Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow to pursue a career in professional baseball

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    some players actually hit better against better pitching. Sorry, only positive thing I could think of.
    Even the GM was basically struggling to justify it.

Basically he was like "well, ya, his average sucks, but there were great signs of improvement that we felt warranted the promotion"

It was a very "I got nothing..." answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Bo and Deion are two of the most freakishly gifted athletes of all time. They could have killed it in any sport.
    So was Michael Jordan, but he couldn't make baseball stick as a career

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Honestly, the fact that he is even hitting .222 having not played baseball in over a decade against guys who actually are pro baseball players is really freaking impressive. Obviously he won't get to the majors on that, but I'd be willing to bet that most people (Mo included), didn't think he'd hit over .220 in the minors.
    I thought he'd hit about .200. Tebow isn't joe schmo, he's a good athlete who clearly has some top-level hand-eye coordination.

But I think it's sad what they're going to do to one of their starting High A outfielders, all of whom have a better batting profile than Tebow. Now one is going to get benched.

Wiulmer Becerra clearly isn't going to get benched. He's a top 15 prospect in the organization and on the 40-man roster. Enmanuel Zabrera is St. Lucie's centerfielder. That leaves John Mora, a .266/.326/.365 hitter with speed to get benched.

And Jeff Diehl, the regular starting right fielder hitting .280/.376/.430, a legitimate corner outfield hitting profile, is on the 7-day DL (usually indicates concussion). What happens when he comes back? Does he get benched too?

A Baseball America writer said Tebow had 7 errors on 58 chances in the outfield. That's bad. If you calculated that just as fielding percentage (which isn't how you calculate that, but hang with me for a second because minor league fielding stats are hard to find), if that were his big league fielding percentage (not error percentage) it would be the 8th worst of any position player (non pitcher) in 2016 and the worst outfielder.

He didn't deserve a call up, and those two right fielders don't deserve to get benched.

Hate away.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

It's all about the Benjamins Mo. Those other guys won't put butts in the seats

6. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Good for Tim. It's all about putting butts in seats at this point, anyway. But, as MO said, he's done better than expected.

Tebow’s other statistics aren’t great, either. In 64 games, he struck out 69 times, hit three home runs, had 22 RBIs, a .311 on-base percentage, a .648 OPS, 14 doubles and a triple. He had seven errors in the outfield, too. Not exactly “this guy has conquered this level” numbers.

But those things never really mattered to the Mets. They were always going to move him along at some point this summer. As I wrote a month ago: The Mets, a franchise that is floundering at the major-league level with injuries and other assorted struggles, won’t let him spend an entire summer competing with and against kids 10 years his junior.

And though his statistics weren’t great, Tebow definitely did show a modicum of baseball talent and potential. It’s still relevant to point out that this is a guy who turns 30 in August and hadn’t played baseball competitively since he was in high school, so when the Mets talk about things like improved contact rate and exit velocity, that’s not complete nonsense. Sure, the Mets would have loved it if that batting average was in the .275 range, and it would have been great if he’d popped nine or 10 home runs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...518vq6edoo3zam
    EDIT: To be clear, I don't follow baseball, and have only a minor league (heh) understanding of the stats.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 06-26-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It's all about the Benjamins Mo. Those other guys won't put butts in the seats
    Oh, you. This couldn't possibly be about that, could it?

Speaking of attendance, their Double-A team, Binghampton, had the worst attendance in its league last season. (I'm just saying)
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Good for Tim. It's all about putting butts in seats at this point, anyway. But, as MO said, he's done better than expected.
    "Aren't great" is being kind. He's been bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    So was Michael Jordan, but he couldn't make baseball stick as a career
    In terms of pure athletic talent that transcends multiple sports, I don't think MJ stacks up to Bo or Deion. MJ obviously an amazing basketball player, but as an overall athlete, I think I'd take the other two guys.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I thought he'd hit about .200. Tebow isn't joe schmo, he's a good athlete who clearly has some top-level hand-eye coordination.

But I think it's sad what they're going to do to one of their starting High A outfielders, all of whom have a better batting profile than Tebow. Now one is going to get benched.

Wiulmer Becerra clearly isn't going to get benched. He's a top 15 prospect in the organization and on the 40-man roster. Enmanuel Zabrera is St. Lucie's centerfielder. That leaves John Mora, a .266/.326/.365 hitter with speed to get benched.

And Jeff Diehl, the regular starting right fielder hitting .280/.376/.430, a legitimate corner outfield hitting profile, is on the 7-day DL (usually indicates concussion). What happens when he comes back? Does he get benched too?

A Baseball America writer said Tebow had 7 errors on 58 chances in the outfield. That's bad. If you calculated that just as fielding percentage (which isn't how you calculate that, but hang with me for a second because minor league fielding stats are hard to find), if that were his big league fielding percentage (not error percentage) it would be the 8th worst of any position player (non pitcher) in 2016 and the worst outfielder.

He didn't deserve a call up, and those two right fielders don't deserve to get benched.

Hate away.
    I don't think anyone is saying he deserved a call up. Well maybe Shane will say that, but I don't think anyone else is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don't think anyone is saying he deserved a call up. Well maybe Shane will say that, but I don't think anyone else is.
    I didn't say anyone did, but I said he doesn't deserve it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I didn't say anyone did, but I said he doesn't deserve it.
    Well you threw the "hate away" in at the end of the post, as if you were expecting a ton of disagreement. I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with that assessment. I think we all agree that we know exactly why he's getting called up and that it sucks for whomever will lose their job.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Jesus Walked On Water; Tim Tebow Hit A Seventh-Inning Walk-Off Homer

Freshly promoted to high Class-A baseball, Tim Tebow has been hitting the ball better than ever before. In his previous stop with the low Class-A Columbia Fireflies, he hit just .220. The former QB is hitting .326 at the moment with the St. Lucie Mets, and this evening he produced his most sanctified highlight of his career when he smacked a walk-off dinger.

Last edited by ShaneFalco; 07-14-2017 at 04:35 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Btw 11 game hitting streak.

Hearing Tebow Chants again. Great Joy.

Gods gift to the world.
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 07-14-2017 at 04:35 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Jesus Walked On Water; Tim Tebow Hit A Seventh-Inning Walk-Off Homer
    I think you have that backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Wow, small sample size but I do have to admit that's impressive.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information