said line will be good or bad. You have done NOTHING but squeal like stuck pig since you arrived here because you know better than everyone what's going on. You have infered all off season that the offensive will be bad.

Jeez it is being acted on like Elway has done NOTHING to try and address the line.

I thought he brought in 2 OT's and drafted a developmental BIG guard this year?

Last year he drafted a guy in the second round.

Shit happens, I don't think he can be blamed last year that his starting LT got hurt in training camp and then the guy he drafted to be the RT also got hurt for the season, forcing us to go with a journeyman tackle and a guy who shouldn't be starting any where in the league at tackle.

Can't really judge this years line yet either as the line hasn't all played yet, our putrid RT from last year started LT this past game while the real starters get healthy. How can you judge ANYTHING on that?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Lynch either has it or he doesn't. If he's the most talented QB I would start him. I don't buy the reasoning that starting as a rookie will stunt his development.

15. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I think QBs need to get acclimated to the speed of the pro game and the truth that outrunning tacklers is far more difficult for most in the NFL than it was in college. Don't try to be the hero every play but focus on playing for the next play and limit mistakes. I already felt Manziel would be a hard fit in the NFL even if he'd been a straight arrow. His game was too built on ad-libbing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Lynch either has it or he doesn't. If he's the most talented QB I would start him. I don't buy the reasoning that starting as a rookie will stunt his development.
    I fully agree.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Play Sanchez for now. Maybe they'll see something different in camp, but I really see no reason to not enter the first game with Sanchez at the helm.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Schlereth has talked about how much better the OL looks to him.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

21. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information