Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziggy's Training Camp Report 7/29/16

Default Ziggy's Training Camp Report 7/29/16

It's time! This is truly the shortest offseason that I can remember. I took my first trip of the year down to Dove Valley today. It was a scorcher. Knowing that the Broncos aren't going full tilt in pads right now really limits observations, even more so with the lineman. So I decided to focus on the skill positions and back 7 more than anything today. Here's some observations.

Offense-

QB's- I was telling my buddy on the drive down that I just don't buy into the hype about Trevor Siemian starting. After watching today's practice, I can see the possibility. Mark Sanchez was flat out horrible today. He was off on short, intermediate, and long passes. It didn't look to be a scheme or familiarization problem on most of his misses. He just flat out missed his receivers left and right. Siemian was far more crisp and accurate. His arm strength is also head and shoulders above Sanchez's as well. Paxton Lynch looked like a rookie. Inconsistent would be the word I would use for him right now. At times you can see the reason that Elway traded up in the first round to get him. He has a strong arm, but puts a good touch on the ball on most of his short and intermediate passes. He had one long bomb that hit his receiver right in stride for what would have been a sure TD. At other times, he looks lost out there. Still, he was better than Sanchez today.

RBs- Without tackling and the lineman going full speed there is only so much you can take away from a practice watching the running backs. CJ looks sharp and is cutting well. His vision looks like it's in late season form. He looks sharp. Hillman looks like the same Hillman I've seen every year in camp. Average NFL running back who struggles to find the right gap. My fist take from Booker was that he's smaller than what I remember seeing in college. Of course, this is the first time I've seen him in person. He showed good vision and cutback ability. He looked very solid for a rookie. Juwaan Thompson looked sharp. He's big, runs well and broke of one long run. Kapri Bibbs is shifty and fast. I still stand by my assessment that he's the most talented pure runner on the team. It's a shame he can't do the other things required of a running back well.

TE's- None stood out to me today. Virgil Green and Jeff Huerman were switching off on first team reps. I'll pay more attention to this group as well as the lineman when I go next week.

WR's- You know when DT is on the field. Why? Because he's bigger than the TE's. The man is huge and it looks like he's been working on his footwork during the offseason. One of my favorite drills to watch is the ladder drill. It shows foot speed and lateral agility. DT smoked it. Sanders is the smoothest receiver I've seen in a Broncos uniform. Everything that he does is fluid. He's the sharpest one out there on routes, and he catches everything thrown his way. Jordan Taylor made the best catch I've ever seen in person on a football field. It was a thing of beauty. I have no doubt that it will be shown in the media all day long. He's an enigma. The man is truly slow as molasses. Still, no one can seem to cover him and I'd swear he has stickem on his hands. The man that surprised me the most today was Jordan Norwood. He's running the slot on first team O, and looks lightning quick. He impressed in punt return drills as well. The rest of the receivers did nothing to catch my eye today.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 07-29-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Hopefully goes on Lynch will become consistent.

Defense-

Linebackers- Von's PR tour did nothing to keep him out of shape. He's still cat quick and looks like he's at last year's weight. If he stays healthy this season, a defensive MVP is not out of the question. Brandon Marshall is playing Trev's old spot at LBer and Todd Davis is playing the other inside position on the first team. In the nickel alignment they bring TJ down in the box and take him off of the field. More about that later. The first team defense absolutely ate up the first team offense over and over today. Shane Ray was really impressive in the drills. He's looks like he's really been working on his footwork as well. I was very impressed with his overall speed and quickness. Nothing else of note in this group.

CB's- Chris Harris had an interception against the first team and Mark Sanchez. Sanchez floated the ball and Harris closed on it before the receiver could adjust. Mid-season form already. Roby manned the other side because Aquib Talib was in street clothes. He looks great as well. He was shutting down the right side of the field consistently. Lorenzo Doss had a good day and made a couple of plays that surprised me. He's really rounding into shape. None of the other CB's stood out.

S- TJ Ward is a brute. He's still solid on coverage and they are using him to replace Todd Davis at linebacker in passing situations. Darian Stewart moves to the strong safety spot and Justin Simmons plays FS. It makes for an even faster version of last year's defense. I'm excited about the nickel and dime packages. This defense is built on speed and it got faster in the offseason. Stewart looked solid on coverage. Status quo, and the Simmons kid is always around the ball quickly. Shiloh Keo made a good play in coverage, but the rest of the safeties did nothing to catch my eye.

Sorry for the short report guys. Next week's should be a lot different. I'll focus far more on the lineman, fullback and tight ends when the pads are popping. Evaluating lineman in a practice with no hitting at 3/4 speed is like evaluating game speed by watching the combine. It just doesn't always translate.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Thanks for the reports! Keep it up!

Awesome Ziggy! Thanks
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Hey thanks Zig!
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Go Siemian.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Defense-

Linebackers- Von's PR tour did nothing to keep him out of shape. He's still cat quick and looks like he's at last year's weight. If he stays healthy this season, a defensive MVP is not out of the question. Brandon Marshall is playing Trev's old spot at LBer and Todd Davis is playing the other inside position on the first team. In the nickel alignment they bring TJ down in the box and take him off of the field. More about that later. The first team defense absolutely ate up the first team offense over and over today. Shane Ray was really impressive in the drills. He's looks like he's really been working on his footwork as well. I was very impressed with his overall speed and quickness. Nothing else of note in this group.

CB's- Chris Harris had an interception against the first team and Mark Sanchez. Sanchez floated the ball and Harris closed on it before the receiver could adjust. Mid-season form already. Roby manned the other side because Aquib Talib was in street clothes. He looks great as well. He was shutting down the right side of the field consistently. Lorenzo Doss had a good day and made a couple of plays that surprised me. He's really rounding into shape. None of the other CB's stood out.

S- TJ Ward is a brute. He's still solid on coverage and they are using him to replace Todd Davis at linebacker in passing situations. Darian Stewart moves to the strong safety spot and Justin Simmons plays FS. It makes for an even faster version of last year's defense. I'm excited about the nickel and dime packages. This defense is built on speed and it got faster in the offseason. Stewart looked solid on coverage. Status quo, and the Simmons kid is always around the ball quickly. Shiloh Keo made a good play in coverage, but the rest of the safeties did nothing to catch my eye.

Sorry for the short report guys. Next week's should be a lot different. I'll focus far more on the lineman, fullback and tight ends when the pads are popping. Evaluating lineman in a practice with no hitting at 3/4 speed is like evaluating game speed by watching the combine. It just doesn't always translate.
    It's nice that you do this.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

That gringo WR ran a legit 4.5 at Pro Day, 36" vert, but...his 3-cone? 6.69, for a 6-4 white boy. Just give him an extension now and save about $40-50 MM in guaranteed money.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

11. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    That gringo WR ran a legit 4.5 at Pro Day, 36" vert, but...his 3-cone? 6.69, for a 6-4 white boy. Just give him an extension now and save about $40-50 MM in guaranteed money.
    Taylor is a honkey?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Taylor is a honkey?
    Si, pasty white hipster.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

14. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    He's not a 4.5 receiver in pads but he knows how to get open.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    He's not a 4.5 receiver in pads but he knows how to get open.
    He's probably only a 4.5 on that Rice track and field track he ran on for his Pro Day.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

At 6'4 you don't really have to be a burner. How fast was Eddie Mac?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

18. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    At 6'4 you don't really have to be a burner. How fast was Eddie Mac?
    He was probably 4.5-4.6. He wasn't slow by any means.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information