Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 11 disgusting natural ingredients in food

Beaver anal gland. Words I use in the same sentence quite often.

2. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

I'm going to die when I'm fifty. I turn 29 this year. 21 years left, bitches. #hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I dont grow pot but Ill grow the food. Heather, im sure will take care of the pot aspect. Im sure she already has.
    lol! i'm pretty sure that girl couldn't grow dirt. . .

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    lol! i'm pretty sure that girl couldn't grow dirt. . .
    Haha, dog with the epic smack.

Life expectancy for developed and undeveloped countries. These unnatural ingredients are going to be the death of us!!! Oh em gee!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20160812_210341.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	9309

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forum Runner
    Free Hotcarl!

So what we have here is a typical scare mongering technique to generate page views. It's quite effective and generates profit, but it doesn't have much scientific evidence of danger.

If you want to take this at face value and be outraged, cool. If you want to learn more, and realize the world isn't out to kill you please feel free to read a short rebuttal I've comprised, with links to more in depth articles and sources. I missed a couple but I'm tired. I can provide more tomorrow if you'd like.

Carrageenan: a natural ingredient found in seaweed. It's funny people claim it's unsafe, but the same people claim seaweed is a super food. http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/hea...an-controversy

Beaver anal glands: Getting a beaver to produce castoreum for purposes of food processing is tough. Foodies bent on acquiring some of the sticky stuff have to anesthetize the animal and then "milk" its nether regions.

"You can milk the anal glands so you can extract the fluid," [Joanne] Crawford [a wildlife ecologist at Southern Illinois University] said. "You can squirt [castoreum] out. It's pretty gross."

Due to such unpleasantness for both parties, castoreum consumption is rather small http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/castoreum.asp

Dried beetles: Today, cochineals are harvested mainly in Peru and the Canary Islands on plantations of prickly pear cacti, the bugs' preferred host. There, the insects are sun-dried, crushed, and dunked in an acidic alcohol solution to produce carminic acid, the pigment that eventually becomes carmine or cochineal extract, depending on processing. About 70,000 insects are needed to produce a pound of dye.

Cochineal may be made from bugs, but other synthetic red dyes such as Red No. 2 and Red No. 40, which carry far greater health risks, are derived from either coal or petroleum byproducts. Compared with these sources, bugs might sound positively appetizing. http://www.livescience.com/36292-red...l-carmine.html

Hydrolyzed Protein: Protein hydrolysis can be used to modify the allergenic properties of infant formula. The size of cow milk proteins in the formula and the milk becomes more suitable for consumption by babies suffering of Milk protein intolerance. http://organics.org/11-disgusting-na...-in-your-food/

Borax: It’s also known as E285. This ingredient has been banned from the U.S. and Canada, but is still present in EU.

Arsenic: The latest Thing That Is Killing Us: Arsenic in rice. The scare started from a Consumer Reports article from November 2012, which they titled “Arsenic in your food”. Following up on their equally-flawed arsenic-in-juice scare article, Consumer Reports has now investigated the arsenic content in rice and other cereals. What they found wasn’t particularly compelling, so, predictably, they gussied it up to exaggerate the impact of their article.

Chemicals are a modern boogeyman. Ew, chemicals. But arsenic is a natural element, and it’s part of the earth’s crust. We cannot ever get 100% of the arsenic out of our food. Our bodies have developed coping mechanisms for arsenic and other toxins. We do need to minimize exposures, and we need to be sensitive to industrial and farming practices that increase the toxin content of food. But it is unreasonable and silly to pretend that any exposure to “chemicals” is bad, or that exposures need to be driven to zero, no matter what the cost. http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/05/...enic-rice.html
    Free Hotcarl!

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

mac n cheese is the best. i dont care whats in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Life expectancy for developed and undeveloped countries. These unnatural ingredients are going to be the death of us!!! Oh em gee!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20160812_210341.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	9309

OMG is GMO backwards. Open your eyes.

10. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    mac n cheese is the best. i dont care whats in it.
    I like the Velveeta version.

So what we have here is a typical scare mongering technique to generate page views. It's quite effective and generates profit, but it doesn't have much scientific evidence of danger.

If you want to take this at face value and be outraged, cool. If you want to learn more, and realize the world isn't out to kill you please feel free to read a short rebuttal I've comprised, with links to more in depth articles and sources. I missed a couple but I'm tired. I can provide more tomorrow if you'd like.

Carrageenan: a natural ingredient found in seaweed. It's funny people claim it's unsafe, but the same people claim seaweed is a super food. http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/hea...an-controversy

Beaver anal glands: Getting a beaver to produce castoreum for purposes of food processing is tough. Foodies bent on acquiring some of the sticky stuff have to anesthetize the animal and then "milk" its nether regions.

"You can milk the anal glands so you can extract the fluid," [Joanne] Crawford [a wildlife ecologist at Southern Illinois University] said. "You can squirt [castoreum] out. It's pretty gross."

Due to such unpleasantness for both parties, castoreum consumption is rather small http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/castoreum.asp

Dried beetles: Today, cochineals are harvested mainly in Peru and the Canary Islands on plantations of prickly pear cacti, the bugs' preferred host. There, the insects are sun-dried, crushed, and dunked in an acidic alcohol solution to produce carminic acid, the pigment that eventually becomes carmine or cochineal extract, depending on processing. About 70,000 insects are needed to produce a pound of dye.

Cochineal may be made from bugs, but other synthetic red dyes such as Red No. 2 and Red No. 40, which carry far greater health risks, are derived from either coal or petroleum byproducts. Compared with these sources, bugs might sound positively appetizing. http://www.livescience.com/36292-red...l-carmine.html

Hydrolyzed Protein: Protein hydrolysis can be used to modify the allergenic properties of infant formula. The size of cow milk proteins in the formula and the milk becomes more suitable for consumption by babies suffering of Milk protein intolerance. http://organics.org/11-disgusting-na...-in-your-food/

Borax: It’s also known as E285. This ingredient has been banned from the U.S. and Canada, but is still present in EU.

Arsenic: The latest Thing That Is Killing Us: Arsenic in rice. The scare started from a Consumer Reports article from November 2012, which they titled “Arsenic in your food”. Following up on their equally-flawed arsenic-in-juice scare article, Consumer Reports has now investigated the arsenic content in rice and other cereals. What they found wasn’t particularly compelling, so, predictably, they gussied it up to exaggerate the impact of their article.

Chemicals are a modern boogeyman. Ew, chemicals. But arsenic is a natural element, and it’s part of the earth’s crust. We cannot ever get 100% of the arsenic out of our food. Our bodies have developed coping mechanisms for arsenic and other toxins. We do need to minimize exposures, and we need to be sensitive to industrial and farming practices that increase the toxin content of food. But it is unreasonable and silly to pretend that any exposure to “chemicals” is bad, or that exposures need to be driven to zero, no matter what the cost. http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/05/...enic-rice.html
    you have far too much free time and far too much interest in defending things nobody gives a **** about dude. I just posted it because I thought it was interesting, I'm not pushing an agenda.

I actually agree with you on the GMO "boogy man" thing, Pudge.
    Last edited by weazel; 08-15-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    you have far too much free time and far too much interest in defending things nobody gives a **** about dude. I just posted it because I thought it was interesting, I'm not pushing an agenda.

I don't think it was anything against you, just the people that made the article.

14. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post

It was nothing against you, it's just this irrational fear of our food supply is annoying to me.

Free Hotcarl!

16. The Following User High Fived Pudge For This Post:

It was nothing against you, it's just this irrational fear of our food supply is annoying to me.

I know man, I just couldn't imagine taking the time to find the articles to refute it. I'm too lazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

18. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

If the beaver has an anal glad, you are probably in the wrong hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Waldenverney View Post
    I don't understand how products with GMOs or pesticides can be called natural, it sucks.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information