Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aqib Talib could be facing 8-game suspension

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Default Aqib Talib could be facing 8-game suspension

Bradley Roby, starting cornerback for the Denver Broncos. NFL fans should get used to hearing that, because it may soon become a reality.

Aqib Talib, the cornerback above Roby on Denver’s depth chart, could face a suspension of eight games or more, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said on 104.3 The Fan on Monday afternoon.

“.@AdamSchefter tells us a knowledgable party said to him: ‘I don’t see how this is less than 8 games,’ regarding Talib suspension,” The Fan said in a tweet that has since been deleted (the text can still be read here).

Talib was shot in his right leg at (or near) a Dallas nightclub on June 10. After the shooting, Talib told police he was too intoxicated to remember who shot him. He also told friends close to him that he accidentally shot himself. Those two stories obviously do not match up, so a media member asked Talib directly if he shot himself after practice Monday.

“The situation is still under review and we have to respect that process,” Talib said. “I’m not going to talk about that right now, but I feel great. I did some one-on-ones today. I felt pretty good on the field.”

If Talib shot himself at a nightclub while intoxicated, Texas law states that he could face up to ten years in prison. But if no weapon is found and the shooter remains unknown, there may be no evidence for police to use against Talib.

Even if Talib avoids legal trouble, he could still face discipline from the NFL for “conduct detrimental” to the league. NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy told Broncos Wire in a July email that Talib’s situation “remains under review.”

If the league does suspend Talib, it could be for eight games or more, per Schefter. Roby and Chris Harris Jr. would start in his absence.
    http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...-be-suspended/

What law did Talib break?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Shooting Under The Influence

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Depends. Possibly none. Possibly carrying a weapon into a place of business that serves alcohol, possibly negligent discharge, firing a gun in city limits, obstruction.

Bottom line, until police say he broke a law there's no PROOF be did, just suspicion.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

what? they're going to give him eight games for getting shot? slow your roll there shefty, i don't think so! unless the dallas police charge him with something, he's getting nothing. . . at the very least, any halfway competent lawyer should be able to drag it out until next year, and that may be all we need from him. . . roby's a stud, webster's very talented, and i'm hearing good things about doss and nixon from camp. . . if we can get one more good year out of aqib, it may be enough. . .

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Bronco notes: Talib returns but shooting investigation still pending

ENGLEWOOD—With his return to practice Monday, Aqib Talib is likely to be physically recovered from gunshot wounds to his right leg in time to play cornerback for the Denver Broncos in their regular-season opener against Carolina.

If only Talib’s physical recovery were the end of his gunshot saga.

The Dallas police confirmed Monday it is still investigating the shooting incident that occurred June 5 either at, or near, a Dallas nightclub, and left Talib with gunshot wounds to the rear of his upper right leg and right calf.

The NFL is also conducting its own investigation. There is a possibility Talib could be facing discipline if the league -- more specifically, commissioner Roger Goodell -- finds he violated its personal conduct policy. The Broncos are hopeful Talib will not be suspended.
    rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denv...ding/290987951

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

If we've learned anything in recent years, it's that Goodell will suspend regardless of where things are in the legal process, so I wouldn't assume he's out of the woods just because he hasn't been charged. The Brady case has now set the precedent that the NFL can more or less suspend for whatever they want, whenever they want.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

If there is no proof Talib shot himself I don't see how the league could discipline him.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    If there is no proof Talib shot himself I don't see how the league could discipline him.
    They still have that power; but what I expect to happen is that he appeals it and gets to play during that process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

They still have that power; but what I expect to happen is that he appeals it and gets to play during that process.
    they have the power to try, certainly. . . personally, i just can't see how a suspension would hold up to an appeal-- not unless SOME type of evidence comes to light, because right now there is zilch. . . brady isn't an accurate comparison-- he actively destroyed evidence and refused to cooperate. . .

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

It seems to me that Goodell is hardest on those that are either not contrite serial offenders.

Adopted Bronco:
    Greg Dulcich

Talib is certainly not the brightest bulb in the box, but unless there's a lot more information that hasn't been shared with the public, I feel like any suspension would be based almost entirely on speculation. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. ---- Pope John Paul II

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Lately NFL has waiting until the legal stuff finishes before they concider a suspension even if they investigate it now.

19. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I actually take Goodell's side in most of these, people seem to forget how out of control players were under Tagliabue, with minimal consequences.

I love Talib, my favorite player, I'ma hate it if he's suspended
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

I've believed from the beginning he shot himself. Nevertheless I don't see how the league could suspend a potential "victim" if there's no proof he shot himself or had a gun that night. It would be a black eye for the league.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information