Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 (10) Getting Serious About Expansion...Who Wants In?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Big 12 (10) Getting Serious About Expansion...Who Wants In?

After all the happy talk about just being ten tight schools that don't need any others, the Big XII Conference (that one with only ten members) decided yesterday they really do want to expand. Maybe by two and maybe by four.

Top contenders (in no particular order):

BYU Cougars
    PRO: Large, loyal, national fan base with strong football and basketball programs
    CON: Refuses to play on Sundays. Many older players due to Mormon missionaries.

Houston Cougars
    PRO: Texas school in major metropolitan area that is heavily recruited. Major upgrades in football program.
    CON: Adds nothing to television footprint. Schools like Baylor and Texas may not want to recruit as equals with them.

Cincinnati Bearcats
    PRO: Competitive in football and basketball. Would geographically fit with West Virginia as an instant rivalry.
    CON: Lightly regarded commuter school without much national buzz.

Memphis Tigers
    PRO: Federal Express is offering to bankroll conference championships and sponsorship deals if the Tigers join.
    CON: See Cincinnati

Connecticut Huskies
    PRO: Northeast US Market penetration. Storied basketball program
    CON: Long distance for most teams to travel.

Colorado State Rams
    PRO: Would reclaim market share lost when Colorado departed for the PAC-12.
    CON: Programs lack national buzz

Univ. of Central Florida
    PRO: Competitive program in recruiting hotbed. Expands market share.
    CON: No nearby member schools.

Tulane University
    PRO: Extremely high academic standards. Good excuse for partying and great food.
    CON: Extremely poor sports programs. Last time they won anything was when Bush was president - the first Bush.

There's a buzz abut Colorado and Nebraska wanting to come back to the Big XII but I don't believe it any more than I believe the Beatles are getting back together.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Would really love to see Tulane get in. You are right that they have been lousy in sports for a while, but geographically and with the academic profile of the school, they make sense in those regards.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Lol, Colorado and Nebraska aren't coming back. They're in better conferences, athletically, academically and monetarily.

The reality for the Big IX is they have to get second tier programs and try to pump those programs up. BYU is the obvious choice for one spot. Selfishly I'd like the second to be Colorado State.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I read that and realized this writer is clueless about the relationships inside the Big XII. What he suggests is impossible but par for the course for people who don't understand what they are writing about.

Texas and OU have a very strong working relationship and insist that if one goes elsewhere than the Big XII, so will the other. In the same vein, OU insists Oklahoma State come along with them. So, if you want Texas or Oklahoma, you must get both plus Oklahoma State. There's only one P5 conference besides the Big XII where that can happen and that is the PAC-12. It might even make sense for the PAC-12 to absorb all three plus one more (probably Texas Tech) to become the PAC-16.

However, you must then deal with the other major barrier - Texas' contract with the Longhorn Network. Now, before you rip Texas for not sharing the revenue from that, remember it was ESPN that pitched this to Texas not the other way around. If Disney wants to come to your living room and hand you millions of dollars and tons of free publicity are you going to say "no, thanks"? Of course you aren't. And would you willingly give up this cash cow to join the SEC or Big 10 that insists on equal revenue between all schools? Of course you aren't.

So as long as there is a Longhorn Network, there's practically no chance that Texas will leave the Big XII. Maybe the Big 10 can poach Kansas. Good for them. Can they poach Iowa State? Oh, PLEASE do! But they'll just water down their football conference even more adding either of those two.

No, what they all lust for are Texas and Oklahoma but, frankly, they aren't willing to give those schools enough incentive to leave what they have. So the Big XII has no choice but to rebuild a conference around some other non-P5 schools.

Interestingly, what caused the about face by the Big XII on expansion is most likely that the PAC-12 *appeared* to have real interest in adding the University of Houston and the Big XII realizing they didn't want the PAC-12 with easy access to recruiting Houston-area kids. I don't think the PAC-12 is all that hot about adding Houston but the Big XII can't take that chance. It's all a giant bluff which I think is going to work out grand for UH.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 07-21-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Who the hell cares if the BYU players are older and won't play on Sunday? Is that the best you could find on them?

8. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Longhorn Network and Texas' reluctance to start a Big XII Network destroyed the conference. You can blame ESPN all you want for it( but Texas screwed the pooch.

There's plenty of discord in the Big XII too. The writer knows exactly what he's talking about. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State have all tried to get out at some point. It's because the money is disproportionate.

Mo. What are your thoughts on Texas and the longhorn network?

11. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    He loves them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Should have made a Big XII Network instead.

Should have made a Big XII Network instead.
    But Texas is the only Big 12 team worth watching.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

But Texas is the only Big 12 team worth watching.
    In what sport?

In what sport?
    All of them. Have you seen Man of the House?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The writer knows exactly what he's talking about. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State have all tried to get out at some point. It's because the money is disproportionate.
    What stopped them? Answer: nothing. Nothing at all.

OU is smart enough to realize that their cash cows are playing Texas and Oklahoma State. They've talked about leaving the Big XII *with* them but they aren't about to leave *without* them.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The Houston Cougars have added two major players in their corner in their campaign for Big XII inclusion - Texas governor Greg Abbott and UT president Greg Fenves. Legislative approval is important because Texas, Texas Tech and Houston are state-supported schools (Baylor and TCU are private schools) so legislation may be drawn up to include or exclude UH in their quest (they were aced out by Baylor in the original Big XII layout because Texas' governor at the time was Ann Richards, a Baylor alum).

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information