Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC & Marvel Universes and All Things Involved

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Im high jacking Shake's thread again but i want Marvel to make a movie specific to Winter Soldier since he is my favorite character. What do you think Shaker?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Im high jacking Shake's thread again but i want Marvel to make a movie specific to Winter Soldier since he is my favorite character. What do you think Shaker?
    That movie would make $20 from you seeing it twice.

Seriously though who knows? I never thought I'd see standalone Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Black Panther flicks.

3. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Winter Soldier might be a bit more difficult unless they did some storyline post villain career. But even if they went with his darker back story that would be a lot of fun for me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Really good video essay on what the DCEU does right that Marvel has been struggling with for a while now, and that is sincerity. For all the flaws of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, they were trying to un-ironically deconstruct the Superman and Superhero mythos and they never allowed for strange tonal shifts like we see in movies like Doctor Strange and Civil War. While I am always entertained by Marvel flicks, they never take themselves seriously enough for me to invest in them fully like I do the DC movies. Here is a good video on that very subject and how Wonder Woman was the first movie to embrace itself in the genre in a long while:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

While i have yet to see WW and agree with you that DC tries to bring a more "Watchmen" approach to it i still think they miss the mark a lot. Its one thing to try and bring that approach but its a totally different monster when executing it which is why i was so disappointed with SS and BvS. Meanwhile, despite some of their own flaws i find myself loving the Marvel stuff far more and think they did a good job of building some tension with Civil War personally. The only real problem for Marvel at his point (in my opinion) is there is just too much of it. I know there are some big fans of the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones stuff but i just found myself tuning out of those series because its just a bit overwhelming. I still have a good interest in Daredevil though so thats a plus. But for me its no good to try and create a certain feeling or atmosphere only to miss the mark. So while the writing is important so is the execution. But to be honest, comedic moments thrown in action films doesnt really disappoint me as apparently it does the guy who did the video. But apparently he never grew up watching Arnie films and some of those plots were "supposed" to be pretty serious. I dont know, to me DC still has a long way to go to really overtake Marvel at least in terms of execution and i think the current reviews are a reflection of that. People dont mind serious movies but they also like having fun with them and thats what Marvel excells at.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

While i have yet to see WW and agree with you that DC tries to bring a more "Watchmen" approach to it i still think they miss the mark a lot. Its one thing to try and bring that approach but its a totally different monster when executing it which is why i was so disappointed with SS and BvS. Meanwhile, despite some of their own flaws i find myself loving the Marvel stuff far more and think they did a good job of building some tension with Civil War personally. The only real problem for Marvel at his point (in my opinion) is there is just too much of it. I know there are some big fans of the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones stuff but i just found myself tuning out of those series because its just a bit overwhelming. I still have a good interest in Daredevil though so thats a plus. But for me its no good to try and create a certain feeling or atmosphere only to miss the mark. So while the writing is important so is the execution. But to be honest, comedic moments thrown in action films doesnt really disappoint me as apparently it does the guy who did the video. But apparently he never grew up watching Arnie films and some of those plots were "supposed" to be pretty serious. I dont know, to me DC still has a long way to go to really overtake Marvel at least in terms of execution and i think the current reviews are a reflection of that. People dont mind serious movies but they also like having fun with them and thats what Marvel excells at.
    I'm not saying DC is nearly the entertainment level of Marvel who has perfected the formula and stuck with it, but just pointing out that at least DC is trying something new. I enjoy both universes but people often ask me why I like the newer slate of DC films (aside from Suicide Squad which was a step sideways in my opinion) and I thought this covered it well.

My favorite movies in Marvel so far are Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier because they took risks and strayed from the Marvel "quip a minute" formula. I think that GOTG Vol. 2 and Civil War didn't take those ideas any further though and took away much of what they were building towards. Civil War could've been a game changer but the characters were the same at the beginning of the film as they were at the end and there were no real consequences unlike the comic it was based off. And you know what? That is fine because Marvel movies still kick all sorts of ass.

I'm just saying (and the video points this out) that some people actually like to see their heroes deconstructed and then built back up which I "hope" DC is trying to do going forward. Wonder Woman is the first part of their second act and Justice League is the next big test. I don't have nearly as much fun with DC movies lately as I do the Marvel ones, but the DC flicks are what I find myself going back to watch to find new things and I do each time.

This isn't a "DC RULEZ MARVEL SUX" thread, this is just me trying to explain a bit why I personally prefer one over the other while still being fans of both approaches.

EDIT: And the Marvel Series are all over the map for me. I love Daredevil but Jessica Jones and Iron Fist can't hold my attention. Luke Cage is pretty good.

9. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'm really liking The Flash so far. This looks cool.

13. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The Flash was my guy when I was a strapless young lad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

"they really just vanished, that's rude" *Vanishes*

16. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    The Flash was my guy when I was a strapless young lad.
    Obviously we know that I'm a bit of a flash fan.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Just saw a leak of the new Avengers: Infinity War teaser. Holy shit it looks great.

Just saw a leak of the new Avengers: Infinity War teaser. Holy shit it looks great.
    Yea it looks pretty darn good too.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I keep trying to track it down but they keep removing it! Heard the description though, looks good. I just don't get hiding the footage from Comic Con after the fact. I mean I get that the people in Hall H should be the first to see it after waiting in line all day but post it right after. I like how Star Wars handles it now, they just live stream the whole panel and trailer so that they control the content.

Anyway I thought the new Thor trailer looked good, too. That comes out the day after my birthday and Justice League will be a few weeks later on November 17. November and December are looking to be the new tentpole movie months between those movies and Star Wars this year.

21. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

You know, the funniest thing about Comic-Con this year, even with all of the trailers and awesome news from all these franchises, the thing I was most excited about? Duck Tales... All they had to do is mention the possibility of Darkwing Duck and I got all giddy.

All the Marvel stuff looks amazing, the DC stuff looks pretty good. It's going to be a great year for entertainment.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information